Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free gifts and charity shops

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In theory someone was to donate say, a paperback or something that they got free with a paper ofr magazine - would a charity shop be allowed to sell it on - especially if it was emblazoned on the back with "not for resale". Common sense dictates that no they wouldn't be able to, but seeing as iin and out you can get some pretty decent merchandise free which might go unwanted, it just seems wasteful not to be able to donate it.

Comments

• Options
    They'd sell it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    They'd sell it.
    :yes:
  • Options
    It's not being sold for profit, as such, so maybe that makes a difference.

Even if that's not the case, I doubt Cosmo or whoever has someone eagle-eyeing Oxfam in case one of their paperbacks turns up. I'd say it's not a problem. :)
  • Options
    I've seen book with not for resale printed on them, but they then went on to say unless for charity. Personally I don't see why not, as its not being sold to make a profit, the money for it sale is going to help some needy child, animal, african nation etc
  • Options
    They sell them - I've seen all sorts of things in Oxfam, eg books free with the Daily Mail to free CDs from magazines.

Do you reckon people sell them on ebay and get away with it? :chin:
  • Options
    I've seen a few things free from magazines books included being sold on ebay.
  • Options
    I bought a free edition of Sex And The City in Oxfam.
  • Options
    i think charity shops have different rules from other shops as they aren't trading, they're fundraising.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i think charity shops have different rules from other shops as they aren't trading, they're fundraising.

And even if they are breaking the law, do you think the Mail Group wants to take Oxford Sick Kitten Rescue shop to court over a few quid?