Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Berlusconi Defeated?

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
CHING!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4897994.stm

Well, we can but hope that this is true. I hope any recounts affirm Italy hasmade a good decision at last and Berlusconi will not return. Yay! Hopefully now Berlusconi can be prosecuted for his carious shady dealings and crimes, and Italy will be on the up again.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It won 49.8% of the vote against 49.7% for the governing centre-right.

It’s definitely extremely close, it’s looking a bit like Bush v. Gore in 2000. I don’t know who will emerge the ‘winner’ but I read that if it’s Prodi since it’s this close his coalition might not last long and so there could be new elections – ditto too I think if one party doesn’t win both houses. Even if Berlusconi has lost he's said he'll stay in politics and with Italian governments usually not lasting very long it’s quite conceivable that he could win future elections and become Prime Minister again.
  • Options
    Ah the tenacious staying power of the utterly corrupt in Italian politics. Truly a phenomenon to behold!
  • Options
    We can only hope the fascist cunt has lost.

Given that he controls an incredible 90% of the Italian media and that he's one of the most corrupt, lying cheating scumbags in modern history, it's a kind of miracle he didn't "win" by a massive majority.

If he didn't control 90% of the media and weren't a corrupt fuck, he would have polled 20% of the votes max.

But as things stand he could still 'do a Florida' and cheat his way into power, just as the chimpanzee did. I certainly wouldn't put it beyond him.

Anyways, fingers crossed. The fewer warmongering necon rightwingers left in power in Europe, the better the place gets.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    We can only hope the fascist cunt has lost.

Given that he controls an incredible 90% of the Italian media and that he's one of the most corrupt, lying cheating scumbags in modern history, it's a kind of miracle he didn't "win" by a massive majority.

If he didn't control 90% of the media and weren't a corrupt fuck, he would have polled 20% of the votes max.

But as things stand he could still 'do a Florida' and cheat his way into power, just as the chimpanzee did. I certainly wouldn't put it beyond him.

Anyways, fingers crossed. The fewer warmongering necon rightwingers left in power in Europe, the better the place gets.

Yup. He only got the .1% because he is corrupt and most likley got his Mafia freinds to "infuluence" the result.

I hope he is fucked now, and loses. He's a right cunt and deserves it.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yup. He only got the .1% because he is corrupt and most likley got his Mafia freinds to "infuluence" the result.

I hope he is fucked now, and loses. He's a right cunt and deserves it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4898930.stm

I guess it's a bad day for Berlusconi and the mafia..
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4898930.stm

I guess it's a bad day for Berlusconi and the mafia..

Wow! :eek: Never thought they'd get him!
  • Options
    Prodi won by 25,000 votes and a million ballot papers were spoiled. That's a close election by anyone's standards.
  • Options
    The BBC wrote:
    But his rival, centre-right PM Silvio Berlusconi, refused to admit defeat, saying there had been irregularities.

Oh the fucking irony :D
  • Options
    Not sure Mafia will be that pissed as Berlusconi originally got in because most of his precursors were in the Mafia's pockets and thing about someone who is independently rich is that they're rather difficult to bribe.
  • Options
    Actually the thing about the obscenely wealthy is those which THEY are able to buy and bribe.
  • Options
    Actually the thing about the obscenely wealthy is those which THEY are able to buy and bribe.
    Berlusconi's bribing the mafia now? :chin:
  • Options
    Well, looks like he is out. I doubt he will be out for long though, i reckon he will be back in the next election or maybe a special election will be called with in a year or so after his own media assets attempt to bring down the new Italian leader.

As for a better future for Italy, i dont think so. Kicking out a Fascist for a Communist is hardly a change that will make much impact on Italy's betterment.
  • Options
    It doesnt look like Berlusconi is accepting defeat and he's claiming poll irregularities... see here
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    It doesnt look like Berlusconi is accepting defeat and he's claiming poll irregularities... see here

500,000 ballots were annulled. When it’s this close there obviously needs to be an investigation into why these votes were annulled. Berlusconi is only doing exactly what Prodi would be doing were the situation the other way around.
  • Options
    Gee Kentish, unable to think of any others who Berlusconi might bribe to achieve his aims and, especially, to quash scrutiny and/or legal repercussions for his unabashed corruption whilst in office?
  • Options
    So long as Berlusconi doesn't manage to pull the right strings and position the right people in place for the recounting...

I don't think I'm being cynical in suspecting the worst...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So long as Berlusconi doesn't manage to pull the right strings and position the right people in place for the recounting...

I don't think I'm being cynical in suspecting the worst...

I personally don't think you're being cynical enough. Whilst it's perfectly possible Berlusconi is lying through his teeth about the annulments or that they were legitimately annulled; given the past history of Italian politics its just as likely that there has been dirty business by someone on the other side.

Just because Berlusconi isn't squeaky clean doesn't mean his opponents are.