Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clockwork Orange

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
.... what's the big deal? Why do people like that movie so much? Is it because the book was really good or something?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't like it personally but it does give food for thought and points for discussion.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is interesting and provides a viewpoint of where society is going. Provokes debate. Is a good take on tings though, and we seem to be getting worryingly close to it in areas you know!

It is an interesting film, but not about the trains with which it shares the name though.
  • Options
    When you see it now it doesn't seems as violent or that socking because we have seen much more since then, but you have to remember that when this movie was release it was at a time where movie that disturbe were not release to the public that much. That's why it had such a shocking effect back then and not now, if you look at it now there is still the psychological approach that still seems a bit disturbing but doesn't seems that violent anymore because violence in movie have evolved and if much bigger in movies those day. I still have quite enjoyed.
  • Options
    Its one of my favourites, but tbh I didn't find it very shocking when I first saw it. Just.. interesting. I remember my art teacher finding out I liked it and being really shocked, saying it was a nasty, horrific film etc etc. And she's not particularly old-fashioned.

One of the best things about it is the 'Nadsat' language Alex and his droogs use.. 'eggy-wegs', 'in-out', 'viddied' etc. I find it pretty entertaining.
  • Options
    Good film. Better book.

I liked it for all the random Russian that he spouts. Lets me show off to my mates by knowing what 'droog' means and the like.

Interesting end aswell. Personally I prefer Malcolm McD in If... which most people haven't seen. It used to be a dark fantasy of mine to renact the final scene of that film...
  • Options
    Both the film and book are real horrorshow. It's aged a bit but it's still pretty provocative.
  • Options
    It's a bit like Lost in Translation, one of those films where you have to look beyond what's happening on the screen.
  • Options
    Meh, didnt capture me.
  • Options
    I like it. Especially the way that Alex drifts between the role of anti-hero and protagonist throughout the story.

Definitely not for the faint hearted though.
  • Options
    I think any film where its own director withdraws it from the screen because of its social impact is one to look out for.

Aside from being a skillfully crafted film, it rings truer in todays society than it ever did back then....

Droogs.....chavs....funny how fiction aint so far from reality.
  • Options
    I have got it but havent watched it. Can anyone give me a brief paragraph on what it's about please?
  • Options
    Same here. Got it but haven't watched it yet. It's in the collection of 'things to watch' along with Shawshank Redemption.
  • Options
    I have got it but havent watched it. Can anyone give me a brief paragraph on what it's about please?

Alex is the leader of a violent gang in a future Brittish distopia. The film focus' on his actions, his subsequent arrest and his forced "rehabilitation".
  • Options
    The joke is that I have the DVD but it dont work on my PC or DVD player.