Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

msn file transfer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a problem receiving files by transfer through msn (always songs but also sometimes other files/photos). It used to work fine, but all of a sudden I cant receive songs. This is the case for receiving from a bunch of different ppl, not just one in particular and they are friends that i have received files from in the past so not random ppl sending me infected files, so I am figuring it is something on my computer, not their files.

I click accept like usual and it seems to transfer then says the file is received but then when i click on open, it says that windows has blocked this file as potentially harmful and it wont let me open it.
I thought maybe I could go open the files manually but I cant find them anywhere. Even though it says received to the usual 'my received files' folder, they are not in there, they are not in the recycling bin, and the search function cant find them on the computer at all.

Tried lowering my firewall setting through the control panel so they are all on medium or low-medium instead of high but this made no difference.

Very frustrating not being able to receive stuff! :impissed:
any ideas would be very gratefully recieved! thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    It's due to security, and to be honest as annoys as it get's i'd rather be over cautious than get another bastard virus that takes an age to get rid of. It happens quite a lot to me. Song's / .exe files etc etc. I found the best way was to zip what i want to send then transfer it to whoever i want it to go to. They then scan the file on their pc with their own anti virus software and 9 times out of 10 that works.

Other's will no doubt have found better other way's to solve it but this one work's for my contacts.

The strange thing is that I personally have never experienced this happening, supopse that's because my pc is a fortress though.
  • Options
    You can turn it off but I cant remember how, try googling the problem
  • Options
    I used to have that, and I can't remember for the life of me how I fixed it >.<.

I'll try and figure out how I did it though.
  • Options
    This has happened to me too, I just think it randomly fixed itself.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    You can turn it off but I cant remember how, try googling the problem

http://apatch.ikhost.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for that, very useful :thumb:
  • Options
    after you recieve the file dont open it by clicking the link to it in the chat window, go to my recieved files .. ive done it a few times by accident tho, if that happens don't click ok when windows tells you that its potentially harmful, browse to the file and copy/paste it then click ok ;)