Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vote Liberal Democrat On May 4th And Mr Blair stays put

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Newsnight has discovered that if the local election opinion polls do not change Labour will loose 130 seats, Liberal Democrats will gain seats and Conservatives may lose 75 seats. As happened in last year's General Election if you switch from Labour to Liberal Democrat Mr Blair will stay put. It is believed that the Conservatives gaining at the local elections would create panick in Labour ranks and push Mr Blair's departure sooner rather than later.

Cameron did say that he believes the party is changing. He said more young members and those from ethnic minorities should help keep the party on the centre ground of politics. Mr Cameron's team did say they hoped the support they have been getting from crowds is a good sign. However were they just ordinary working class supporters and members?

Comments

• Options
    Cameron did say that he believes the party is on the centre ground of politics. ?
    inb bed with tony then.
    no principals ...no ideas ...lets go with what seems to be working ...new labour :lol::heart: :razz:
  • Options
    Blair, Labour, Lib Dems, they are all for the chop as far as i am concerned.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Blair, Labour, Lib Dems, they are all for the chop as far as i am concerned.
    but it's ok for the tory party to occupy the same slot lab currenttly do?
  • Options
    If the Torries stepped in and did as bad a job, they could have the chop as well!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    If the Torries stepped in and did as bad a job, they could have the chop as well!
    you don't understand ...the tory party are saying they are going to occupy the centre ground ...the same ground already occupied meaning ...not much change then.
    what has happened to vision?
    whAT HAS HAPPENED IS WE ARE voting for the banks.
  • Options
    So you would like the parties to leave the middle cround and take their rightful places off at either spectrum?

Boom and Bust on one side.
    Union power and the 3 day week on the other?
    No more middle ground politics?
  • Options
    _40033793_tory_boy%5B1%5D.jpg
  • Options
    Like i said, i would vote for an alternative if there was one!
  • Options
    you don't understand ...the tory party are saying they are going to occupy the centre ground ...the same ground already occupied meaning ...not much change then.
    what has happened to vision?
    whAT HAS HAPPENED IS WE ARE voting for the banks.

Well the Tories don’t want ID cards. They don’t want to ban us from having a smoke in the pub. They don’t want to ban people from criticising religion. And they don’t think fox hunting should be banned. With Labour’s fetish of banning things and the illiberal Democrats backing them all the way if you’d rather the State didn’t interfere even more in your life you should give the Conservatives a chance.
  • Options
    Well the Tories don’t want ID cards. They don’t want to ban us from having a smoke in the pub. They don’t want to ban people from criticising religion. And they don’t think fox hunting should be banned. With Labour’s fetish of banning things and the illiberal Democrats backing them all the way if you’d rather the State didn’t interfere even more in your life you should give the Conservatives a chance.
    first good thing anyomne has said about the torys!
  • Options

i dont recal the lib dems backing labour all the way on removing freedoms i do however remeber the tories doing this. i dont for a second believe a tory government will be any different to what we have now, anything to get into power then back to their normal ways.
    With ever lowering turnouts i feel the best thing to do is not vote hopefully when turnout gets so patheticly low someone will be able to force through some electoral reforms.
  • Options
    An electoral reform for a a gingle supreme ruler who has total power to get things done...
  • Options
    Nah, the LibDems don't want ID cards either.

The Tories, for all the bluster, seemed quite happy to let the bill pass. And as for fox hunting, that was an open vote, and many Tories voted for the ban.
  • Options
    Vote for any political party, and Blair stays. He won't go until Cherie tells him to. Even members of his own cabinet want him out, but he doesn't listen. We're lumbered with him for the foreseeable future. :(
  • Options
    i dont recal the lib dems backing labour all the way on removing freedoms

The LibDems are for banning smacking, they're for the 'religious hatred' law (which can effectively ban people from criticising different religions) and most LibDems backed the smoking ban.
    i do however remeber the tories doing this. i dont for a second believe a tory government will be any different to what we have now, anything to get into power then back to their normal ways.
    With ever lowering turnouts i feel the best thing to do is not vote hopefully when turnout gets so patheticly low someone will be able to force through some electoral reforms.

Well most Tory MPs were against the smoking ban, against the ‘religious hatred’ law infringing free speech and most Conservatives oppose ID cards.

:lol: And electoral 'reform' is a joke.

FPTP isn’t perfect but it works far better than any other method – and anyway it’s only in the LibDems interests, Labour and the Tories aren’t interested so anybody who thinks ‘someone will be able to force through some electoral reforms’ is kidding themselves.

Meanwhile were it to happen we could look forward to weak governments, fragile coalitions and a complete disintegration of democracy as we know it. With PR you can forget manifestos, the eventual coalition that materialises is almost always a mishmash of often conflicting policies and ideas leaving the voters with something different to what they voted for. Minor centrist parties with little electoral support that can flexibly go into a coalition, left or right also end up permanently in government, forming coalitions with left and right – this was displayed by Hans-Dietrich Genscher in Germany who accumulated 18 years as German Foreign Minister despite being from the FDP – the 3/4th biggest party.
  • Options
    The LibDems are for banning smacking, they're for the 'religious hatred' law (which can effectively ban people from criticising different religions) and most LibDems backed the smoking ban.
    In short, the LibDems are even more useless than the current lot.
  • Options
    Just a thought, but aren't most of the issues discussed here National?

Isn't this a local election?

So why aren't people concerned about what will happen in their own area? You won't make any impact on Fox Hunting, Smoking Bans, ID Cards etc with a vote in this election.
  • Options
    Really things depend on how the Tories are backing the anti-terror laws and the removal of civil liberties which personally I see as very worrying...

I would sooner have a bunch of opportunist smarmy spoilt brats in Government than people who are going to slowly errode our rights.

The longer Labour are in, the stronger they'll get.
  • Options
    It will be V for Vendetta in real life if Labour stay in power.

I recently heard the torries plans for Africa, as they say Aid is not a solution trade with Africa is as it allows the african nations to develop their own economies with out dependency. i saw several flaws but also several positives in that.