Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Saving for uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just wondering if people have been saving up for uni. Im starting in September and have saved a fair amount but i doubt that will be enough.

How much have people saved so far? Whats a good amount to have to take? ( i know the more money the better but anyway :p)

Just been thinking recently amount money etc for uni and worrying if i will have enough etc etc

:D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I had £3k stashed away before I left for uni, (in an isa) that lasted till mid year 2, taking into account I had student loan, and a bit of money from the 'rents.

I'm skint at the moment though. I finish uni at the beginning of june, but the last (and biggest) lot of student loan doesn't come in till 28th april! it's stupid. apparantly they work on a terms system, where as most uni's work in semesters. silly!
  • Options
    I'm going uni in September and have virtually nothing saved, I figure anything I could save up would be tiny compared to what I will owe and feel I might aswell try and enjoy what I have now before I'm even more broke!

I know it sounds Naíve but if you have any info to make me change my mind let me know!
  • Options
    i didnt save anything for uni, but then i had a job lined up before i moved as my company transfered me, so i had wages all the time
  • Options
    Problem is I'm doing medicine so it is unlikely that I'll have time for a part time job:( I'll manage somehow:)
  • Options
    I never saved anything up at all, i suppose i'm not too bad because i get 6 grand bursery a year (which isn't really enough) but helps i guess. I wanted to have as much fun with my mates before i left.I wish i had saved now though, gone through all my student overdraft on rent and deposits for my new place and travel expencies to placements. Wish i could get a job but because i'm doing nursing i can only get the odd bank shift every now and again :rolleyes:
  • Options
    There are quite a few jobs around in nursing, not neccessarily banking....I'm a part time phlebotomist and it pays quite well (band 2..not the best but its decent enough) and its also some good experience for when you become a nurse:D - get a skill under your belt:D
  • Options
    I didnt save anything before i went to uni last sept, spent it all on a good holiday in the summer, and ive been fine this year, as long as your not stupid with your money you'll be okay
  • Options
    as your not stupid with your money you'll be okay

very true

thing is, I've had quite a lot of other expensis these last two months, bills for whole years worth of electricity & gas, renting a suit for a ball, several months broadband bill, payment for studio time with my band... it all adds up.

it's just the timing of the student loan that's a pain in the arse!
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    There are quite a few jobs around in nursing, not neccessarily banking....I'm a part time phlebotomist and it pays quite well (band 2..not the best but its decent enough) and its also some good experience for when you become a nurse:D - get a skill under your belt:D

Ooh really? I might have a look into that, ta for that!
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    thing is, I've had quite a lot of other expensis these last two months, bills for whole years worth of electricity & gas, renting a suit for a ball, several months broadband bill, payment for studio time with my band... it all adds up.

it's just the timing of the student loan that's a pain in the arse!

Yeah thats true, got hit with the years water bill an that the other week an im a bit skint now untill the next one comes in.
  • Options
    i had nothing saved! i don't believe in it. :p
  • Options
    Well im working at the moment but i think i will quit that sometime in the summer just so i can enjoy time with friends and were planning on a holiday :D but i think if im careful and work for the next 3 months or so i can get about 3K saved up, maybe a little less. Maybe im worrying too much :p
  • Options
    As it happens, I started working again this week. Most of what I will earn there will be going towards savings for university, though I will have to spend some of it on getting hold of a few things. For example, I need more clothes and I'll be wanting a laptop, so some of the money is going on that, but much will be saved. How much exactly, I cannot yet be sure.
  • Options
    I didn't save up any money before I went to University and I've been fine. I've had a part time job.
  • Options
    Didnt save shit before I went uni.

-1000 Overdraft because I buy more clothes than most women.

I have a part time job though and should be getting a nice 600 pay cheque after easter holidays.

Just dont worry about it, pay off overdrafts in the summer break and have fun while you can.
  • Options
    i had about £1000 stashed in an isa before i left; literally my life savings and by november i was about -£300 including my loan of about £1,400. So yeah basically i spent nearly £3,000 in 3 months.

They were bloody good months though.
  • Options
    I'm going later this year hopefully and have a grand total of £0 savings. Originally I planned to save at least £2,000 but yeah that never happened. Now I have holidays to save for. I plan to work over the summer to get a bit of money together, but probably won't be much.
  • Options
    I have nothing saved at all. I'll be staying at ome and I'm usually quite good with not wasting money. I plan to have a job too. I know it won't be easy though because obviously I'll need stuff like a laptop, books, pens and stuff and I'll still be going out at the weekend and things.