Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family Trees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, as it is me and my mother have spent the last few months accumulating info about our family. Was just wondering if anyones been doing anything similar, and the sorts of resources they used. We've got a 3 month or so trial with Ancestry.com which is about to expire, due to it being part of buying a Family Tree Maker for the computer at christmas time. It is so expensive to buy a membership in order to continue searching records on the internet.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any other means of collecting data about families. We're just starting to progress but records don't seem to go back far enough online, and we're not pro's at this sort of thing - it's becoming so interesting at the moment and it feels like we can really push ahead with it without forking out a lot of money for it.

Also wondering how other peoples experiences have gone tracing their families - it's dug up some really sad and some really amazing stuff for my family!

Comments

• Options
    my old man spent years putting our family tree together.
    priests pirates and vagabonds!
    the most interesting bit for me was the exodus to america in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I daren't start trying to do a family tree. It's more like a family forrest!

isnt everyones?
  • Options
    Back in the 1700s someone in my family baked hedgehogs. :yum:

Mt heritage also contains gamblers, fist fighters, people who disappear for 10 years at a time and a vast aray of dodgy charictars.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Back in the 1700s someone in my family baked hedgehogs. :yum:

i did that about five years ago!
    baked in mud in an open fire ...quite tasty too.
  • Options
    i did that about five years ago!
    baked in mud in an open fire ...quite tasty too.

:lol: