Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If you have a mouse problem...

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Just thought I would share my little tip with you guys - basically I live in this very old cottage with nooks and crannies (and sometimes I forget that mice love cereal - you know how it is when you pour it into your bowl and it spills all over the place and you forget to clean it up). Anyway I get home one night last week to find at least three mice running and darting from one corner to the other in the lounge, I'm screaming, and they are probably doing their own little mice screams. :eek2:

This is not the first time we have had mice in the house, but it’s been at least 10 years since we have. We tried out lots of different ways to get rid of them with none really working until we eventually took drastic action to get a cat (a stray from the village that no-one wanted - yes we did put signs up to check it wasn't a lost cat!)

Before that, the first tactic was the friendly mouse trap - problem being that you have to actually come face to face with them, and if you forget they are in there they suffocate anyway and it's not a pretty sight, or smell.

Second attempt was poison - the thing with this is when they eat it and start feeling pretty damn awful they go and find somewhere quiet to die, which is normally under a sofa or somewhere you can't see. The only way you know they have died is when you smell something like gone-off broccoli and then you have to get rid of a rotting mouse, not nice.

So now, years and years later the little blighters are back - this time I bought one of those high-pitched contraptions that you plug in the wall - you can't hear the noise but to mouse ears it's very loud and they hate it. It works by producing a powerful ultrasound that dogs and cats can’t hear (but if you have a hamster or guinea pig that lives indoors this is not a good idea!)

Problem solved - no mice to be seen, nothing dead and no having to pick them up in one of those old fashioned traps where they die in a horrible way or those traps where they are trapped by glue, lovely.
:D

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Or alternatively, get a simple little device for a fiver which plugs into a wall socket.
    The idea behind this device is that it distributes soundwaves only a mouse / rat can hear - therefore keeping them at bay.

Kinda like what some supermarkets do to keep young fuckwits at bay.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    That's what I'm talking about!! Read the paragraph towards the end!!!
  • Options
    Its not as nice as a cat.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    :no: you can't stroke a plug in sound thingy
  • Options
    sounds good, we had rats in my house a while ago, bastards climbing over the kitchen surfaces and stuff, because they could get in from the outside as there were holes under the kitchen units, somehow got in my draw and ate all my cookies! :(

landlord eventually (although he did a good job once it was done) cover and sealed all the holes, and they never came back :)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:

Yup. Cats win as anti-mouse devices.

They even get entertainment from it. As do you, until it puts the bleeding mouse in your lap/shoe/bed.

We need a cat 'costhere are rats under the Shed again.