Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i don't know my style!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi is anyone else suppering from syndrome FD(fashion disaster!) I used to like a smart casual appearance when i was with my ex boyfriend. Jeans and fancy tops kinda thing. Then i broke up with him early last year and a friend lived with me for a couple of weeks. She's ubér fashionable so always ahead and despite being size 14 on bottom like me, she can pull anything off(cow! lol) since then i became obsessed with what everyone is wearing, only beginning to like trends when they die out, my new fella is so stylish, he again can pull anything off, he is the david becham type style by default but slips into boyband in the blink of an eye. Have loved the last 5 months fashion but am starting to feel like i have liked it because it is quite emo-ey(is that a non offensive description), i can't help feeling like i might be more drawn to this style of clothes but dont know where to begin. I love 'alternative' nights out(kaiser cheifs,killerz etc) but equally like regular club music. I have just purchased a bright summery chequered shirt dress to wear with jeans and gold shoes that wrap around ankle, which i like but i would say was more contemporary than alternative! I dont know where i'm heading with this post. I am confused, i dont see how i can combine my tastes at all!

Comments

• Options
    why do you have to be in a group? i know for me i dont always follow trends. if I like something, then il wear it, added bonus if its fashionable at the time.
  • Options
    no no no! reading my post back i know why you get that impression but its not the case :) I think girls look emo-ey(please suggest a better word) sometimes even if they arent wearing things to suggest it. I like that look. maybe its because of my cashflow, cash is low at the mo so things i buy have to match what i ahve already and it frustrates me because i want OUTFITS!
  • Options
    i think i may be wanting my lip pierced....i know i can take it out if i dont like it so that doesnt worry me, but i won't be able to wear it when im working, wonder what the healing time is...
  • Options
    ^You seem to be struggling with your image, and tbh getting a lip piercing is the last thing you want to do. You're complaining about fashion being 'emo-ey' and yet you want your lip pierced? Surely that will just make you look more emo-ey?

I suggest you calm down a bit and talk to yourself rationally. It's only fashion and fashion doesn't define who you are.

Ilora x
  • Options
    When I first got my lip done it'd half close up within 30minutes...it took around 6 months before I could take it out and leave it out for days without it closing up. You can get plastic retainers to keep it open but the only one's i've found are quite long so would look ridiculous unless you've got a really chunky lip.

I'd advise against it if you're not sure.
  • Options
    maby you should just go out in the clothes that you like that you feel confindent and just feel well you.
  • Options
    i get the impression that you get swept away by whatever habits/styles the people who are involved in your life at the time have. i think that you should forget about defining some sort of set style for you and stop paying attention to what other people like. and then when you go out shopping and you try things on, only buy what makes you feel great. if you have any doubts at all, don't buy it. after a while, you'll have enough things built up in yuor closet that you like that haven't been influenced by other people, and then you'll start to see what your style is.

whats emo anyway?
  • Options