Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Birdflu is the word on the street

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Bird Flu - Actually a female actress for Taiwan.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    No much to be worked up about really since there is only a very small chance it will mutate into a human-passable virus, and we're powerless to do anything about it anyway.

I guess farmers will be a bit concerned though- they might have to take all their poultry inside, and if more cases are found perhaps there will be a cull.
  • Options
    I'd be nervous if I was a Swan or if I decided to share my bedroom with Poultry, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

There's a very small chance it might mutate into something which is more dangerous, but in its current form it is a lot less dangerous than something like Menegitis.
  • Options
    There are some who would be disgusted by all this complacency.Where`s the fear ?

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?file=/headlines06/0312-06.htm
  • Options
    I love the daily star take on bird flu, They said in an article;

"As the government tells people not to worry about the coming apocalyptic epidemic, they secretly dig mass graves for the millions who will certainly die! Full story page 15."
  • Options
    In fact there are only 2 mutations needed for the avian version to become transmissable in humans, and one of them has already been detected in some samples. So yes, there is definitely a very real chance of it going epidemic in humans.

There is a lot we can do about it. We are already capable of producing vaccine; but currently there are two possible strains that could break out, so rather than just produce vaccine to both the govenment would rather wait and see what happens.

A lot of people will die if it does become transmissable in humans.
  • Options
    What I find vaguely puzzling is that they say that chicken is safe as long as it is cooked properly before eating. But surely if the chicken was affected by bird flu, then handling the carcass BEFORE cooking would be constitute a risk in spite of washing one's hands etc (e.g. microscopic particles floating in the air)? :confused:
  • Options
    I'm concerned for my cats, if we get bird flu in London I'm going to have to keep them indoors, cats in other countries have got it and I'm not risking mine.
  • Options
    Yeah same here. They're not going to take being kept indoors kindly though... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    From the World Health Organization:
    WHO wrote:
    to date, no epidemiological data suggest that the disease can be transmitted to humans through properly cooked food (even if contaminated with the virus prior to cooking)

See also the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for more info...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah same here. They're not going to take being kept indoors kindly though... :rolleyes:

Tell me about it, mine are going to turn nasty if they are forced in.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Tell me about it, mine are going to turn nasty if they are forced in.

Remember to cook them properly though ... :yum:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Remember to cook them properly though ... :yum:

You look into this face and tell him you're going to eat him.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You look into this face and tell him you're going to eat him.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! :blush:

Forgive me, kitty!