Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fibre Optics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinknig of turning my Garage into an equipiment room and i'm thinknig of using a fibre optic network, reason for that is the cable length can be greater as 100mbit ethernet is limited to 300ft before needing a router. As far as i know fibre optics can go ALOT further, plus for an odd reason the cables are cheaper,
Has any one had any experience with Fibre Optics and who should i buy routeing equpiment from? cisco are in my mind but i know their expensive.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Is it really worth the extra hassle? Cat5 should be good for 100m or so, which is a fair old distance.

Thick ethernet is good for 500m or so, but you'll be limited to 10Mbps. Shouldn't be an issue for web browsing and whatnot - it'll still shift 1mb per second or so...
  • Options
    from what ive been reading fibre optic is good for around 600km. I'd use ethernet as it'd be a simpler technology to integrat between the equipiment and end-users ( a simple NIC card ) but the main problems are
    1) Costs
    2) Where the hell do you put over 300Ft of Cable?

for 2) i was thinknig of using lampposts since i dont reckon i can afford to dig up the road and my next option was wireless on the tops of lampposts, that gives a goot 200+ft per transmitter but thats costly too.

Would i beable to moust cable to lampposts? or would i endup setting up my own telegraph poles?
  • Options
    Hang on a minute here... what exactly are you planning on doing?
  • Options
    Networking a small area around my premisies.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're getting out of my scope. You'll have to look into the legalities of running cable along lampposts.
  • Options
    its the legalities im concerned about, i cant see the harm but its worth getting the paper work done.
  • Options
    Council permits, etc. will be needed and underground is probably a better bet than over lamposts