Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So now you can get the death penalty for not killing anyone

The jury in the US trial of confessed al-Qaeda plotter Zacarias Moussaoui has decided he is eligible to face the death penalty when he is sentenced.

[...]Prosecutors argue he should be executed because he lied about the 9/11 plot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4874178.stm

Great... so now 'aiding and abaiting', or perhaps even 'membership of a terrorist organisaion' is punishable with the death penalty in the good old US of A.

Before anyone says anything, nobody is siding with Moussaoui or defending his actions. But anyone concerned about basic rights and the Constitution in America must be very worried that rules can be changed and/or ignored when we don't like someone.

And course, it hasn't quite cross the minds of those pushing for the death penalty that few things would probably pleased Moussaoui more than become a martyr at the hands of the 'Great Satan'.

Do these people never learn?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's one way to make sure he never actually speaks to anyone about the things he knows, isn't it?
  • Options
    Basically yes Klint. If one bothers to actually go back and look at the convoluted charade surrounding Moussaoui and the feds, the likelihood of his actual involvement with any fantasy ubiquitous (yet comparatively inactive) "Al Qaeda" boogeyman group is all the more dubious.

If he has any real information pertaining to the attacks you can bet it involves the real planners in the heart of the US administration and ancillary MIC agencies, not guys in caves in Afghanistan.

But, who wants to bother with investigative scrutiny of the matter when they can more easily and complacently stay atop the now entrenched paradigm bandwagon and just accept whatever the mainstream "news" tells them is so?

*sigh
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    That's one way to make sure he never actually speaks to anyone about the things he knows, isn't it?
    Yup.

Well, its now death for people who haven't done anything at all.

Joy. Stalin would be proud! Imagine him now... knowing he has won... and made the USA as bad as himself.

Wonderful. So what nation ARE we to back for freedoms? For the good old values?
  • Options
    Stop looking to back "nations" and perhaps start organising to drive your own power hungry leaders and their corporatist masters out of government and public life altogether.

And I dont mean just by toddling down and checking a box on a ballot.

Calling the ghost of Cromwell!
  • Options
    Gah!

Sedition still has pretty harsh penalties, doesn't it?

The US and UK are now turning their predatory and evil dispostions on their own people once more. For them it's business as usual, just the target has changed.

For most of the people who are going to fall foul of them it's going to come out of a clear blue sky, apparently from nowhere.

For those of us who see the evil cult for what it is it's going to be no surprise but ofc we are ignored, and will be until it's too late (i.e. 18 months ago)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Because he really tried during his defence didn't he?

The way he just confessed to knowing like that without mentioning the things which you insinuate that he knows...
  • Options
    Sorry MoK.

I don't believe a word of it. The media's output is entirely lies these days, especially in areas like this.

In case you didn't know, courts these days are merely there to make whatever political decision which has already been made look good.
  • Options
    Cromwell? Really Clandestine? Really?

That man who took advantage of been in the right place at right time (Just like Stalin) and seized power for himself, making himself King in all but name, with no other power to over rule his dictatorship, so that his son was given his position after his death and crowned in a coronation only to have to be swept aside by the masses who demanded the return of a true king? Really?

Bah, only if I am the new Cromwell land it is i who takes over to rule as God amongst men will i ever accept such talk of Cromwellian ideas!
  • Options
    Klintock, if the court was closed to the public then I would agree with you.

I don't dispute that there is a dark underbelly to this world and exposing it is a good thing. I do however feel that the current approach of seeing mosters under your bed actually does more harm than good. There is far more evidence which can be substantiated than supposition about what this man "might" know.
  • Options
    Subject, I called for his ghost, not the man lol. It was more by way of finding some symbol to kick some action into the present complacent public which stands idly by while clear and brazen criminals dismantle every democratic principle our forebears bled and died to provide us.

Don't like him, okay we can go for Ghandi or MLK if you prefer ;)
  • Options
    Klintock, if the court was closed to the public then I would agree with you.

It doesn't matter if the room was full to the rafters with the public, MoK, most people are so inured by the current culture that it would make no difference whatsoever. For most people as long as everything that's done is "legal" then you could behead the bastard on the white house lawn.
    I don't dispute that there is a dark underbelly to this world and exposing it is a good thing.

There isn't a "dark underbelly" the whole thing is based upon corruption, lies, fraud and murder. It has to be, that's all a government is and does. There is a thin veneer of respectability and that's about it.
    I do however feel that the current approach of seeing mosters under your bed actually does more harm than good. There is far more evidence which can be substantiated than supposition about what this man "might" know.

All you can do is open your eyes and use them. The US government was responsible for 9/11 of that there is no doubt whatsoever. That being the rather obvious case, actions like this can only be seen as tidying up.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It doesn't matter if the room was full to the rafters with the public, MoK, most people are so inured by the current culture that it would make no difference whatsoever.

Yes it would. Regardless of whether they agreed with him, he would have had an audience. That he didn't sing like a canary suggests that actually there is nothing that he wanted to say.

The death penalty will make him a martyr. What better send off than to embarrass the very people who will kill you?
    There is a thin veneer of respectability and that's about it.

For you, me and the majority of the world population it's a very thick veneer. Humanity and individual interractions are not the same as the corruption of the minority.

I am surprised every day at the lengths which people will go to just to help their fellow man.
    The US government was responsible for 9/11 of that there is no doubt whatsoever. That being the rather obvious case, actions like this can only be seen as tidying up.

This is where we divert. Unless you are suggesting that it was the foreign policy which was the sum totoal of responsibility.

If you are suggesting that the Govt themselves carried it out then I cannot agree less. You only have to look at the teachings of some of the Islamic Fundamentalists (which people like OBL have followed) to see that there will always be a violent clash with the Christian Fundamentalists.

It's actually in both their interests to carry this violent cycle on. The MIC from a capitalists pov and the fundamentalists from a religious/control pov. That doesn't means that they are directly colluding, more that they use the opposing view to line their pockets/take control of our lives.
  • Options
    Yes it would. Regardless of whether they agreed with him, he would have had an audience. That he didn't sing like a canary suggests that actually there is nothing that he wanted to say.

I don't agree, but fair enough.
    The death penalty will make him a martyr. What better send off than to embarrass the very people who will kill you?

If that's the rationale it's also a disaster for the "US" population because they are the ones choosing what happens to him. I'd love to see the "innocent civilian" tag kept up ater this.
    For you, me and the majority of the world population it's a very thick veneer. Humanity and individual interractions are not the same as the corruption of the minority.

The only thing that stops it is the fictions that that minority have created and used on the rest. I hope by the "minority" you mean every single member of the government, because all of them are in favour of using violence to achieve their aims.
    I am surprised every day at the lengths which people will go to just to help their fellow man.

I'm not. It's how people are designed.
    This is where we divert.

They did it directly, they did it indirectly, they are still responsible, and they still shirk that responsibility.
  • Options
    Ghandi wore a nappy for God sakes!
    Martin Luthor King all the way! He was a rocking good chap!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Joy. Stalin would be proud! Imagine him now... knowing he has won... and made the USA as bad as himself.

Wonderful. So what nation ARE we to back for freedoms? For the good old values?

It hasn't gotten that bad yet.

I will say this though. Americans used to shout things like "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Now it seems to more to the tune of "...I guess giving up some freedom is ok, as long as it helps fight 'them'"