Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Broadband Advice

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Not another "recommend me an ISP thread"... but advice, on a specific deal.

Freedom2sruf, my ISP, used to do uncapped 8meg for £25. I cant find it now, seems they have changed... to 8meg with 50GB download limit for... £24 a month.
http://www.freedom2surf.com/adsl/homeuser.php
See there^

Tell me... is this a good deal? Am I EVER likley to use 50GB a month up with gaming, alot of surfing, and mild torrent usage? I do use the net quite a bit... but seriously... 50GB? Am I EVER going to use that? What sortof usage does surfing the net put on it?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends what your are looking at, but 50GB just for surfing should be alright... For download tho it can be quite small... Got a 20GB usage here and if I start downloading I pass it after 3 to 4 days only... Fucking BT... Stuck with them for a year... Otherwise I always take unlimitted... I hate when they limit your usage...
  • Options
    50GB is about 100 torrents and should leave you loads for gaming and surfing.

Just make sure you estimate your torrent usage accuratly, stick to it and you'll be fine

The price seems better compared to BT's caps.

If you can get cable in your area you can get 4Meg for 25, totally uncapped. I have their 10meg :)
  • Options
    that's definitely very new! i'm on an uncapped 2mb contract with them and looked at their site 2 days ago to see if my exchange was sorted for 8mb yet.

if they switch me to a 50gb contract i'll be a bit miffed - i might not use 50gb on a monthly basis but i just don't like the idea of capped usage and being penalised if i do go over that one month.
  • Options
    Hmm, i'm on NTL 2MB which gives me 1GB a day but can still go over and nothing happens, only if you totally rape your connection they would charge you more for the month perhaps.

50Gb could easily be done if you constantly surf and download alot. Only you can determine whether you would go over that amount.
  • Options
    Should be OK... my usage seems to be piss all compared to the limit, except for Spetember last year (Cant think what I downloaded, oh well.)
  • Options
    Well i have BT and they give me a 30gb limit, which is alright for the 1meg connection i have ( :( ) but pipex seem pretty golden to me atm due to the no downlaod limit and the fact they are boasting about quadroupling my connection
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Should be OK... my usage seems to be piss all compared to the limit, except for Spetember last year (Cant think what I downloaded, oh well.)
    If thats a tel number on that you might wanna edit it out
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    If thats a tel number on that you might wanna edit it out
    THankyou! :O
  • Options
    dammit there goes my telemarketing dreams
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    dammit there goes my telemarketing dreams
    :lol: I love tweety x1000 now.
  • Options
    50GB is plenty, I'm a warez whore and I barely eat into my 500GB cap =/
  • Options
    50 GB is under 14 hours usage at 8Mbit/s
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: I love tweety x1000 now.

:heart:
  • Options
    Ha ha.

I'm on Be* 24 meg for 24.99 a month.

:p:p:p:p:p:p
  • Options
    Sidtec wrote:
    Ha ha.

I'm on Be* 24 meg for 24.99 a month.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Link me to it then you cock! You American though or something? :p
  • Options
    Sorry, I missed the link. It's www.bethere.co.uk They haven't got great coverage yet.
  • Options
    For just pissing about, checking emails, no downloads or gaming is 1gb going to be enough for a month for me?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    For just pissing about, checking emails, no downloads or gaming is 1gb going to be enough for a month for me?

I'd see if you can find a deal for about 4GB if you definitely only need it for the above.

Reason being that some trailers, other videos, etc. are quite large themselves.
  • Options
    But I have no intention of watching video or any of that stuff, just surfing really, maybe downloading a few research papers.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But I have no intention of watching video or any of that stuff, just surfing really, maybe downloading a few research papers.

If you've no intention of watching videos, listening to online radio/music and any other bandwidth intensive applications then 1GB is enough.

I only mentioned video because if you're an avid surfer a lot of websites have video/sound content.
  • Options
    I may listen again to a few things from Radio 4, and I use it for research but I dont do most of the things I know use a lot of space.

Thanks.
  • Options
    8meg Comes to me on the 11th. Woooo!

Yeah, Bong, 1GB would be enough. Easily.