Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My sisters right to privacy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've been suspecting my sister has gotten onto some trouble. The police have been around to interview her more than once, and lots of other weird things going on.

So whether this was wrong or not, I went into her room and went through her paperwork. I found some pretty serious stuff.

I'm not really sure what to do next. I'm considering telling my family, but obviously that might damage mine and my sister relationship. But the fact is, we've never gotton on with each other, and since we are both pretty much adults now, this might be one of those life changing arguments.

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    talk to her before telling your family tbh.
    How would you feel if the situation was reversed?
  • Options
    talk to her before telling your family tbh.
    How would you feel if the situation was reversed?

Agreed, you can't just blag to the family. You gotta try and talk to her first.....
  • Options
    From what I understand, its related to a shooting. And she's not told anyone about it. making up reasons for why the police wanted to speak to her.

If the situation was reversed I would find it really difficult to talk to my family. Atleast if someone thought I was acting odd and that, then went through my stuff and found out about my problem, it would probably be a great relief.
  • Options
    Don't tell her you have been in her room and don't tell anyone else what you know. Speak to her, tell her you fear she is in trouble and that you are there to help. This could be a way of making your friendship better. If she won't open up, you can't make her.
    You would just be causing trouble by blabbing. Just let her know youare there for her if she needs it and that she doesn't have to be alone.
    And don't go in her room again.
  • Options
    From what I understand, its related to a shooting. And she's not told anyone about it. making up reasons for why the police wanted to speak to her

Hmm.. I think you should talk to her and tell her you're worried, it sounds pretty serious she might be grateful to have someone to talk to about it. At least find out the details before telling your parents.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I'm going to disagree, I think you were right to snoop on it, and I think you should discreetly have a word with your sister.

Tell her you know what she's been up to, and if she doesn't come clean about it then you will.
  • Options
    tell your parents. definately. if you tell them things will hopefully get sorted out quicker than if you didnt. - she might be mad with you at first for telling but soon she will realise it was for the best!!

i found out that my sister has been making herself sick in an attempt to lose weight on saturday (she ate a bagel then went straight to toilet - i had a suspicion and followed her and listened to her throw it up - then again with dinner)
    told my dad pretty pronto who then proceeded to have a "chat" with her. she is now not speaking to me. but i know she will get over it soon and everything will be ok again. im glad i told :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm going to disagree, I think you were right to snoop on it, and I think you should discreetly have a word with your sister.

Tell her you know what she's been up to, and if she doesn't come clean about it then you will.

I agree - let's face it, if she's hiding it from everyone by making up other reasons as to why the police are interviewing her etc, then she's hardly going to 'fess up. Plus, depending on how serious a SHOOTING is (it's not something like your sister stealing sweets or cheating on her boyfriend), I think that your parents have a right to know - what if there actually was a shooting and somebody's been seriously injured here? I think any right to privacy there goes out of the window.

Saying that, she may be innocent - and it's difficult for you to presume otherwise if you haven't spoken to her and have only seen some paperwork, which may be purely allegatory - telling your parents before getting the full facts from her may cause more problems, if she's wrongly accused.