Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Magic Mushrooms - the law?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically myself and a mate have decided to do mexican mushrooms and I do believe they are able to be bought from places like Camden market ?

Is this still legal or have labour banned the free sale of fresh mushrooms?

Im pretty sure the camden mushroom company used to have a website, its been a long time since I've touched mushrooms.

Comments

• Options
    NaRaYaN wrote:
    Basically myself and a mate have decided to do mexican mushrooms and I do believe they are able to be bought from places like Camden market ?

Is this still legal or have labour banned the free sale of fresh mushrooms?

Im pretty sure the camden mushroom company used to have a website, its been a long time since I've touched mushrooms.

Nah it's illegal now, but yu still find places where they sell them tho...

Don't know if new law include kit to grow your own...
  • Options
    Really dont fancy growing them. My room collects mould as it is.

Its just weed has no effect on me unless eaten and I wanted to try something else.

Goddamn.
  • Options
    Nah it's illegal now, but yu still find places where they sell them tho...

Don't know if new law include kit to grow your own...

The kits are illigal too...

You can buy edible mushroom grow bags...

You can also buy Magic Mushroom spore syringes for Microscopic Research purposes...

If you were to inject the bag with a Psilocybin containing strain, it would then become illigal.
  • Options
    It always perplexed me how up until recently magic mushrooms had remained legal whereas cannabis, a much less potent drug, was illegal. There's the drug laws for ya.
  • Options
    They were legal because of a loop hole in the law...

Nothing was really done about it because they use wasnt that mainstream, not compared to something like cannabis.

But not long before they were made illigal there use started to pick up alot, and the government took notice of it.

The fact that they were lumped straight in as a class A was a bit OTT...

But there is talk of them being down graded at the moment.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    They were legal because of a loop hole in the law...

But there is talk of them being down graded at the moment.

Basically they weren't made illegal because they grow naturally, and anyone who had them growing on their property would techincally be guilty of producing a class A drug.

But, once they got popular the government decided that this stupid situation wasnt a good enough reason for them to be legal. So now, anyone who has them growing on their land is guilty of producing a class A drug but the police have said they're not going to bother with that.

There's not any talk I've heard, the ACMD certainly arent looking at it, though as part of their review of the drug classifications they may move mushies down.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So now, anyone who has them growing on their land is guilty of producing a class A drug but the police have said they're not going to bother with that.

I dont think so, I read statements thats if they naturally grow on your property and they are untouched by yourself, then there is nothing wrong with that.

This of course does bring up issues where people can claim there not doing anything wrong when they are!

I dont think the law has really been enforced full stop tbh...

I have seen nothing major in the news about mushroom busts!
  • Options
    There's no way they could enforce that anyway - most people that have them growing on their own land don't know it themselves, let alone the law!

They're EVERYWHERE around where I live, literally. The Po'lice are always preoccupied with their own passe-temps anyway. I'm gonna get a stack of em this year :yes:
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I dont think so, I read statements thats if they naturally grow on your property and they are untouched by yourself, then there is nothing wrong with that.

To my knowledge there is nothing in the law which says this, only in the policing guidelines, so its still technically an offence, the police have just been told not to do anything about it.
  • Options
    I found this on the home office website...
    Won’t this criminalise those where magic mushrooms are growing naturally in their garden?

In the Home Office’s view, a person would not be committing an offence solely by reason of a naturally occurring substance (the mushroom) growing in their garden.

We are bringing in regulations at the same time as section 21 is commenced to make it clear under what circumstances it will not be unlawful to possess magic mushrooms and this will include having mushrooms growing untended in a garden.

So I suppose you right... looks like more of a guildline than anything too official.
    There was also this which is interesting...
    Won’t this criminalise those who pick magic mushrooms in the wild without knowing that they are magic mushrooms?

No. It is not an offence under the Misuse of Drugs Act by virtue of section 28 if a person can prove his lack of knowledge.

So really that puts anyone in the clear who is smart enough to lie there was out of it!

tbh, all that making them illigal has done is stop most of the trade in shops... apart from that there are still many people using them... and the police dont really care from what I can see.
  • Options
    The whole thing is a joke anyway, as always with the drug situation its using an atomic bomb to crack a nut.

No one in their right mind would suggest that mushrooms are as dangerous as heroin, they were only put there because LSD is already there.

Interesting to note that the 'I didnt know' excuse is still valid, though probably wouldnt work if you were growing Thai mushies in your cupboard.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    The whole thing is a joke anyway, as always with the drug situation its using an atomic bomb to crack a nut.

No one in their right mind would suggest that mushrooms are as dangerous as heroin, they were only put there because LSD is already there.

Interesting to note that the 'I didnt know' excuse is still valid, though probably wouldnt work if you were growing Thai mushies in your cupboard.

Yeah, I agree, the whole thing is a joke. I wonder if the EDF got any futher?
    Although I doubt there is much they can do about it...

Yeah, I think the "I didnt know" excuse would only be vaild out side the home really, sprinkling dried powered Yagoons into your milk shake is a tad suspect!
  • Options
    Yes, I agree it is very stupid not to crack down on shrooms when there are countless marijuana busts happening every second. Where I live you can walk into a store and buy a kit or spores as if you were buying groceries! I recenetly checked into the laws specifically for my state and they are considered legal until picked. Then again, my state is notorious for widespread cocaine and meth deals, so the small shroom community is the least of their worries. Besides, our state is one of the few whose economy didn't bounce back from the recession, so state funding is at an all time low. If we can't afford transportation for public schools, we shouldn't be spending on narc cops to look into busting shroom growers (and thankfully, we don't...hopefully this won't change any time soon)...
  • Options
    Dont bank on that, coppers sometimes like to go for the easy bust, it makes their records look good.

And of course a large chunk of law enforcement is federal not local so however poor your local team is there are still people around who have money.

Criminal justice is big busines in the US dont forget.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I've been a bit remiss in not posting up the information we have on TheSite.org on Magic Mushroom and the Law. So there you go.
  • Options
    "So am I breaking the law by buying them?

* In a case in 1990 it was enough for the mushrooms to have been picked, packaged and frozen for a conviction."

case in point: they gotta be picked and prepared to be prosecuted. So basically you'd have to be caught with them on you on during a deal. I don't know how it goes with the rest of you, but everyone I know take shrooms the same day they buy them. Demand is high, so dealers could easily sell their stock in a few days, so the time frame for any kind of risk is very small. And a good dealer would get their orders ready a week or two before harvest and drying, and if organized well enough, could easily rid themselves of their entire harvest in an afternoon...