Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smear tests etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have to go for some tests early next week as I have had a few girly problems (including a period which lasted over 3 and a half weeks :mad: ). I think that I am having a smear test and STI screening. I have done a search and looked at a lot of threads on here about smear tests and what happens etc but is STI screening the same as a smear tests and what is it on about on the sexual health section about a doctor putting a gloved hand up there to feel the ovaries etc? Will a hand fit up there?!?! Also, do I have to shave down there before I go? I shave fairly regularly but do i need to be all smooth for the tests? I guess not as it doesn't cover what they are looking at but I just want to make sure.

Please help. Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    1. A smear test is not an STI test.
    2. A smear test looks at cells on your cervix for pre-cancerous changes
    3. STI, sexually transmitted infection, tests look for infection by taking swabs - high vaginal (HVS) and cervical.
    4. The internal examination involves only two fingers in the vagina and a hand on your tummy. It shouldn't be too uncomfortable.
    5. Pubic hair, or lack thereof, will not affect any of the tests or examintions.
  • Options
    Many thanks for that, that's a great help. The doctor said that I have to have both so I assume I'll have it all done at the same time?
  • Options
    there's no reason why it doesn't get done at the same time, just a few fingers and swabs and you'll be done. nothing to worry about and think happy thoughts when he/she does it.
  • Options
    there's no reason why it doesn't get done at the same time, just a few fingers and swabs and you'll be done. nothing to worry about and think happy thoughts when he/she does it.

Thank you for the confidence. I have been a little worried about it but most of the related threads have said that it is a little unconfortable but nothing to worry about. Thanks :)
  • Options
  • Options
    spanner wrote:

Thanks very much, I did find and read that yesterday but it was really useful. I keep thinking about this though and I can't see how I could have got an STI if neither me or my boyfriend have had sexual partners before. Is there any possibilty that it could be an STI?
  • Options
    Is there any possibilty that it could be an STI?
    It's unlikely isn't it, but your GP would be foolish not to check for them.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's unlikely isn't it, but your GP would be foolish not to check for them.

Yeah, suppose there is no harm in testing to give me piece of mind
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice, I had STI screening today and it wasn't as bad as expected. It wasn't pleasant but I can think of worse things to do/have done to me. The only thing was that I had a student nurse as well, which I did say I didn't mind, so I had two of them looking at my down below region and pointing etc which was a little off putting. Still better to suffer that little bit of embarrassment and discomfort for a few minutes than have the worry.