Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Glandular Fever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I may have it, my mate had it a while ago and she thinks I have it.
I was sick wednesday then I had this horrible sore throat, feel really achey and just cant be botherd to do anything. I'm feeling really gulty cos I've rang in sick at work, and I dont feel that bad, just my throat is really hurting me, I cant even swallow without it hurting and I'm so achey.

My mate said go to Docs, but there shut till monday so she said go to an emergency docs, but it might just be a normal sore throat!

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Briony wrote:
    I think I may have it, my mate had it a while ago and she thinks I have it.
    I was sick wednesday then I had this horrible sore throat, feel really achey and just cant be botherd to do anything. I'm feeling really gulty cos I've rang in sick at work, and I dont feel that bad, just my throat is really hurting me, I cant even swallow without it hurting and I'm so achey.

My mate said go to Docs, but there shut till monday so she said go to an emergency docs, but it might just be a normal sore throat!

I would just go on Monday tbh and don't think it would warrant emergency docs.

If you are still unsure though, give NHS Direct a call.
  • Options
    You haven't had it long enough for it to be glandular fever. Info.

You've got a cold.
  • Options
    I've had glandular fever and you would definetly know if you had it, it's awful. I was off school for about a month
  • Options
    Yeah you would know, its not just like a sore throat.
  • Options
    I never had it but I had a virus similar to it, was worn out for ahes and had just started a new job so struggled through it and it was awful!
    Still get tired now have to watch I dont ware myself out 3/4 years later!
    Def go to Drs they will do a blood test if they think it might be, its not as bad as it sounds!
  • Options
    you can't really self-diagnose yourself with glandular fever just because you've been sick and have a sore throat. i had glandular fever and i'm not sure one of the symptoms was being sick.

personally i don't think it warrants an 'emergency'. just ring in on monday and get an appointment for then. until then, rest, take paracetomal and drink plenty.
  • Options
    Just sounds like a bad cold i had glandular fever and you can have it for months i was off college for a few weeks with it. Go to the doctors and see what they say if they think its glandular fever then they will do a test for it.
  • Options
    yea if you had glandular fever you wouldn't be over it so quickly. my friend got it and came out in a really nasty rash, had breathing difficulties and her throat was in agony. i think it was an extreme but even saying that you don't sound too bad but go the doctors just to be on the safe side.