Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Guitar question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
whats the difference between an American Strat and a Mexican Strat? How can I tell the difference? I dont have the papers from when I bought it, it was just a simple very basic strat. I could have sworn it was an American, however I went to sell it once, just some shop and they said it was a Mexican, after looking at it for about 5 seconds. Now I was thinking about ebaying it. Its been used like once and has new good quality strings on it, but now I'm not sure if its American or Mexican. All I remember is that it was a "standard" strat. I remember the word standard used in its name.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    It says made in Mexico!
    Those bastards. That pretty much tells me its a Mexican Strat unless somebody tells me otherwise.

Everybody said, oh go to Dave's Guitar, they are excelent. They've been around since 19xx. They've done business with this person and this person and this person, then named a bunch of musicians. Go to their site and they say Joe Walsh and members of pink floyd, night ranger, reospeedwagon, etc. And what do they do, they rip off a poor 13 year old girl. Well thats Wisconsin for ya.

What a bunch of weenies :(

Oh I'm pissed now. I'm going to go call my dad and whine. Except I can't, my face hurts. Yeah, its killing me hahahahaha.
  • Options
    Only a very serious guitarist would know the difference sound wise. The main difference is in the quality of components and skill of the workforce, i've not looked at guitars for a while, but a mexican strat should be in the region of £300 (about 500 USD i think) while an American strat will be about £800 at the least.

I don't like Fenders myself - prefer gibson, but american or mexican the strat is a nice guitar, and hey, it could be korean or chinese so it's not all that bad, and like i say, most intermidiate type guitarists would never tell the difference.
  • Options
    Only a very serious guitarist would know the difference sound wise. The main difference is in the quality of components and skill of the workforce, i've not looked at guitars for a while, but a mexican strat should be in the region of £300 (about 500 USD i think) while an American strat will be about £800 at the least.

I don't like Fenders myself - prefer gibson, but american or mexican the strat is a nice guitar, and hey, it could be korean or chinese so it's not all that bad, and like i say, most intermidiate type guitarists would never tell the difference.

Oh well then, they didn't rip me off, the guy at the other store tried to. Butthead. I bought it new for $450 (259 pounds, if the exchange rate calculator didn't lie to me) Then when I tried to sell it and the guy said, Mexican Strat, $150 (90 pounds) I got angry. Things damn new anyways, probably touched it a total of two times in my life and that was when I moved. And just thought about it today for some reason.

You have eased my mind. Thanks :D:heart:
  • Options

You'd be suprised, if a begginer played an american strat, and then switched over to a mexican strat, they'd notice a big sound different. The pickups on mexican made stratocasters are much cheaper. Craftwise, fenders are tough for me to deal with. I build guitars, so I know what I want when it comes to guitars. The hardware is a lot stronger and brighter on USA strats, and the woods tend to be better cuts. Necks are really a LOT better on the USA strats, much more comfortable than Mex. Finishes arn't important to me, but the USA finishes are much nicer too.
    Mexican stratocasters here sell for $300-$400USD. USA strats list $800-$1000USD.
    If you are looking into a USA strat, I suggest you try a different company, Carvin for example, makes really nice guitars, custom, for around the same price. I can't stand Gibson or Fender really, they're like the overpriced "standard" guitar.
  • Options
    Of course it matters if the guitar is a fender or a squire :)

Yeah people will notice the difference if they change from an american to a mexican, but they'll also notice the difference if they change to any sort other sort of guitar, a telecaster, or mustang or whatever.

And like you say you build guitars so you're going to know about it, the average bedroom guitarist isn't going to be too fussed. At the moment i own an epiphone, but drums are my main instrument so i'm not really bothered about how it sounds.
  • Options
    Both are shit.

What you want is a Gibson Les Paul Custom :cool:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Both are shit.

What you want is a Gibson Les Paul Custom :cool:
    Some custom American Fenders are pretty good, but nowt beats an LP.

Mexican Fenders have variable build quality, some people say they've played better Mexicans than Americans (presumably if the set up is right), and some say that Mexicans will never ever be a match for the American built.

But when it comes to basses, on the other hand...
  • Options
    All this is true but the Mexican strat, not as much as the Tele but still quite evident is more true to the way in which Fender used to make their guitars. After CBS bought them out, they moved the vast bulk of their production down to Mexico.

Thus the Mexican models, whilst having inferior hardware actually sound more like Strats used to. The difference on the Tele is amazing. I would never consider buying an American Tele as you buy one for the Tele trademark 'twang' and with a Mexican made one, that's what you get.