Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Technics SLDZ1200

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im thinking about buying myself a set of these

Just wondering....

A) Has anyone used and got opinions on them?

B) I notice they dont have a pitch bend, I wouldnt normally mind, but I have heard the platter is very sensitive, which I can imagine to be true as its CD rather than Vinyl.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah i prefer vinyl. Think Pioneers are better for CD Decks but more expensive but then again i don't really know much about CD decks.

Shop around.
  • Options
    I prefer vinyl too...

but I cant be arsed with the cost of records anymore...

I still pay for mp3s, there is a site that sells all the latest vinyl releases on mp3. But they are so much cheaper...

I only really DJ for fun now, where as I used to do alot of club work, so then having the latest vinyl was more important...

Anyway, I actually changed my mind and Im getting a pair of Denons...
    Not really much different from using Vinyl...

Click the link below, about half way down is a video of them being used...

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/denon/dns3500
  • Options
    I never wanted to leave using vinyl because I've collected so much of it over the last 5/6 years and got loads of classic tunes... but, the one thing that pushed me to the digital side of DJing was the fact that music is cheaper. I could spend 100 quid a week on vinyl, or even 50+ quid for 1 classic tune, but I can buy a shed load of singles from places like Beatport.com for much less.

A good pair of CD decks are like using decks, the manufacturers have made moving from vinyl to digital as smooth as possible. With some CD decks you can pull the CD back, push it foward and scratch with it etc. I've never tried the SLDZ1200's but I know how they work because I am a proud owner of some Pioneer CDJ-1000 MKII's, which are a tad better than the The SLDZ1200.

If you want a pair then buy them, you definitely won't be disappointed!
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    thought about using Final scratch? that way you can use your mp3s just like vinyl.

http://www.homedj.co.uk/finalscratchv2.shtml

That has been out for a while, always wonder if it was any good. Ever tried it?
  • Options
    You cannot use FS on it's own, it has to be used with existing CD players or analog turntables.

Go with the CDJ1000's, their the leader for digital jocks.
  • Options
    Yeah I really miss Vinyl... nothing like hunting down a classic for months, finally finding it... then never taking it to a club with you incase it gets damaged lol :D
    Plus with Decks needle's are well expensive, I used to use to use concord DJ's, cost £50 to replace the stylus!!
    I got a pair of them nicked as well, played in a shit hole once where you had to bring your own needles :eek: Like a twat I acidently left them there after my set, went back the next day and they were gone... management claimed they never saw them!! :mad:

Yeah Final scratch aint worth it if you can shell out for the top CD decks, really there isnt much difference between CD decks and Vinyl decks any more... just the platter on Vinyl is bigger... who cares? lol

Well Felx, money isnt an issue really when buying these CD's Decks, so...

The top 3 are...

Technics SLDZ1200 CD Player
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/technics/sldz1200
    £1175.00 inc. VAT pair

They have a full size platter apparently, but after futher reading alot of people seem to dislike them...

Second up was the Denon DN-S3500 CD / MP3 Player
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/denon/dns3500
    (There is a demo vid on that link)
    £1270.00 inc. VAT pair

These look the mutts... they have shit loads of features, and also a proper turntable spindle for pitch control...

Finally you have the daddy of CD Decks... Pioneer CDJ1000 MK3 CD/MP3 Player
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/pioneer/cdj1000mk3
    £1525.00 inc. VAT pair

Thing is... I dont think they have anything the Denons dont have, and I have read the Denons are amazing to use... only thing pioneers have is that they are industry standard... so its good to know your way round them!
    Is that really worth nearly £300 extra??

The bar I DJ at has rack mounted Denons, they are nice to use... but you cant beat a platter!

Im also going to get some new monitor speakers, and a new pair of head phones, my technics 1210 headphones are fucked!

Sorry for the long post!
  • Options
    I think the best thing you can do is compaire full tech specs of each of the listed CD players, ask on a messageboard such as Future Music/Computer Music and ask for the pros and cons of the above. Email someone like Decks.co.uk and ask for their opinion, tell them how you plan to use them, finally (if possible) go into a store that sells the CD Players and ask for a live demo of each.

http://forum.midiaddict.com/
  • Options
    Not my first pair of CD Decks... was DJing Vinyl for about 4 years, been doing CD for about the last 2...

It will be my first pair that have a platter... before that I have always used rack mounted.

Yeah, I think its a def heads up between the Denon and Pioneers... There is a place nearish me that lets you test them out, so I might see if I can pop down there at some point!

I would love to get an Allen & Heath Xone 62 Mixer as well... I played on one once and fell in love with it, they cant be beaten for sound quallity!

But at £630 im really racking up some costs, so I might leave it a while. I used to have a Pioneer DJM600 which was a great mixer.

Side tracking a bit... what sort of music do you play?
  • Options
    Sorry mate, I didn't think my last post was that helpfull so I edited!

I am a total Progressive House/Trance nut, but also love to play Amospheric DnB.

I don't really play much any more, all of my gear is gathering dust, although I do plan to brush it off soon and start having some fun again. I kind of lost interest in mixing and production, but I wouldn't mind starting up producing again, I quite miss mixing my own stuff! Now that the summer is coming I wanna try and get some house parties going, their always great to play at.

What tune do you spin?
  • Options
    Nice one, cheers for the info mate...

Yeah I do enjoy a bit of Progressive House/Trance, although I have never mixed it much.
    I started out in UK Garage, but old skool stuff... not all the grimy shite you hear now days...
    Loved it while it was at its best, got some good gigs out of it, and had a couple of radio shows.
    As it started getting crap and died out I moved onto funky and commercial house... did it for a while but got a bit bored of it and almost gave up DJing... I decided to buy some cheap CD decks a couple of years ago to muck about on. Through a friend I got offered some work doing R&B and hip hop (I had played about with it in the past) So I updated myself and started doing alot of that sort of stuff...

In the last year or so I have moved very much into DnB. Although I dont really play out with it... I still do alot of R&B hip hop when playing out... and some commercial house...

Im really getting into more Intelligent and soulful D&B at the moment. Stuff like High Contrast, Marky, Random Movement, some of Fresh's stuff....

Although I do like to rip it up with the bassline stuff every now and then! :thumb:
  • Options
    I've got some amazing Atmos DnB if you want some, their freebie ones from the net but their well cool.

I also started out with UK Garage. I miss the old stuff, I thought it was excellent. I remember thinking that after Pure Garage 1, UKG started to get a bit crap.

I remember this album I brought on 12" called "Blackmarket Presents 2 Step - The Best Of Underground Garage", I used to love it, had some great tunes on there.

Some of my all time faves back then had to be Doolally - Straight from the heart, N'n'G ft Kallaghan - Right Before My Eyes, Capital T - Ravin' Cru, Zed Bias - Neighbourhood, and Ed Case - Something In Your Eyes. Oh, and not forgetting the cheesy Sweet FA - Flowers!

Had some really memorable times back then

By the way, I did have this tune on white label but I cannot remember what it was called. It had the vocals "Live by the sword, die by it"?
  • Options
    I've got some amazing Atmos DnB if you want some, their freebie ones from the net but their well cool.

Yeah that would be wicked, cheers mate!
    I remember this album I brought on 12" called "Blackmarket Presents 2 Step - The Best Of Underground Garage", I used to love it, had some great tunes on there.

I have that album, he did a couple so I might have a slightly different one. It had Buddy X, Kelle Le Roc - My Love, Grass aint greener etc on it. That was a really good record pack.
    Some of my all time faves back then had to be Doolally - Straight from the heart, N'n'G ft Kallaghan - Right Before My Eyes, Capital T - Ravin' Cru, Zed Bias - Neighbourhood, and Ed Case - Something In Your Eyes. Oh, and not forgetting the cheesy Sweet FA - Flowers!

Yeah, I love all that stuff.. and some of the even older stuff from people like Tuff Jam, T Case, Double 99 etc...
    By the way, I did have this tune on white label but I cannot remember what it was called. It had the vocals "Live by the sword, die by it"?

I dont think I know it to be honest, I will ask my sisters bf next time I see him, he is well up on old skool garage tunes...