Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Texas" arresting people in bars for being drunk!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2006-03-22T230530Z_01_N22388344_RTRIDST_0_OUKOE-UK-BARS.XML

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

:lol::lol:

Comments

• Options
    people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.
    :lol: I think that's called natural selection.
  • Options
    In related news, police in Texas sent in to gym locker rooms to arrest people for being naked.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    In related news, police in Texas sent in to gym locker rooms to arrest people for being naked.
    :lol: that was good :thumb:
  • Options
    It's actually against the law here to serve someone alcohol when they're drunk.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol: :thumb:

Erm. It is illegal to cross a border in Texas with some other state... with a duck on your head. It is also illegal in Goergia to eat fried chicken with a fork.

I heard police in Texas started arresting black people for being black.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I heard police in Texas started arresting black people for being black.

Link? I was in the capital of Texas – Austin a few months ago seeing friends and was reading something in their papers about the head of the Austin police department or something – who is African American. While some of the Southern states in the USA are quite fairly seen as a bit backwards I don’t think Texas deserves its reputation. I’m sure most people who’ve visited will agree that it’s a pretty cool state...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Link? I was in the capital of Texas – Austin a few months ago seeing friends and was reading something in their papers about the head of the Austin police department or something – who is African American. While some of the Southern states in the USA are quite fairly seen as a bit backwards I don’t think Texas deserves its reputation. I’m sure most people who’ve visited will agree that it’s a pretty cool state...

It is, I know people there.

I was joking ffs ;/ Apparently it's worst in Tennessee for that sortof thing. I know somewhere there toom she's says its terrible in her small town.
  • Options
    I guessed, although the way some people typify America it’s not always obvious and it’s not particularly funny either...Although tbh these days there's probably a lot more racism in the likes of Spain and some Eastern European countries than America.
  • Options
    let me get this right ...
    more and more people hink that i should be arrested cos i want to get drunk ...have a fag in the corner ...smoke a spliff at home ...talk about religion ...talk about terrorism ...talk ...think ...do ...

all arrestable?
  • Options
    sounds about right.......you need to be more normal rolly, otherwise you might end up offending someone, that's an arrestable offence as well didn't you know......
  • Options
    .......you need to be more normal rolly, ......

all my families ...all my life ....have been wary of normal.
  • Options
    This is just ridiculous. Trust it to come out of zany Texas.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's actually against the law here to serve someone alcohol when they're drunk.

Call me stupid, but doesn't it make sense to penalise the source rather than the receiver? Wouldn't the thought of serving someone who is clearly drunk resulting in your arrest maybe, just possibly make you think twice before pulling another pint - tackling the problem at the source?!

Maybe it's just me. :o
  • Options
    Wasn't that what I said?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Wasn't that what I said?

Yeah. What I was saying was if the Texans had given this a bit more thought they would get better results by penalising the bar staff, not the customers - like in this country.
  • Options
    And why should someone earning £5 an hour judge when someone's had too much to drink? D'you know how hard that can be? Surely it's up to the individual to decide whether they've had too much to drink, or the landlord to decide when they want to stop serving someone, not a third party. As far as I'm aware, it's not illegal to be drunk in public in the UK. If it was, I'm sure Freddie Flintoff would be behind bars by now. So just leave people to drink what they want.
  • Options
    This isnt quite as crazy as the law which states that you can be arrested if someone in the bar or club you are in is using drugs.
  • Options
    That's probably more to stop places become somewhere where it's safe to go and do drugs. I reckon you'd be let off with a warning if it was a single incident, but you'd be arrested after it was obvious that your club was doing nothing to stop it. At least the law is consistant there though. Drugs are illegal. It's stupid saying you can serve any adult alcohol, but then we can fine you if you serve them too much. I mean what's too much? Who defines that? And some 18 year old on £5 an hour has to judge that do they?

Edit: okay just read that again. Are you saying that if you're a customer in a bar where someone is using drugs you can be arrested?
  • Options
    Edit: okay just read that again. Are you saying that if you're a customer in a bar where someone is using drugs you can be arrested?

Yep, its the crackhouse statutes used for ordinary bars and clubs, you're sitting in the corner drinking and one person is smoking a joint in the toilet, every single person in the bar is breaking the law because they should know there are drugs being used and leave.
  • Options

Funny 'cause it's true. :thumb: