Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chlamydia testing at Boots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone had the free Chlamydia test from boots? If so can u tell me what happens, what do u ask for etc? ta

Comments

• Options
    ooohh, didnt know they did that!! i wana know too!
  • Options
    As it is at Boots, my best guess would be that they would take a urine sample off you. I think that type of testing though is only 80% accurate though whereas if you go the doctors it is 100% accurate.

If you are really worried about having Chlamydia then I'd go the doctors. I got tested for this last month at the doctors and it was fine. I had to wait 10 days for the results though. I was so relieved when I got the results. I'd rather have testing done that is 100% accurate rather than 80% as 80% to me, isn't accurate enough.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies, stacey when you went to the doctors did u just say you thought you could have chlamydia and they tested you?
  • Options
    I booked in for a 15 minute appointment knowing full well that I was going to ask for a STI check. I asked for it there and then. It was a 15 minute appointment so I could. I wasn't just being tested for Chlamydia. I was having a full STI check. You need to find out if your GP does STI testing though.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    If you are really worried about having Chlamydia then I'd go the doctors. I got tested for this last month at the doctors and it was fine. I had to wait 10 days for the results though. I was so relieved when I got the results. I'd rather have testing done that is 100% accurate rather than 80% as 80% to me, isn't accurate enough.

Yeah i had this done, the 10days killed me like but it is worth it just to know that your clear
  • Options
    Yeah. I was shitting myself for 10 days. They use a texting system at my surgery so if you don't get a text, you have got nothing. I didn't get a text within those 10 days. I went to the doctors after this time period though to make sure I was in the all clear and I was, thank god.
  • Options
    Ive only had STI tests at the GUM, never considered asking my gp, got me thinking now if they can do it as its a right pain to get in at the GUM, me and mates generally plan to go around the same time, its less daunting that way.

ETA: the boots testing thing is currently only in the London area as far as i know.
  • Options
    i was told to expect a 3 week wait for the results of my sti check at the sti clinic. guess it's maybe 'cause they're busier than the doctors.

i never got a txt..i think it'd be a good idea to send one either way 'cause i kinda thought what if they forgot me. :p
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    Ive only had STI tests at the GUM, never considered asking my gp, got me thinking now if they can do it as its a right pain to get in at the GUM, me and mates generally plan to go around the same time, its less daunting that way.

ETA: the boots testing thing is currently only in the London area as far as i know.

I went to my Docs first, but she explained they can't provide all STI tests and best just going to the GUM clinic to get the full check.

But not all GPs are like that though.
  • Options
    The first time i ask my doc for a STI test i was there for a followup appointment about my trouble sleeping. They told me its best to get it done at the GUM clinic as if the Doc does it, it goes on your medical records and can affect your standing when applying for Life insurance. So i went the the GUM instead.
  • Options
    if the Doc does it, it goes on your medical records and can affect your standing when applying for Life insurance.

Is this true?? I was never told this last year when i was offered a test for Chlamydia when i had my smear done! Surely medical records are confidential anyway?
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    The first time i ask my doc for a STI test i was there for a followup appointment about my trouble sleeping. They told me its best to get it done at the GUM clinic as if the Doc does it, it goes on your medical records and can affect your standing when applying for Life insurance. So i went the the GUM instead.

What about if you only get tested for it and you come back with the all clear? I've been tested before but came back in the all clear.

Surely that can't affect me in the future when applying for life insurance?

Sheesh, there is allsorts on my medical records from the last two years :shocking:
  • Options
    I think only Aids testing can affect life insurance. They can ask you 'Have you ever been tested for HIV/AIDS' but they wont ask you the outcome, and yes that will effect the policy you are offered

btw they wont ask the outcome as its illegal or somesuch, discrimination I dont know!
  • Options
    I was surpised by this myself. I can understand the HIV test if it came back +. but the others i find it strange. Yes medicial records are confidential but on some insurance forms i've seen it ask if its ok to get them from your DOc.

I wouldn't be surpised if the Doc to said this also to get me out quick. As my appointment was for 4pm (writen on a card) but on their system said 10am. and they told me to make another appointment, told them NO as it had taken me 3.5wks of phoning every day to get that one.
  • Options
    From what i understand insurance companys do want to know about certain sti tests even if they came back clear as they would guess you have been exposed and thats why you are testing.
    They offer a hepititis b test when you are pregnant which is the only time i know of that it doesn't affect your insurance.