Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tampons

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok this is going to sound strange, but I've decided to try using tampons again, I tried a couple of times when I was a teenager with no luck. Now I'm having regular sex, I thought it might be worth giving it another try, as I felt I might have been a bit tight and/or worried about having something in there.

Well this morning I thought I would give it another go as it looks like my period may coinside with my holiday in a couple of months time and I really don't want to be sitting on the beach in my shorts or feel like I'm stopping my boyfriend from going to the beach.

Well I seemed to be able to insert the tampon, but the inner tube just did not want to slide up when insiade me I checked when I took it out to see if it was the tube itself, but it worked fine. So I'm confussed as to why it did not work. I follow the directions on the leftlet.

Any iedas and tips?

Also as a matter of intrest do you find it easier with applicator or non applicator tampons and are brand names such as Tampax better then say Boots own.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You need to make sure you are relaxed. When pushing the inner tube, it should be an easy process but if you weren't relaxed enough then it would be harder. My advice to you is to keep practising.

I always used tampax applicator tampons. I never liked the non-applicator ones much, but I think it is a personal preference.
  • Options
    I personally get on better with non applicator tampons. I find it much easier to place it in the place I want it to be when I use them. Make sure you are pushing the tampon in far enough as they have to go quite far inside to sit properly (you should not be able to feel them inside you when they are placed properly). This probably sound pretty mank but I usually judge if I have placed it far enough inside when I have a full finger inside (sorry for the detail!). There would usually be about 2 inches of string showing aswell. Not sure if that will help at all but it helped me a bit when I first started using them!
  • Options
    I wondered if I was not relaxed enough, maybe I should try some non applicator ones too, I mean its only blood, but I'm a bit funny about puting my finger up there at this time of the month.

Will have another go later. Aother quest what postion do you use when incerting? Squatting, on leg on the seat? Any others?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I sit on the toilet with my legs open and insert it that way. However, that is something else you are going to have to experiment with.
  • Options
    i also find non-applicator better. don't worry about getting blood on your hands. remember to aim towards the back and if you push gently while wiggling it slightly it should find its own way there. in answer to your question i personally prefer lil-lets over tampax because the ends are more pointed rather than blunt so easier to insert, although that only really matters if you use one of the mega-super-pint holding ones - for the regular size it doesnt really make a difference
  • Options
    i use non-aplicator ones as i find them easier to use

im sure you can get lil-lets with some kind of lube on them so that there easier to insert, maybe that would be easier for you?
  • Options
    I buy the tampax ones with aplicators but just chuck the aplicators away, they are just a load of faff really, it's easier to judge what your doing just to put them in your self.
  • Options
    i prefer the applicator ones. you're probably not relaxed enough about it 'cause you're thinking 'this isn't going to work/this will hurt'.
  • Options
    I tend to use both, not really fussed which. For position I also tend to sit on the loo with my legs open but each person is different so you just have to experiment and find what suits you.
  • Options
    I've never used a non applicator. I like the plastic applicator ones. They are real smooth and easy to use, as opposed to the cardboard ones. As others have said, just be very very relaxed. Try not to even think about what you are doing. Try different positions. Sitting, standing with one leg up, I remember my mother suggesting just lay down, as thats very relaxing. Aim up and back, towards your spine. It took me almost 2 years to finally be able to use a tampon. I'd try and freak out and it wouldn't work. Just keep trying different things. Sometimes the inside one just gets stuck. I've had them where its pinched a bit so it just wont go so just try another tampon, or your in a bad position so it doesn't want to move. Trial and error. Good luck.
  • Options
    Yep, just trial and error, make sure it's at the right angle, towards your lower back ish. It is probably just that you're tensing, just think to yourself that this is no trouble, it's not going to hurt and it will go in easily, should relax you a bit and make it easier. Sometimes the inner tube might be hard to push in if you don't have a good grip on the outer, like if you get blood between it and your fingers and it's slippery, sorry that's a bit graphic but it's what i find sometimes.
  • Options
    I use applicator ones and I find them easy enough. You just need to find the right angle to insert them!
  • Options
    i struggled for awhile with the applicator ones before switching to the non-applicator ones which i found alot easier to get in the rite place. my mooncup is much easier though.
  • Options
    It's definitely a personal thing - why not buy some of each type to see if you find non-applicator ones easier?

You might find the descriptions and diagrams here helpful:

using tampons

Kind of an aside, but it's worth considering organic tampons - not only are they better for you (no nasty chemicals etc) they are also better for the environment - unfortunately, they're also quite hard to find!