Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GPs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do I always get the crap ones?

Gah. I tell the lady doctor that I am having trouble sleeping and am depressed as my dad died blah blah and she suggests going for a jog :confused: wtf.

Oh and apparently I shouldn't be as affected by the death of my father because my parents were divorced and we didn't live with him anyway.

SO STUPIDD.

Comments

• Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Oh and apparently I shouldn't be as affected by the death of my father because my parents were divorced and we didn't live with him anyway.

SO STUPIDD.

Your GP didn't really say this, did they? :rolleyes:

Are you not able to choose who you go and visit? :confused:
  • Options
    Unfortunately she did.

What do you mean? Choose G.P?
  • Options
    What a strange thing for a GP to say. The second bit, anyway.

The first bit makes perfect sense. Exercise helps you sleep by tiring you out physically, and increases mood by causing the production of serotonin and endorphins. Better to try and help yourself through grief, rather than reaching straight for the happy pills.

TheSite's article Dealing With Death.
  • Options
    Well mine is male, but if I wanted to talk about a female type problem I can ask to see one of the female ones, plus when my doctor was busy and I really need to see someone else I was oftered another doctor, it was another male, but since I had already told my male doctor about my lack of periods due to stress etc I thought what the hell, to be honest he was much more helpful even though he seemed at least 55.
  • Options
    When you make an appointment you can say "I'd rather not have Dr. so-and-so, is there anyone else available?" I've said that before and the receptionist has been fine, although at my practice theres quite a few doctors
  • Options
    Thankyou. I start a course next week that's called 'Breakthrough'. Despite the corny name I'm trying to remain optimistic!

I know it is strange. I couldn't believe it when she said it. Obviously has no clue whatsoever.

As for the exercise, I'm looking into joining a gym. I'm one of those people who feel and probably look like a bit of a prat running around.
  • Options
    H-face wrote:
    When you make an appointment you can say "I'd rather not have Dr. so-and-so, is there anyone else available?" I've said that before and the receptionist has been fine, although at my practice theres quite a few doctors

Well my mum actually recommended her saying she was 'sympathetic'. I alwaaays seem to have bad experiences with doctors.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    Well I'm is male, but if I wanted to talk about a female type problem I can ask to see one of the female ones, plus when my doctor was busy and I really need to see someone else I was oftered another doctor, it was another male, but since I had already told my male doctor about my lack of periods due to stress etc I thought what the hell, to be honest he was much more helpful even though he seemed at least 55.

This is what I trying to say in my post.
  • Options
    I don't like going to the doctors, I've always had the mean ones :( Dr Burton and Dr Middleton never believed you were actually ill, in fact the first time Dr Burton believed there was something wrong was at Christmas when I had a nice boil on my knee to show him. One of them actually prescribed me a BOOK for stress and rage (well anger but I was REALLY cross) management. The nurse at my home doctor's is lovely though, better than the matron at uni.
  • Options
    I don't like going to the doctors.

Same here. And no matter what my problem is, I nearly always get a male doctor...
  • Options
    Male, female I just don't like going!
    Some people have a fear of dentists, me I don't like going to the doctors!
  • Options
    Some doctors are nice; I know a few good ones.
  • Options
    You're not a proper doctor yet, you can't count yourself :p
  • Options
    You're not a proper doctor yet, you can't count yourself :p
    Even excluding myself there are some good ones. :p
  • Options
    Well I suppose Dr Bone is ok ...
  • Options
    Better than Dr Payne?
  • Options
    Much better than Dr Payne :yes:

My doctor when I lived in Reigate was called Dr Lug, that was so funny when I was 4.
  • Options
    One of them actually prescribed me a BOOK for stress and rage (well anger but I was REALLY cross) management.

yeah, It's a new thing by the NHS, instead od prescribing medication for things such as depression and stress they have a book list and will prescribe you a book on the condition you have gone to the doctors with. It started out in St Helens and supposedly worked really well, the books give you an insight into the conditions and will prob include ways to cope. Never had it done to me but sounded good when we had a talk on it at my last hospital placement.
  • Options
    It was going to cost me £20 and I was 16 with no money.
  • Options
    It was going to cost me £20 and I was 16 with no money.
    bloody hell shouldnt cost you, its free because you just get the books out your library...dont blame you for being bit pissed off with it then!
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Why do I always get the crap ones?

Gah. I tell the lady doctor that I am having trouble sleeping and am depressed as my dad died blah blah and she suggests going for a jog :confused: wtf.

SO STUPIDD.

Your doctor said that?!

I've had mixed experiences with doctors. Finally, after seeing every single doctor in my University surgery, I've finally found a doctor I'm comfortable talking to.
  • Options
    I've got a bloody fantastic doctor. He's absolutely great.

I've also had naff ones in the past. Most are fairly average - though average is still pretty damned good.

As with everything in life, different people will get along with different people. You may hate my doctor, and I may feel very comfortable with yours. It's just a case of sticking with it until you find one you're really happy with.

If anyone around Stafford wants a recommendation for a doctor, then I'm happy to point you his way :).

Rachael - I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It doesn't matter how old they were, how old you were, or who you were living with - everyone knows that losing someone you care for is traumatic. I'm not excusing the behaviour of your doctor if she did behave how you describe in your first post, but sometimes we say thngs that aren't interpreted by the listener in the manner in which we'd hoped. Maybe she was trying to point out that you still had your mother?
  • Options
    I've got a bloody fantastic doctor. He's absolutely great.

I've also had naff ones in the past. Most are fairly average - though average is still pretty damned good.

As with everything in life, different people will get along with different people. You may hate my doctor, and I may feel very comfortable with yours. It's just a case of sticking with it until you find one you're really happy with.

If anyone around Stafford wants a recommendation for a doctor, then I'm happy to point you his way :).

Rachael - I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It doesn't matter how old they were, how old you were, or who you were living with - everyone knows that losing someone you care for is traumatic. I'm not excusing the behaviour of your doctor if she did behave how you describe in your first post, but sometimes we say thngs that aren't interpreted by the listener in the manner in which we'd hoped. Maybe she was trying to point out that you still had your mother?

yeah, i think the point was being made was, at least you didn't live with him so it is a little easier (i experienced the same situation as you). IMO i prefer to have different doctors each time, i dont like sticking with the same one for some reason
  • Options
    Oh god. Some doctors are just terrible. Some just annoying. I saw the doctor last week and she put words in mouth and made me return to takin prozac because she believes it is a miracle drug. Despite my record showing I have tried and it didnt work so well. Then I asked her to prescribe my cream for eczema on my face that i've been getting for the past 3 yrs and she was like oh no thats evil stuff. and refused, gave me a less strong one which isn't working so well :banghead:
  • Options
    I hate going to the doctors, receptionists are so freakin mean as well. Is being a hag part of their job description?
  • Options
    i always hate having to go to the GP but thankfully so far I ahvnt had any bad experiences, although overall I personally have always found nurses to be a lot more sympathetic and nice so when ever I can I always try to get an appointment to seethe nurse and only see thre GP if I have to
  • Options
    my GP is awesome - he's nice to you (but not annoyingly sympathetic - i hate that), thorough, and a really smart guy.

problem is that now every bugger in the practice has cottoned on, and you have to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment with him.

most of the other docs in the practice are fine, but there are a couple of ones that i avoid like the plague. one blames everything on stress. one time i went over on my ankle, and when my mum took me to see her, she said 'joint pain is often due to stress'. we were like 'yer, joint pain can sometimes be due to falling over too'. that and i was 14, and the most stress i had was debating whether it was gym skirt or jogging bottom weather.
  • Options
    Theres a really nice dr at my surgry, she gives me hugs and everything, but only cos i've been seeing her since i was little. She so hard to get an appointment with tho:( They keep sending me to this really shit dr that wont even look at me, and he dont listen to what i'm saying. When i went in with a broken toe he was like it cant be broken, that bone thats practicly sticking out of your toe is just swelling and due to the pressure from limping. Damn gay dr knows nothing!