Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home exercises

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now it was a toss up between heath / sport & fitness, but seeing as more people view here, I thought I'd ask here.

When you're at home, and have no gym equipment, what exercises do you do to stay in shape?

Situps, press ups, anything else?

I'm just looking for some inspiration to get back into shape - and I won't be joining the gym til next month.

Ta very much

Comments

• Options
    I would do a few yoga positions to help strengthen my muscles as well as keeping myself flexible. I would do this about 30 mins a day. It's great for me, as it always helps me relax, while knowing it's keeping my body in shape.

I would also go for a run round me local park. I don't go as often as I use to though.
  • Options
    A whole heap of stuff- the gym sucks! (well, I can't afford the gym at the moment anyway, so that's what I tell myself). I warm up for about ten mins to groovy tunes with an old dance warm up routine. Then light stretches. Then I sit my arse down and eat another cream cake- like phew that was hard work. lol

Not really. I keep a diary of exercises/dance moves etc. helps me stay on target, though it's been shut for a while- the cream puffs were calling. Try an do different muscl groups each day with a day off for rest.
  • Options
    you could use your bottom step as a stepper to do step-aerobics on. maybe get a tin of beans in each hand to get your arms going, too. or a bit of hoovering?
  • Options
    This is what I do:
    1) Pressups
    2) Crunches
    3) Running/Jogging

Here is a simple plan to get your body used to running.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I do a 10min walk before my run to get my body to wake up (I run at 6am)
    I'm only 3 1/2 weeks into my run and my trousers are getting loose.

The advantages of this kind of approach:
    1) Costs no money
    2) Can do it anywhere, even on holiday
    3) A natural way to lose weight?
  • Options
    Some tai chi exercises, but modified to do them in a low stance, done slowly 3 reps of 3 exercises takes about 10 mins (good low level cv work). I do it at the start of my lunch break.

Head, shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes. (include e+e+m+n if you wish) for 5-10 mins.
    I do it while boiling the kettle.

Fill two empty 2 litre conditioner bottles with water.. Stand, holding one in each hand. Lift one knee as high as it can go, and put it back on the ground, then do the other leg - repeat, one leg every second for 30-60 seconds, then bending the arm at the elbow lift one bottle from the waist to the shoulder, while lowering the other. Once per second for 30-60 seconds. repeat for 3 minutes. (good high level CV work) - I do it while brewing tea
  • Options
    phishfood wrote:

ooh I used to do that. But on the treadmill at the gym. This was a few months ago now.

I slacked off, but may soon be pounding the streets again! although I'd rather pound something else

:D
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    Some tai chi exercises, but modified to do them in a low stance, done slowly 3 reps of 3 exercises takes about 10 mins (good low level cv work). I do it at the start of my lunch break.

Head, shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes. (include e+e+m+n if you wish) for 5-10 mins.
    I do it while boiling the kettle.

Fill two empty 2 litre conditioner bottles with water.. Stand, holding one in each hand. Lift one knee as high as it can go, and put it back on the ground, then do the other leg - repeat, one leg every second for 30-60 seconds, then bending the arm at the elbow lift one bottle from the waist to the shoulder, while lowering the other. Once per second for 30-60 seconds. repeat for 3 minutes. (good high level CV work) - I do it while brewing tea

oooh excellent advice. I always forget the simple things like that :(
  • Options
    i suggest getting yourself a skipping rope!! start out doing a certain amount of skips per day (say 250) and then work your way up! (or if not count skips - just set a timer and do it for 5 minutes and work way up that way!!)

i started doing it last year but simply became to lazy to carry it on!! lately trying to lose more weight though, so went into town a couple of weeks ago and bought myself another. i find it great cardio exercise! plus you dont have to go outside or down gym to do it! i just do it in my room.

other than skipping i try to do at least 50 situps, crunches and side 'twists' per day. if i can be bothered i also do squats to get my thighs more toned
  • Options
    That cool running website is ace! I am in the Army and I have my fitness test coming up soon so need to improve my current fitness levels but at the moment I just can't be bothered, especially with the really miserable, cold weather but that website has the structured programmes and will give me targets to reach so it will hopefully motivate me to get off my bum and do some running! Thanks!
  • Options
    I go to a gym 3 times a week, but when I'm at home I tend to do 10 mins on a trampette, or run up n down the stairs a few times, a 100 situp etc etc...

All the usual home workout.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I would do a few yoga positions to help strengthen my muscles as well as keeping myself flexible. I would do this about 30 mins a day. It's great for me, as it always helps me relax, while knowing it's keeping my body in shape.

I would also go for a run round me local park. I don't go as often as I use to though.
    Yoga's good for flexibility but it burns off less calories than golf. :D I say pick an exercise for each body part and combine that with some cardio twice or three times a week. Press-ups and chair dips for upper body. Crunches, leg lifts and that superman thing for the midsection. That thing where you sit against the wall without any chair for you're legs. I'm sure there's plenty of websites that can suggest more.

But I still reckon a set of dumbells is a good investment. They only cost about £20 and it vastly increases the number of exercises you can do just with them and you can target specific muscles much more easily. I don't know what you're aims are (lose weight, for example) but using weights isn't just about building muscle. But the more muscle you have, the quicker your body burns up fat so if you're wanting to lose weight, it's still worth doing some light weight training.