Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spasms...dont laugh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every so often Id wake up in the morning and one of my legs would just be in constant agony, it's as though as the muscle in my leg is contracting at once to the point where I think Im going to pass out with the pain. My mum said she used to get these when she was pregnant. Now, I know for a fact I'm not so has anyone else had any experience with this? :confused:

Maybe a blocked blood vessel or something?

Comments

• Options
    maybe cramp?

i get cramps in my legs that wake me up now and again, and they are really painful. not entirely sure what causes them, so i asked my mum, and she says all the females in our family are prone to them, and the doctor told my grandma it was caused either by too much salt in your diet, or not enough, but my grandma could never remember which.

useful :thumb:
  • Options
    i get that all the time!!! for me, its one of the worst pains ever!! at times it can be so excrutiatingly painful its made me cry :crying:

i didnt know what was causing it either, but when i mentioned it to a friend a few weeks ago, she said all you have to do is stand up and move your legs a bit and it should go away!!

usually when i get it i just try and lie still and bear it until it goes away, but when i tried standing up the pain went completely!

if you havent tried it then thats what i suggest. if you do that and it still hurts then i have noo idea what to do!
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    i get that all the time!!! for me, its one of the worst pains ever!! at times it can be so excrutiatingly painful its made me cry :crying:

i didnt know what was causing it either, but when i mentioned it to a friend a few weeks ago, she said all you have to do is stand up and move your legs a bit and it should go away!!

usually when i get it i just try and lie still and bear it until it goes away, but when i tried standing up the pain went completely!

if you havent tried it then thats what i suggest. if you do that and it still hurts then i have noo idea what to do!

If I get them in my knees and stand up, my knees click and the pain becomes worse - so bad that sometimes I can't walk or stand at all...
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:

aye, if it is cramp, gently stretching out your legs will get rid of it. hurts like hell initially, but after that you can get back to sleep in a jiffy :)
  • Options
    Yep, i've had cramps. Had them in loads of different places - hurts like a bitch. only thing to do is ride them out.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I get a cramp on my big toes, whenever I move them without moving the rest of the toes on the same foot. So why do I keep making that movement? :(
  • Options
    I sometimes wake up with a weird pain in my leg muscles, like they are spasming too. As if the muscle is kind of stuck in a certain position. Hurts like hell. I sympathise. I don't think it's anything major to worry about, just move your leg around when it happens and it should soon ease up.
  • Options
    I get cramps in my legs sometimes too... you can actually see the muscle all tensed up and it kills!!!!!
    I find bending my leg and forcing the rest of my body to relax gets rid of it, but I get a lasting pain when I walk for a day or two after so I can't stretch my leg out properly. :confused:
    My mum said she got them in pregnancy too... I think it can be a salt difficiancy thing.
  • Options
    Such a relief to hear other people have this. Salt deficiency? I thought salt was part of the axis of evil now, and we should all be avoiding it? Totally know how you feel, it feels as if one leg has been running a marathon for 12 hours afterwards lol.
  • Options
    I get cramps alot. Sometimes I wake up at night with my leg up in the air which I can't move which is very annoying when you just wanna roll over and go back to sleep.
  • Options
    It sounds like a cramp, I get it sometimes in my calved- the muscle contracts so much it feels like its going to snap. It's agony. You just need to gently stretch the muscle out again, and it will go away.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people get them when they're hungover too. I know I do. I reckon it's salt deficiancy, because that's why you crave a bacon sandwich after a night out too.
  • Options
    I think pregnant women get the cramps cos the baby takes up all the stuff it needs before the woman gets her share...
    Too much salt is bad for you, but obviously you do need some.
    Not 100% sure that's what causes it though... and they can probably be caused by other things too.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    It sounds like a cramp, I get it sometimes in my calved- the muscle contracts so much it feels like its going to snap. It's agony. You just need to gently stretch the muscle out again, and it will go away.
    When mine happens, it's impossible to even try to move it back... I just let it calm.
  • Options
    yeh it sounds like a cramp! you get them because you are respiring anareobically (without oxygen) so as by product of the repiration lactic acide is formed. this builds up in your muscle hence causing the cramp! you tend to get them when you suddenly move after lying down for a while which is probably why u got them in the morning. Sorry if its too sciency!!