Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Claiming disability

Basically, I was just wondering having looked at the job centre website is there a allowance so to speak for long term depression? I know you'll think I'm a lazy arse who just doesn't want a job but it's like this. I'm 18 and have had 2 full time jobs since leaving school. Had depression since I was 14 and have been on antidepressants. When at work I get really stressed at the slightest thing which upsets me so then i cry. Then when I cry I have a panic attack. All tied in with the depression really. I don't think it's the job I'm in either because as I said I've had it since 14, to the extent of wanting to commit suicide. Things are pretty bad at the moment and I have to admit that without my partner (who I'm living with, so now we have the added stress of being able to keep up with bills as I can't work at the mo) I would be feeling at my lowest again. He's all that keeps me going. Anyway, basically as there are allowances by the government for so many things, one i saw today was for bad weather? Anyway, do you offer any kind of financial support for those unable to work due to severe depression?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you can if it's severe and life inhibiting enough , think it's called something like incapacity allowance or something liike that, my uncle was on it for a while due to depression type stuff.

it's kind of a last resort in depression cases though i think (i may be very wrong though) and he had all sorts of other treatments going on at the same time to try and solve the problem/ find out the causes of it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can get incapacity benefit if you are too ill to work, but to be quite honest you should only really look at it as a final option.

because of the concerted media campaign to make everyone on IB look like loafers, now it is very hard to get a decent amount of money on it. If you're on IB you aren't entitled to additional benefits that you can get on JSA. It's a pain in the arse, you have to continually prove you're not fit enough to work.

You'd be better off trying to sort yourself out without going on IB unless you really need the money.