Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Supervised self harming

Sorry if this has been posted before, but its an interesting story and hopefully one which will be a success.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4830448.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know why, but this just makes me so mad! It seems so sick and so twisted.
    Who could watch someone hurt themselves and honestly not want to stop them or help them?
    I know for a fact that I could not self-harm if I knew there was someone there. I wouldn't do that to them, and it would make things so much worse for me. The humilation and the shame would be ten times worse.
  • Options
    It's a bit like having shooting galleries for addicts though isnt it, its hardly the best solution but at least (hopefully) reduces the harm caused.

And by the sound of it the programme is a lot more than just supervision.
  • Options
    When I first read the title of your thread I thought WTF! But then after reading the article I think that it is a good idea and I hope that it is successful.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with some of it, I guess. But still... I just don't like it. For some unknown reason, it just doesn't rest well with me.
  • Options
    Yeah, something similar was done when the idea was first suggested.

It's a great way of minimising the damage caused by it, but you'd have to be daft to say its ideal.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, something similar was done when the idea was first suggested.

It's a great way of minimising the damage caused by it, but you'd have to be daft to say its ideal.

Definately not ideal, but I think it is a good way for people to cope whilst they try and resolve their problems.
  • Options
    One of my friends emailed me that this am. I have to concede that having read the article I think I agree with the programme, it looks well-run, but at first glance I wasn't convinced.
  • Options
    When I first read it I though WTF?!?! That's just wrong but thinking about it I supose it could work. A lot of people would probably prefer to take the other methods or talk about it rather than have to harm themselves with someone watching over their shoulder. It's kind of reverse psychology.
    It would make me feel so incredibly self-concious and stupid having someone watch. I wouldn't be able to do it.
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    When I first read it I though WTF?!?! That's just wrong but thinking about it I supose it could work. A lot of people would probably prefer to take the other methods or talk about it rather than have to harm themselves with someone watching over their shoulder. It's kind of reverse psychology.
    It would make me feel so incredibly self-concious and stupid having someone watch. I wouldn't be able to do it.
    No, me neither, I don't think. It's so personal.
  • Options
    Maybe that's the point! Having someone there makes you not wanna do it.

Well...not really. I'd just find it even more frustrating.
  • Options
    people who self harm usually don't want people to know....and they deffinatly don't want to be watched
    seems a bit odd to me...but it is like drugs or smoking or drinking, you need to cut down before you stop, because if you stop so suddenly you'll go straight back to it and be even worse
  • Options
    How interesting I've never heard of that before.