Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Horoscopes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is your opinion on them?

I think they make them so generic that the person reading them is autumatically going to think 'Hey thats me!!'

For example 'I trust too easily'...

Comments

• Options
    You're probably right there...there is a psychology term for it I learnt last year, but I forgot what it was. Either way, a pigeon flying overhead has more chance of affecting my life than some ball of flaming gas billions of light years away.
  • Options
    They are the biggest load of bollocks ever.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    They are the biggest load of bollocks ever.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Bah no debate ere then :p
  • Options
    i like to read up on my star sign, like the traits etc. i also like to read horoscopes before i start my day or when i've finished to reflect. i dont take any of it seriously though.
  • Options
    its scary how many people read and believe this shit every day.......but is it a bad thing? people can read what they want into it,and it gets them through the day.
  • Options
    Depends who they are....I seem to recall at the height of the Cold War that Nancy Reagan was using them. What sort of influence did that give the astrologer? There could be people out there who base stock options on them....thats a worrying thought....
  • Options
    It's most likely the nearest thing to truth in your daily paper.

Vague language and the obvious mostly.

Come summer and "you might be taking a trip". No shit. Come xmas and "you might be entertaining family members...tensions may be high but Neptune is highlighted meaning there may be an unexpected surprise"..really? Amazing! come Febuary and "love is in the air but watch for a tendency to overindulge in chocolates if you find yourself alone"...Clare Petulengro, Justin Toper and Mystic Meg - how do you do it!!??.

Vague, accurate, useless bollocks.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Bah no debate ere then :p

What's to debate? There is no evidence to prove that they work. However, if some people choose to beleive in them and it makes them happy, that's fine ... but, as Alladin has said, I think its all bollocks ... :)
  • Options
    I always read my horoscope everyday. The thing is I can read another starsign and relate something in it to me.
  • Options
    They are never even remotely close to true, no matter how generic they make them.
  • Options
    I think they can be a good thing when they dish out positive advice. Even if people think its solely for them, like I said before it can apply to anyone but if someone uses it then heyho. It must be okay.
  • Options
    I don't believe in them but it doesn't stop me reading them :lol:. I've read the character traits and they are quite true to me but other than that as I said I don't believe in them.
  • Options
    I dont believe in those daily horoscopes, made up by charlatans, but real astrology, calculated properly, I do believe in.
  • Options
    I treat the daily horoscope as a bit of fun. I open the paper, I wonder "what's going to happen to us Capricornians today", I read it. Sometimes it's complete nonsense, other days it makes sense.
  • Options
    Horoscopes, like astrology and other "supernatural" doctrines, are there as a religion because people don't believe in a God.

They don't believe in a God, they're too intelligent for that, but someone like Derek Akora has them wrapped round his finger with a few vague and banal inanities.

Astrology has replaced Christianity for these people. Their choice, but at least Christianity makes sense.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    but at least Christianity makes sense.

Thats debatable
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Horoscopes, like astrology and other "supernatural" doctrines, are there as a religion because people don't believe in a God.

They don't believe in a God, they're too intelligent for that, but someone like Derek Akora has them wrapped round his finger with a few vague and banal inanities.

Astrology has replaced Christianity for these people. Their choice, but at least Christianity makes sense.
    bit of a generilastion there. I would never lead my life around it. Not even nearly, I just dont think its all bullshit, My dad is into it and does peoples birth charts and astrological profiles and its always uncannily accurate.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I've known quite a few religious people who also believe in astrology to various degrees though so there's a bit of everything. Many superstitious people also appear to be deeply religious.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I think they make them so generic that the person reading them is autumatically going to think 'Hey thats me!!'

For example 'I trust too easily'...

That's the obvious explanation...but isn't always so. Some horoscopes seem to represent specific personality types. I know I suit mine over all others...although i don't take them seriously.
  • Options
    i'm a typical aries :cool:
  • Options
    I got a book on chinese horoscopes once for me Gran. it was fucking hilarious - stuff like "a monkey will pull you out of a tree when you are 76" and so on.
  • Options
    Even if sometimes horoscopes matches what happend in your life, most of the time they are useless and all you say is "my horoscopes was right"...

After if some people are stupid eough to believe in them to sit on their ass and wait for that princecharming or something, then it is sad.

My grand-dad does numerology and sometimes his stuff matches.

I even had the tarot done once and some stuff matches.

But everytime what matches is vague infrmation where you can see point that related to your story.

Also if I am not wrong astrology is based on the position of the stars in the sky and as an universe keeps on expanding stars position keep on changing so witout high-tech equipment I don't see how it is possible to give proper result.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    That's the obvious explanation...but isn't always so. Some horoscopes seem to represent specific personality types. I know I suit mine over all others...although i don't take them seriously.

I think people agree that their horoscope matches them because the descriptions of the star signs traits are almost always vaguely complimentary stuff that people can look at and think "Hey - that's me! I'm reliable and make a good friend - but I've got a wild and crazy side, too!"

If the descriptions were like "Taureans tend to be daft twats who wear stupid shoes and talk too loudly on public transport", a lot less people would believe in astrology...
  • Options
    It's not *always* complimentary stuff though, for example Librans are notoriously incapable of making decisions. But I guess that if it's negative stuff you can abdicate responsibility for your less pleasant traits by saying "I can't help it, it's because I'm a virgo"
    I reckon that it's clearly nonsense though, to live your life by what a horoscope says. Although I have been complaining bitterly over the last while about mercury being in retrograde currently, which is OBVIOUSLY why all the computers at work keep breaking... ;)
  • Options
    I'm always cynical about horoscopes and a lot of spiritual phenomenoms out at the moment, basically because I find spiritual consumerism often targets people who are insecure and need answers, or who are lost. However I do believe that there are genuine psychcs out there, I would put my life on that... Anyway... Horoscopes...

I would like to believe that they are bullshit, but the Sagittarius profile matches me perfectly. Wierd...
  • Options
    I bet if I cut out the character profiles for every sign into 12 peaces of paper (without showing which one is which) you would find similarities and familiarity with every single one of them.

The concept that the character of all of us (i.e. the human race as a whole, regardless of when they were born) is influenced by celestial bodies would very unlikely to start with. But the claims that people's characeters would be forever influenced depending on which day they were born is stupid beyond words.

However that is not the worst part of astrology. There is nothing wrong with believing in such claptrap so long as you don't use it for guidance (I've actually known one or two people over the years who have been prejudiced against going on a date with certain people ''because their star sign is not really compatible'' with the person in question). But there is a lot more wrong with the part of astrology that claims to predict the future by looking at the movement of the stars.

One thing is claiming that you are of certain disposition because you were born on August 23rd (silly as it is) and quite another to say those born on August 23rd should buy a lottery ticket next week or avoid travelling in October.

Those astrologists who write their "predictions" in newspapers and magazines should be put against a wall and shot.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

not true...many people who believ in a god believe in horoscopes as well...and some christians don't think that Christianity makes sense - to each his own i guess.

but some people beleive in horoscops and stuff because they're born into a culture where birth charts and the like are made as soon as you're born. i was born into such a culture, but i was always told that how accurate it may seem to be (and most of it was quite accurate), i am my own master and the power to change is at hand anytime i want it.
    thats what people have to understand...horoscopes arent prophesies, they're possibilities....