Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Announcing new content...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
We've got a new section on TheSite.org featuring articles about Net & Tech trends and issues :yippe:

See the new section here :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oooh
  • Options
    You just keep getting better dontcha!
  • Options
    I would consider listing www.allofmp3.com as its the cheapest place to download music on the net :) (as far as I know)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spiffy!
  • Options
    Cool!

Some great links in there!

Cracking, a dedicated section on Thesite.org for Net & Tech.
  • Options
    nice!
  • Options
    I would consider listing www.allofmp3.com as its the cheapest place to download music on the net :) (as far as I know)

Is it legit? and i take it you pay yeah?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Is it legit? and i take it you pay yeah?

if legit is giving your cash to some random russians who didn't pay for the music in the first place then yeah...

if you're gonna download stolen music, don't bother paying russians for the pleasure.
    The Music Industry's point of view

The Music Industry claims that Allofmp3 is illegal. Their opinion is that recorded music has three sets of rights. The songwriter has the copyright to the song, the artist his own rights in it, and the record label and producers a third set. Allofmp3 is paying the songwriters, via the collection agency ROMS, but they are acting without the permission of the other copyright holders.

and another from a guardian article: http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1171203,00.html
    Cheaper still is Allofmp3.com, a site based in Russia, although there is a link to change to the English version. It pays fees to the Russian Organisation for Multimedia and digital Systems, Roms.ru, which divvies up the takings on behalf of Russian copyright holders. It charges $14.95 (£8.30) for 1,000 files a month, or $0.01 per megabyte, and offers downloadable videos as well as music. One clever feature is its online encoding - you can choose which format and sample rate you would like to download, up to 384kbps MP3, perhaps three times the clarity of an average MP3.

The problem is that, according to the recording industry, these sites are breaking the law. As Alan Dixon, general counsel of the London-based International Federation of the Phonograph Industry, says of Weblisten: "They have not less than six lawsuits pending against them, and two criminal proceedings. They are taking advantage of the way the Spanish legal system moves incredibly slowly: they have never been declared as legitimately distributing the plaintiff's recording."

The issue is that recorded music has three sets of rights to be argued over. The songwriter has the copyright to the song, the artist his own rights in it, and the record label and producers a third set. While these Russian and Spanish sites may be paying the songwriters, via a collection agency, they are acting without the permission of the other copyright holders.

The Russian sites claim that, under Russian law, foreign record labels releasing music in Russia give up their rights to prevent this. Not so, says Dixon. Such Soviet-era rules were rescinded under "article 47 paragraph 2 of the Russian Copyright Code" years ago. Downloading from such sites would be infringing both British and Russian copyright law, he says.

This is a pity. For if a legitimate deal were put in place, the Russian sites would prove far superior to the current European offerings. Not only are their connections fast, and the quality of the files much better, but the price is perfect. The new Norah Jones album, for example, is going for 31p - less than the cost of a single track from the Apple iTunes Music Store. And remember, as with Mperia, these are plain MP3 files, unencumbered by any form of copy protection.
  • Options
    if legit is giving your cash to some random russians who didn't pay for the music in the first place then yeah...

if you're gonna download stolen music, don't bother paying russians for the pleasure.

Thats why i asked as i would like to download some music legally but at cheap as possible.
  • Options
    it might be illegal if a company did that over here, but the company is in russia, and you break no laws in buying material... as far as i know.
  • Options
    You wanna do something on 419 fraud, I would actually write something myself on that topic.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Cheers for the heads up- that's probably something we would look to cover within the article on spam as it doesn't seem to be an issue that would warrant an article all of it's own on TheSite. I will let Spanner know :thumb: