Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

food problem..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think i have a strange problem.
Jus wondering if anyone is the same, or has known it before, or it is a recognised thing,or if its just me...

When i'm hungry, and not at home, i'll get something to eat.
So for example, am out shopping and go to KFC. I'll eat it and think mmmm then think...oh no what if that wasnt cooked properly, or has been sitting there for too long! I'm going to get food poisoning now :sour:
Then i think no i'll be ok. but then an hour might pass and i'll start to think ooh im feeling a bit sick now. oh no i bet i've got food posioning...And it carries on like that. Sometimes im convinced i'm going to be sick.
I mean after about 6 hours has passed i'll be almost shaking from worrying so much about being ill.

But i know that im ultra paranoid yet i'll still go to a fast food place and eat, yet then spend the next 10 hours worrying about it.

Its driving me mad. My boyfriend thinks im crazy :(

And i really dont know what to do :(

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    i have the worrying about poisoning thing, but that's all linked to my foody/puke phobias anyway, and i don't eat anywhere i don't trust.

if i absolutely have to eat somewhere i think could poison me, i'll choose something relatively harmless, like chips and a drink.

your solution is either to stop eating at dodge places (there are plenty of respectable eating places out and about that won't poison you), or realise that you've eaten at these places time and time and time again and you've not been poisoned yet, so it ain't likely.

the second option is your best bet. avoidance is counter-productive to fear and phobias.
  • Options
    Its not just at fast food places.

When im at home, and my mum heats up left overs like of a big stew she made or soemthing, everyone has it. She heats it up so its at the right temp for long enuff, yet iu still insist on putting mine in the microwave for like 5 mins lol to Blast it just to be sure.

And at a restaurant that everyone always goes to and always has good food, and have never got ill from, i'll still be paranoid.

And when im eating at home- i chop meat in half and inspect its color and texture, and check how long its been cooked for etc

I've tried telling myself that i've never been ill from eating at these places.
    In my head im thinking mmmm KFC i love it! Fish and chips, chinese take away mmmm so i eat and love it and then i think- oh no i might get ill !!
  • Options
    sounds a bit obvious but don't buy kfc?
  • Options
    not just kfc, its just cos i ate that tonight so it prompted me to write it!!
  • Options
    well if it makes you feel ill why do you eat it?!
  • Options
    Well if i dont eat- i will die eventually
  • Options
    sorry my mistake...didn't read that you'd said not just fast food. :)
  • Options
    lol
    thats fine.
    If it was just fast food i guess i could stop myself eating it.

you would think that my brain would remember -
    when i eat from here, i worry i will get ill. So if i dont eat from here, i wont get that feeling...But no :(
  • Options
    i'm very fussy about where i get my food from - i never go to the sorts of places people go to after a night out. :yuck:

but i trust my mum to know what she's doing, and you know your mum is going to cook your food properly etc. not trying to say you don't trust your mum - but out of everyone she's gonna do it properly.

i get like it with eating in general - say i'm poorly after eating something (even if it's just a coincidence), it'll take me a while to think about eating that food again incase it was that that made me poorly.

only thing i can suggest is that you need to get your brain to disassociate the restaurant food = dodgy tummy equation. perhaps try going to restaurants and then when you feel fine you'll get rid of the thingy in your brain. does that make sense?!
  • Options
    there's no magic cure.

the only way is to keep eating it and keep going 'oh, i'm fine. knew i would be' to the voices in your head. ever heard that saying 'do one thing every day that scares you'? this applies here. keep doing it and you will get less scared. it might take weeks, it might take years, but i promise you, eventually you will become less scared.

avoiding it helps in the short term, but is a nightmare in the long run, because then you develop a behaviour, and you learn that avoiding it makes you not panic, so you avoid it, and before you know it you are avoiding everything and you are first class crazy. (believe me, i know). that is REALLY hard to come back from.
  • Options
    i'm the same...i don't do it all the time, i have phases, especially with stuff like kfc and chinese. I'm emetophobic (like kaff) so i avoid putting myself in situations that could make me throw up like drinking and eating cooked stuff from places i dont trust.
    If you are sick, the best way to put it is the sooner the better...to get it done with.