Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Elected fire and police leaders?

I just received my delightful council tax bill today.

The council themselves have been good, and kept the increase below 2%.

The police, on the other hand, help themselves to yet another above-inflation increase, and the fire service help themselves to an obscene 5% increase.

And because this country is a democracy, I can do fuck all about this. I can't vote out the thief that runs Tyne and Wear Fire Service (and that's not slander, that cunt was convicted of shoplifting from B&Q not so long ago), and I can't vote out the incompetent Chief Constable of Northumbria.

Of course the council gets all the flak from it, too.

Does anyone else its about time we get to vote out morons that run our fire and police services? Londoners should get to put a size nine right through Iain Blair's deceitful backside, and I should get to vote out a convicted thief that's helping himself to barrowloads of my money for no good reason.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Realistically, I see no reason why we shouldn't do this. My only concern is with numbers of voters. In other words, would people actually vote in these elections if they were brought in, or would turn-out to be pathetically low? I'm in favour of it, bar this hurdle.
  • Options
    The scallies would love to vote out coppers.

I know I would.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Realistically, I see no reason why we shouldn't do this. My only concern is with numbers of voters. In other words, would people actually vote in these elections if they were brought in, or would turn-out to be pathetically low? I'm in favour of it, bar this hurdle.
    maybe the vote could be taken on the form when your paying?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Does anyone else its about time we get to vote out morons that run our fire and police services? Londoners should get to put a size nine right through Iain Blair's deceitful backside, and I should get to vote out a convicted thief that's helping himself to barrowloads of my money for no good reason.
    I think if Londoners could get rid of Ian Blair, we would. Sadly I can't see a way.

There's always hoping he'll take a holiday and come back all tanned, and one of his men confuses him for a dangerous Arab. ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think if Londoners could get rid of Ian Blair, we would. Sadly I can't see a way. There's always hoping he'll take a holiday and come back all tanned, and one of his men confuses him for a dangerous Arab. ;)
    Don't worry. Mr Blair will soon be out of office. The question is, which one's first? ;)
  • Options
    Can't it be both?
  • Options
    Why not just have your insurance pay for them if and when you need them?

It's amazing what those bastards will do for cash.

House burns down? Add the call out bill to the tab.

See...easy....
  • Options
    Look what happened in the general elections, though.

:no:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think if Londoners could get rid of Ian Blair, we would. Sadly I can't see a way.

I saw a blog the other day of a London PC who said he thought Ian Blair was doing terrible damage to public trust in the police. His last post said he'd received a note from whoever saying that PCs posting on blogs could result in disciplinary action and so wouldn't be posting anymore.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    (and that's not slander, that cunt was convicted of shoplifting from B&Q not so long ago)

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd forgotten about that, thanks for the laugh!
  • Options
    I saw a blog the other day of a London PC who said he thought Ian Blair was doing terrible damage to public trust in the police. His last post said he'd received a note from whoever saying that PCs posting on blogs could result in disciplinary action and so wouldn't be posting anymore.
    Sir Ian is probably too busy trying to work out what to do with his recordings of his conversations with the Attorney General to notice. :p