Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mood Swings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

I thought I would post this topic because my mood swings are really getting me down now. They are terrible everyday and my mood can literally change by the hour. I'm okay just now, for example, but later I might be laughing and joking or in floods of tears and I just don't know why. I'm not taking the pill or on any other form of medication and I don't think it's related to PMT, for example, because these mood swings happen all the time. Do you think I should see a doctor, or is there anything I could take along the herbal/natural remedies line?

It's really starting to upset me.

Comments

• Options
    I find that starflower oil really helps.
  • Options
    I really don't think natural remedies do much good, certainly not the over-priced pills you can get from health food shops.

How long have you been having mood swings? Mood swings can be caused by many things, not least stress. Ill-health and tiredness can also cause emotions to go haywire, I always get really bad mood swings when I'm knackered or poorly.

If its something that's only been going on for a few weeks then I'd just try to relax, and try to take things easy, ride it out. But if its been going on for two or three months then I think you could do with going to talk to a doctor, as there may well be an underlying reason- physical or mental- why your emotions and moods are not stable.
  • Options
    Thanks both for replying.

Kermit - it has been going on for a long while now, more than 3 months I reckon. I'm not really one for going to the doctor much and I don't want to waste their time. Would they actually be able to help me or point me in the right direction? I've not been ill, but pretty stressed at times. I don't feel I have direction or purpose anymore and it really gets me down. Maybe it's related to that.
  • Options
    Depression sometimes manifests itself in violent mood swings, and sometimes that's caused by stress at work- and that can include having ambition stifled.

More than likely a doctor w3ill prescribe ADs at first, but I would say that they are good for mood swings, as they stabilise mood. Not in a happy fairy way, but they do act to curb the violent excesses of the swing.

Maybe you need to talk through what's wrong at the minute with someone.
  • Options
    Thats true- i havent been violent since i started taking medication!!!
  • Options
    Personally I don't like ADs - I feel more can be achieved by counselling or some sort.
  • Options
    My advice is start something that's mentally and physically exerting- a martial art or my fave- breakdancing. It'll give you an avenue to vent, especially if it's competative, any time you feel angry- practice!
  • Options
    First of all, this is the health forum, therefore, posting about mood swings should not be insulted - you know who you are and your post has been removed - not very helpful.

Draven - sorry to hear about how you've been feeling. Is there anything in particular that you can associate these mood swings with? Starflower oil is actually quite a proven help with PMS but if it's not related to your cycle you might not find it useful.

As others have said, trying to control your stress levels can help a lot - easier said than done, I know! Here are some articles on TheSite that might help you:

Coping with stress

Anxiety and stress

Good mood food

Fitness and mental health

There are many things that can affect mood - change in diet, medication, lifestyle, weather! But it could be something more serious - if you're worried that you can't learn to control them yourself I'd make an appointment with your GP to have a chat and get some advice.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, and thanks spanner for the links. I'm still debating whether to go to doctor or not because sometimes I feel just fine. I guess I just need to tell someone, so thanks for reading :)