Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The BBC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4804044.stm

Im not sure if this is the correct board..

I've just read an article on the BBC site that it's to change its way forward by accounting to the audiences needs more. It says it will limit the amount of activities on the Internet, however.....

I read not long ago that the BBC is thinking of also moving online to broadcast shows like Eastenders. I can understand the prospect that Internet TV looks good but is it so good at the moment when we can just use our TV. I just cant understand the justification when we use the computer for the Internet, DVDs, writing documents which all can be done when watching the TV. Maybe when technology moves forward it will be more convenient.

Whats your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    They should concentrate on making and getting decent programmes to show.
  • Options
    Just wait until Kermit sees this thread, that'll get things going... :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Just wait until Kermit sees this thread, that'll get things going... :p
    :D
  • Options
    The BBC has already made an agreement with ITV to work together to screen all of its television over the internet (in a similar style to their radio I'd expect) - I seem to remember the agreement came about as an attempt to beat channel 4 to be first. I'll see if I can did out the new media age article tomorrow.

Of course nothing moves quick but I'd expect it to happen ahead of the analogue turn off in 2008, as a further method to guarantee access to TV
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    ahead of the analogue turn off in 2008

I thought that was in 2012?
  • Options
    A wonderful set of reforms that still means those thieving morons can pay Davina McCall £1million per year to read an autocue for a programme no fucker watches.

It should be an independent watchdog, and everyone who pays the BBC Tax should have the right to vote out sickeningly violent men such as the DG Mark Thompson, a man so mature he thinks its cool to bite people he doesn't like.

The BBC should be shut down and sold off anyway. It should have happened 30 years ago, long before things that actually were broken down and sold off.
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    I thought that was in 2012?
    It's being switched off in different parts of the country at different times. In other words, London for instance, will go digital before an area like Ulster. I think they're switching it off slowly per ITV region.
    Kermit wrote:
    A wonderful set of reforms that still means those thieving morons can pay Davina McCall £1million per year to read an autocue for a programme no fucker watches.
    Go back to Channel 4, Davina, your show's not working. I saw it last week, it was crap beyond belief. Graham Norton, anyone? Britain's Best Toilet? :p
  • Options
    Planet Earth?

A programme that is worth an entire year's licence fee money.

A programme which would not have been made if the BBC didn't exist in its present form.

Enough said.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Planet Earth?
    A programme which would not have been made if the BBC didn't exist in its present form.
    Enough said.
    OK, so what fills the other 167 hours of the BBC's programming this week? Let's have a look... according to the TV guide, today we have the following delights... we have Bargain Hunt, Cash in the Attic, Davina, and a crap game of football. Not as much rubbish as usual today, but the way Aladdin goes on, you'd think the BBC showed Planet Earth non-stop 24 hours a day. :p
  • Options
    No but it goes to show that the BBC is capable of producing programmes of a quality unparalelled anywhere else.

As far as BBC-haters are concerned, the insitution cannot win. If it produces high quality cultural programmes the ratings go down and the bbcphobes complain that nobody is interested in watching the BBC and that there is no reason for the fee to exist.

And if the BBC produces mass-market products that are watched by every other fool (beating in fact all other channels including the ultra populist ITV) the very same bbcphobes argue that it is dumbed down television and that shouldn't be so given the amount it receives through the licence fee.

As it happens the BBC does an excellent balancing act of providing programmes for all tastes from mindless soaps to ground-breaking nature programmes. Just as it's required by the charter by the way.

It's all down to personal opinion of course, but if we have to choose between keeping the BBC as it is through the licence fee or allowing it to go commercial and lose the jewels it produces, then I'm all for the licence. Sorry for those who disagree but Auntie is an asset to this country that should be protected at all costs.
  • Options
    Aladdin,
    You would have absolutely Sky News last night. I was going through their interactive service fairly late at night, looking at the news before going to bed. Meantime, they were busily reviewing this morning's newspapers. The guests were Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, of The Independent, and Andrew Porter, deputy political editor of The Sun. The story about the BBC came up, and they showed on screen a report in The Sun, written by none other than Mr Porter himself. Yasmin laid into it, describing it as "the most biased report I've ever seen". You should have seen it - Porter went absolutely livid! He just came across as a complete twat. Read his report and you can smell the impartiality... no wait, it's the smell of bullshit. :rolleyes:

His report, if you can stomach it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Planet Earth?

Enough said.

I couldn't agree more.

The day that independant companies produce programme of that quality, or that of Life on Mars (for example) is the day that I will be converted to anti-licence fee.

For all the abuse which is heaped on the BBC, the quality of shows on satellite and ITV is a damn sight poorer and yet you still pay for those - just indirectly.
  • Options
    I thank the BBC for their interactive service that they provide on the Internet. Especially the educational features they provide for a child/teenager, ranging from childrens early learning to gcse bitesize. The health and science/nature part is also good. Think i agree with Aladdin
  • Options
    The day that independant companies produce programme of that quality, or that of Life on Mars (for example) is the day that I will be converted to anti-licence fee.

Wire in the Blood?

Sharpe?

As If?
  • Options
    Which I think you'll find kermit are spread over the other channels and rare. Considerably rarer than the bbc's best efforts.

Other examples are the shakespeare remakes, before that the canterbury tales. CBBC retains it's educational value (I managed to catch the really wild show's latest incarnation, it was one coral reef destruction), and is in fact providing new opertunities for children to have experiences in the new "seriously" set of programs sending kids to the amazon, antarctic and andies etc etc. Though in the same way as adult television, dick and dom in da bungalow is considerably more crap than live and kicking ever was on it's worst day.

Swings and roundabouts really.

Incidentally, when the bbc did that ocean nature thingy didn't the team actually discover a new species?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Which I think you'll find kermit are spread over the other channels and rare. Considerably rarer than the bbc's best efforts.

The BBC's best efforts aren't exactly knee-deep.

Maybe if the BBC actually did show its "quality" more often, I wouldn't resent the licence fee quite as much. But for every Coast there's a Davina McCall on a £1million salary. And whilst the Canterbury Tales was good, the Beeb didn't exactly excel itself with the truly diabolical adaptation of Gormenghast did it?

And if I have to see one more advertisement with Leslie Grantham telling me BBC is "the one to watch" (gosh, it must have taken the world's greatest minds to come up with that one), I will scream.

But all this again misses the point. If the BBC's programming is so fantastically wonderful, surely they would have no problem selling subscriptions to it? Sky manage it, and Sky is rubbish.
  • Options
    But all this again misses the point. If the BBC's programming is so fantastically wonderful, surely they would have no problem selling subscriptions to it? Sky manage it, and Sky is rubbish.

:yes:
  • Options
    I resent the licence for the programming, because its awful. However, I think the resources and sites the BBC provide (such as the BBC archives) nearly, but not quite, make up for it. For TV alone it is rubbish, but not all the money goes there.
  • Options
    I resent it because it tries it's damndest to be involuntary.