Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Gig This Friday!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So then, i will be gracing the decks in my first gig soon, i have been practicing in the bedroom for 4 years and now it has come down to the breakthrough...(hopefully). I am kinda nervous but i am kinda gagging to get on with the day now. I am just hoping my style of House goes down well. does anyone else on this board DJ out? I have been booked to play the next 2 club nights...

i will post a link to the mp3 of the set i played when i have done it!

Lets Have It! :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Nice one :D hope it goes well for you. I've been practising in the bedroom for about 8 months now and would like to one day play out ... one day :D
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:
    So then, i will be gracing the decks in my first gig soon, i have been practicing in the bedroom for 4 years and now it has come down to the breakthrough...(hopefully). I am kinda nervous but i am kinda gagging to get on with the day now. I am just hoping my style of House goes down well. does anyone else on this board DJ out? I have been booked to play the next 2 club nights...

i will post a link to the mp3 of the set i played when i have done it!

Lets Have It! :thumb:

Yeah I play in a local bar... have done many different pubs / bars / clubs over the years though.
    Your first time playing out in a club will be wicked mate! Its one of them things, you will be well nervous at first... but once you get going you will forget all that and just enjoy yourself!

I was lucky with my DJing... practised for about a year in my bed room, then got a few lucky breaks which got my some nice sets, including a warm up for DJ EZ, back when Garage was a bit more popular!

I have been DJing 6 years now and still loving it... although I have switched from Vinyl to CD now... sell out I know, but I play so many types of music I couldnt keep up with it on vinyl!!

Good luck mate, hope it goes well!
  • Options
    So then i was lucky enough (or was they lucky enough ;) lol) to grace the decks. before i went on i was nervous as hell so i had a quick short for the dutch courage, i went on got shown what the mixer was about and put my first record on the deck..i started off and thought i was gonna be sick but i got down to it, shook some hands with some peeps and started to get into the mix, i knew that the mix was in time so, started to do some chopping and what not.. the first track came to the cue point on where i was gonna mix the next tune so i did, the first mix came and it was tight as a nun's private parts. the next track came in and i all off a sudden had the most amazin adrenalin rush and buzz i have ever felt in my life!! this was close to nearly beating sex...i never had a buzz like it ever in my life, after the first mix i was absoloutely lovin it. track selection i thought was good..had the girls dancing and some come up to talk and stuff,

earlier in my posts about confidence i thought that this was gonna be a big hurdle. i now feel i have conquered that hurdle and i am such a different person now, doing that infront of about 200 odd people was nerve racking but i am soo glad i did it...i got booked for the next one so it was all gravy...thanks so much for peoples help on whatever they have give me help on cause i know its been pretty messed up a bit ago!! i feel now through my djing i have a new lease of life!!! absoloutely love it too bits and now i dont wanna do nothing else in life!!

Once Again Thanks Everyone!!!

P.S DJING + GIRLS = AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:
    So then i was lucky enough (or was they lucky enough ;) lol) to grace the decks. before i went on i was nervous as hell so i had a quick short for the dutch courage, i went on got shown what the mixer was about and put my first record on the deck..i started off and thought i was gonna be sick but i got down to it, shook some hands with some peeps and started to get into the mix, i knew that the mix was in time so, started to do some chopping and what not.. the first track came to the cue point on where i was gonna mix the next tune so i did, the first mix came and it was tight as a nun's private parts. the next track came in and i all off a sudden had the most amazin adrenalin rush and buzz i have ever felt in my life!! this was close to nearly beating sex...i never had a buzz like it ever in my life, after the first mix i was absoloutely lovin it. track selection i thought was good..had the girls dancing and some come up to talk and stuff,

earlier in my posts about confidence i thought that this was gonna be a big hurdle. i now feel i have conquered that hurdle and i am such a different person now, doing that infront of about 200 odd people was nerve racking but i am soo glad i did it...i got booked for the next one so it was all gravy...thanks so much for peoples help on whatever they have give me help on cause i know its been pretty messed up a bit ago!! i feel now through my djing i have a new lease of life!!! absoloutely love it too bits and now i dont wanna do nothing else in life!!

Once Again Thanks Everyone!!!

P.S DJING + GIRLS = AWESOME!!!

Wicked mate, glad it went well for you...

I liked reading that, reminded me of my first time i DJed in a club... I was WELL lucky with it, got to go back to back with a DJ who got the set there... it was in a club that was rammed and cap is 1200!! Talk about pressure for the first time!
    Pretty much went exactly how yours did though and I fucking loved it!

Best feeling I had was winning a DJ comp in a local club to me... Got there and the monitors had blown!
    Alot of peoples sets were weak because of this... they tried to beat match using the dance floor speakers, but they were too far and the timing was off... there were a few people (including me) who did all the beat matching through the head phones... went well and was so wicked to win... best feeling in the world!

Keep up the good work mate :thumb:
  • Options
    Nice one! :D Glad it went well!
  • Options
    Search for Justin Sane. He's a poster on here who DJ's lots , is in New Zealand I believe.
  • Options
    I sent you a PM recently, you had a lot to say about the Swedish house mafia, I must admit I do too. But I'm curious. What else did you play in your set, then? ;)
  • Options
    my sets consist more of the swedish house mafia, i normally play stuff by the likes of benjamin bates, mylo, john dahlback, hernan cebello, daft punk, junior jack, tom novy, solu music to name a few. Steve Angello is my main inspiration cause hes made it big in like a short impact kind of thing along side ingrosso, axwell and prydz.

Mixes normally contain some chilled, big room and then dirty house. i use to be a massive trance man but kind of grew out of it. i started listening to trance in 1998/99 so u can imagine the impact it had when the likes of Lost Tribe, Solarstone, Veracocha, Gouryella, Moonman were knocking out the classics, i just felt trance got to generic sounding so got a lil bored mate and started playing house cause u can be so diverse and in such a short set.

The artists i am really into at the mo house wise and big ones to watch are the Houseplayerz, Christian Hoff, Goldie-Lox and Eddie Thoneick.

Like i say, i play to what i like and what fits well with the clubs policy, just woeful in my town people dont have a clue what decent music is! :banghead:
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:
    my sets consist more of the swedish house mafia, i normally play stuff by the likes of benjamin bates, mylo, john dahlback, hernan cebello, daft punk, junior jack, tom novy, solu music to name a few. Steve Angello is my main inspiration cause hes made it big in like a short impact kind of thing along side ingrosso, axwell and prydz.
    That's a diverse range of house, if nothing else! Frankly, that's a refreshing thing. Some people seem to just play stuff that sounds exactly the same as the last track. Nice to see you aren't making that mistake. ;)
    i started listening to trance in 1998/99 so u can imagine the impact it had when the likes of Lost Tribe, Solarstone, Veracocha, Gouryella, Moonman were knocking out the classics, i just felt trance got to generic sounding so got a lil bored mate and started playing house cause u can be so diverse and in such a short set.
    Too right. Nowadays, most trance music sounds very samey. With possible exceptions such as Above & Beyond, who always turn out the goods, there's little other trance out there that hasn't been done a million times already.
    The artists i am really into at the mo house wise and big ones to watch are the Houseplayerz, Christian Hoff, Goldie-Lox and Eddie Thoneick.
    I heard a track from Eddie Thoneick today collaborating with Kurd Maverick, can't remember what it was called just now, but liking it.
  • Options
    yeah the track u heard was most probably Eddie Thoneick Vs Kurd Maverick - Love Sensation....i got it absoloute belter of a tune!
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:
    yeah the track u heard was most probably Eddie Thoneick Vs Kurd Maverick - Love Sensation....i got it absoloute belter of a tune!
    Ah yes, I remember now!
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:
    Like i say, i play to what i like and what fits well with the clubs policy, just woeful in my town people dont have a clue what decent music is! :banghead:

I would agree with this in part... but at the same time, I think most genres of urban and dance music are very well done, and have there good and bad sides...

I have been through many Phazes with DJing... started with Garage, went onto house, then R&B / Hip Hop, now im completely mad about Drum & Bass...

Thing is, some people will say D&B is just banging annoying basslines which is under produced and sounds terrible... I think people that say that are being ignorant...
    It can range from some of the darkest music going to very soulful intelligent and uplifting tracks...

Im not quite sure what my point is... just fancyed a rant! :D

Im liking your selection on the house though, sounds good!