Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

am i being selfish?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My parents have separated (still married though) and by the sounds of things my dads been having dates and stuff with women. And one of them chasing him is pregnant (not his kid). Thing is...my dads really good with small kids so women with youngish kids are going to be interested. I'm sort of worried that he's going to get with someone who's going to basically expect him to be a dad to her kids. I mean, i wouldn't mind him being a sort of parent to them but i wouldn't like them calling him 'dad' or her to want him to spend more time with her and her kids because he's with her.
I'm probably being paranoid and selfish it's just crossed my mind that it might happen. I already said i wouldn't be too comfortable with step siblings that were really young....but i feel selfish cause i'm meant to accept it all and everything but i know i'll probably have issues.
Anyone been in a similar situation or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    of course you're going to be a bit jealous at the thought of you dad loving and nurturing someone else aside from you - it's only natural. but from the sounds of it you don't need to worry yet, like you say he's only been on a few dates and what not.
  • Options
    "am i being selfish?"
    yes you are
  • Options
    james, you're about as useful on these boards as a chocolate fireguard.

Ballerina, no it's not selfish, it is understandable but as lucifer says it's not like he's going to want to start being a father to someone else's kids any time soon.
  • Options
    of course it isnt selfish, i think your feelings are only natural, after all its not just your parents that the separation affects, its obviously going to affect you too. maybe you could try and talk to your dad and explain how you feel?
  • Options
    james, you're about as useful on these boards as a chocolate fireguard.

tasty though. :yum:

ballerina, its only natural, see how it plays out, if it starts developing then speak to your dad about it as im sure you're his most important priority :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it all of these people who have aswered you are right..............except for james :p
  • Options
    No-one has said it's right. Only that it's understandable, there's is a considerable difference.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No-one has said it's right. Only that it's understandable, there's is a considerable difference.

Eh?

If you are referring to the previous poster, she was saying that the people who have offered Ballerina advice are right, not that was Ballerina was feeling was right....

And to stick on topic, Ballerina hun, it really is a natural reaction.... my cousin recently confessed her plan for murdering her dads new fiancee in her sleep.... and even that didn't worry us. It's natural to want your mummy and your daddy just ofr yourself.

Personally, I don't know your family, but I'd assume that at your age (your 16 yes?) he's going to think of you more towards the young adult stage and keep you informed about anything like that, and include you when the time comes. I don't think he'll just rush into it either.

And no. Your not being selfish :)
  • Options
    Sorry, it was the complete lack of punctuation that confused me.
  • Options
    James88 wrote:
    "am i being selfish?"
    yes you are
    care to elaborate?
  • Options
    Technically he's right Ballerina, your behaviour is understandable, I've even exhibited it myself. But what your feelings are stemming from is a desire to keep your dad to yourself. You don't want him to marry another woman and have other kids, because you want him to belong to you and your family. It's a self-serving desire, and you know it, or you wouldn't have asked, because what you essentially want from us is justification.
  • Options
    It's true, it's understandable, but you just never know what will happen in the future. When my parents split my dad started seeing a woman who had a little girl a couple of years younger than me; I liked the woman and the little girl, but the thought of her having him full time and not me was just unbearable, to the point where I was actually glad when they stopped seeing each other. Well no-one said it was logical.

Then he met and married my stepmother, who has no children. They have not had any children together. But I hate her and the feeling is mutual. I would much rather he had married the woman with the child. I was worrying about the wrong thing, as it turned out, and I know I would've got over it, even as a 7 year old.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    It's true, it's understandable, but you just never know what will happen in the future. When my parents split my dad started seeing a woman who had a little girl a couple of years younger than me; I liked the woman and the little girl, but the thought of her having him full time and not me was just unbearable, to the point where I was actually glad when they stopped seeing each other. Well no-one said it was logical.

Then he met and married my stepmother, who has no children. They have not had any children together. But I hate her and the feeling is mutual. I would much rather he had married the woman with the child. I was worrying about the wrong thing, as it turned out, and I know I would've got over it, even as a 7 year old.
    does your dad know you hate each other? whys that?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    does your dad know you hate each other? whys that?

Oh yes, he knows alright. He sided with her at worst and just stayed out of it and let her carry on at best. I haven't seen either of them for years.

I don't know why she never liked me, but she just didn't. That's it really. I didn't hate her on sight, but I was afraid of her as a child and I hate her now for the way she treated me.
  • Options
    The point isn't to make you worry that he might meet someone you hate either, but to point out that whilst it's only natural to feel the way you do, there's no rela point worrying about it too much, because you just don't know what will happen. Just take each new situation as it comes and you'll be fine I'm sure.
  • Options
    Yes, you are being selfish, but being selfish isn't a bad thing.

What is important is how your balance your wants against those of others - if you were to try to stop him getting together with someone else just because of what you want, then that would be unreasonably selfish, which is a bad thing.

Unfortunately, if he does set up in another familly, he will see those children a lot more often, and will give them more attention, and you will feel he loves them more than you. BUT it is exceedingly unlikely he will stop loving you.

Sorry, this is not a happy answer.
  • Options
    I agree with BG. Selfish - yes of course, understandable - yes of course! You are growing into a young adult now, and you have plans to move on as well. It might feel like it's all happening really quickly but you will adjust and accept it.

If he sets up family with someone else- you will see him less, he will see them more it's true, but this will happen anyway as you go on to further education/ a job and move out. Remember that him creating another family will never take away your happy childhood.

Hopefully you will get on with his future family, think positively - you could gain more family to love and to love you... You will be a big sister to any future kids he has (by blood or otherwise), you know he's a good Dad, you can be a great big sister too, somone for these (as yet imaginary) new siblings to look up to!
  • Options
    I dont actually think its selfish at all for you to want your dad to yourself, i mean hes your dad! I wouldnt worry though, even if this relationship does take off and he does see more her kids it wont make him love you any less. You are his daughter, always have been and always will be.
  • Options
    my parents broke up when i was young, and my dad was middle-aged free and siongle for a while but got married when i was 16. having grown up without him around much i wasn't as close to him as you probably are to your dad, although he still tried to have a very father-daughter relationship with me. anyway, what my sister and i have found that we've developed more of a "friends" type relationship with our stepmum and her daughter is like a little cousin or something. its probably easier since i dont feel so close to my dad.
    dont stress- he'll always love you, and i'm sure if you take a mature attitude to anyone he gets involved with then they wont react like an evil stepmother character, i know my dad really regrets all the time he spent living abroad, which let me and my sister grow away from him, he still wants both of us to be part of his family, i cant imagine many men feeling any different about their children
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think this is very true.

But nobody's right all the time, mistakes are part of being human. If we didn't make mistakes we wouldn't grow. If we didn't feel selfishness, fear, hatred... Anything that isn't considered a desirable feeling then how will we ever know when we're truely happy?

My parents divorced when I was around ten years old and my mother has had two partners since then, one whom she is now happily married to. My father is still with his partner who he probably cheated on Mum with but that doesn't matter to me, his happiness is what matters even though sometimes it hurts. It took me such a long time to accept that, I used to be quite nasty to my Mother's partners because I didn't feel in control, it was change that I wasn't used to and therefor was outside my comfort zone.

If you are to live with your mother you will see your father less, but that will not stop you from loving him and he will love you just as much. Nothing can replace that because no matter what, he is still your father and you are still his daughter. If anything, the time you will spend together will be so much more worth it and you will have more to talk about.