Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Intensive Driving Courses...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what are people's opinions of them? I'm seriously contemplating booking an intensive course, in order to get my license before I start college.
Only, I don't know a lot about them or if they're recommended...

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    tis what i'd rather do if i could afford it :yes:

tis very expensive though :( would be like, an entire month's wages if i wanted to do it :(
  • Options
    I've not done one but from what my driving instructor said they are generally not a good idea, because you build up what you know over time and different road experiences and you can't really take all that in in a week.
  • Options
    but i can't be bothered with taking months to drive, i wanna do it now :crying:
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I've not done one but from what my driving instructor said they are generally not a good idea, because you build up what you know over time and different road experiences and you can't really take all that in in a week.

:yes: My instructor said the same thing. I suppose an intensive course would be alright for someone who has had lessons before but not really for someone who is starting from scratch. If you need to pass soon, you could have a couple of lessons a week and see how you get on doing it that way.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    but i can't be bothered with taking months to drive, i wanna do it now :crying:

I found that taking 2 lessons a week was quite a good way about it or even 3 if you want/can afford it, so you are driving quite a bit as so not to forget what your doing but it's not getting all crammed in and intense. If i hadn't of failed my first test it would have took me 4 months to be able to drive which i don't think is a vast amount of time. It was the waiting for new test dates 4 friggin times that made it take 9 blooming months :grump: which you can't even avid if you do an intense course and fail.

But eahc to their own and everything
  • Options
    I did an intensive driving course, cost about £700 :yeees:

It was great doing 3 hours of driving a day for two weeks as i'm one of those people that forgets things so starting off doing 1 or 2 a week would have been pointless for me. However i would like to point out that it doesn't mean you'll definitely pass at the end. After my intensive course it took me 6 more months of 2 lessons a week, and 3 tests before i passed.
  • Options
    I've already had 20+ hours of professional tuition (so I've got experience on the roads) but had to quit because of money and a severe lack of it.
    I'm happy to use my savings (I've been quoted around £400 for an intensive course) so it'd probably be easier to get it over in a week/two than to spend £44 a week on lessons for 6 months.

I dunno, I haven't decided yet. All I know is that I need my license before sept and an intensive course sounds ideal. I don't knooow!! aaaah. lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    It depends how you learn really. I think if its what you want then you should go for it.
  • Options
    I have heard good things about intensive courses. Quite a few friends and family have successfully done them. But as someone else has said, it really depends on how you learn. If you think that you could cope with it, go for it!
  • Options
    I only had about 2 months of lessons and had about 12 lessons in total i think, so its possible to do it in a small space of time

I think intensive courses are a bad idea, i was originally going to do one but im glad i didnt.
  • Options
    They're a good idea if you know how to drive, and learn easier by doing something constantly. I'm like a lot of people though, in that i lose concentration after a while and stop learning. You also need to trust your driving, because i know a lot of people just freak and don't know what to do when faced with a possible accident - something you pick up on more over time i think. I'd hate to have be faced with my first near miss without the security of an instructor and his pedals next to me.
  • Options
    I did an intensive course, 25 hours driving in total. I'd had lessons when I was 18 so I knew "how" to drive, I was just brushing up on what I'd already learnt.
  • Options
    thing is, if you start and you know nothing, it takes time to learn the basics. if you've mastered the basics and need to brush up then an intensive course should be ok. more like 5 hours though. :chin:
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing one of these in the summer. I've done driving tests before and failed. I just need to refresh what I've learnt really and then take my test again. I also need to do my theory test again though as its run out.
  • Options
    I think with some of them if you dont pass you get the course for free next time? or something like that. i dont think it would be agood idea for someone just learning but if you've learnt for a while already and can afford it i cant see why it would be a bad idea
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    That's my opinion of them too. Experience and knowledge is built up over time, and through practice. Trying to cram it all in might get you through a test, but you'll start to forget a lot quickly - just like any subject and exam that you cram for.
    To make things stick, they need to be learnt in small bite sized chunks. You need to learn one or two things every lesson, practice, then come back the next week and do them again. You'll find the lesson sticks. Try to learn a couple of dozen things a day, and you'll have forgotten them by the next week.

If you have the sort of mind that can learn a lot of things in one go - even if you only remember them for a few days, then it might work for you. But if you find that you need to digest things in smaller parts, then don't do it.
    Think what you're like with school exams. That'll give you an idea.
  • Options
    I did an intensive course, 25 hours driving in total. I'd had lessons when I was 18 so I knew "how" to drive, I was just brushing up on what I'd already learnt.
    Now, this is one time when it might work. When you've done plenty of road hours already, but just need that final bit of a push to get through a test quickly. Wouldn't work as well for a novice driver.
  • Options
    I took an intensive driving course of 20 hours (lessons were 3 hours each which sounds a lot but went quickly), and found it improved my driving a lot. I'd already had about 70 hours before, and 2 failed tests. I took one at the end of this intensive course and only just failed, getting eleven minors overall, with three minors in one category and no majors.
    So there is no guarantee you'll pass, and I would recommend it for people who have already had experience before. I don't think you can start learning the basics of driving on an intensive course, as too many hours of learning all new things will overload your brain.
    I have found driving to be my nightmare, (2 years, thousands of pounds, retaking theory test again as it ran out) and hope it all ends soon as I have a fourth test in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    why do you NEED your license before september? you're only going to college, sure they do buses.
  • Options
    It's better to have the ability to drive, even if not use it just yet. And it's easier to learn things when you'rer younger as you pick up things more quickly.
  • Options
    why do you NEED your license before september? you're only going to college, sure they do buses.
    MK is the worst for public transport, it's fucking ridiculously unreliable and totally user unfriendly. So, car it is.
    Plus, you can't walk anywhere here without it being on an underpass where you're likely to get mugged/raped or whatever.

Ilora x
  • Options
    well go for it if you want to. doesn't matter how you learn really, as long as you pass your test.