Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Driving Lessons

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I made this thread because I didn't want to hi-jack Ilora's. I really want to do driving lessons but I know NOTHING about cars. Most people when they start driving lessons seem to have a bit of background knowledge or the case being 'my dad let me back out of our drive way'.

I see people driving and I don't understand how they remember everything. I imagine myself driving and then panicing thinking 'Bugger WHAT DO I DO NEXT??' :nervous:

The other part is that I'm dyspraxic. So co-ordination and memory are pretty badd..I'm wondering whether doing the intense course would be better suited to me.. Oh and driving in an automatic rather than a manual..

Any advice or experiences from other people would be appreciated. Because I have noo clue. No one in my immediate family drives.

Comments

• Options
    all i can say is that if you take your test in an automatic car, you are not licenced to drive a manual (assuming you pass the test of course)
  • Options
    I started lessons knowing nothing about driving. As long as you have a patient instructor, you will pick stuff up quickly.

I would say to learn to drive in a manual, because if I am correct you can drive both if you pass in a manual, but if you pass in an automatic you can only drive that. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    all i can say is that if you take your test in an automatic car, you are not licenced to drive a manual (assuming you pass the test of course)

You got in there before me ;)
  • Options
    I can honestly say i knew absolutely nothing about cars, and had never even sat in the drivers seat let alone driven a car before my first lesson. If that makes you feel any better!
  • Options
    Thankyouuu! I'm not the only one.

Ah, so I am better off learning in a manual.
  • Options
    dont take an intesive course thingy. near enough everyone i know who has done that says they wished they had taken it slowly one lesson at a time because they would be able to remember more.
    Dont worry about not having any knowledge prior to driving - that is what you are having lessons for! to learn!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had no idea about driving either. And I was more than just a little nervous. But you begin with the easy stuff (or at least I did): A completely empty street, slow speed, you can take your time...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    dont take an intesive course thingy. near enough everyone i know who has done that says they wished they had taken it slowly one lesson at a time because they would be able to remember more.
    Dont worry about not having any knowledge prior to driving - that is what you are having lessons for! to learn!

I hope I don't get a scary instructor. Do you think its better to go with a big company like BSM or one of those little independant ones? I'm assuming its all luck of the draw.
  • Options
    I went with an independent one and it was fine, but i've known people go with ones like BSM or AA and hated it, others loved it. So yeah luck of the draw!
  • Options
    imo they're both about the same. Big companies like bsm might say they can guarentee you a pass but then so can any instructor if you stick with them long enough.
    The best option is to try out a driving instructor (ask if any friends or family will reccomend one that they were with because chances are they will be good if they are being reccomended). Not all people learn the same however so shop around a bit - if you're not completely happy with your instructor then find a new one until you are.
  • Options
    Thanks. At my college I say a notice that said 'Friendly, Patient Female Instructor' sounded perfect so I may have to go check that out.
  • Options
    i knew absolutely nothing about cars. at all. and i never practised outside lessons either. it took me ages to pass my test because i really was shit, had no concept of space and generally forgot everything as soon as i stepped out the car. but i got there in the end, as do most people. you just need to find the right instructor and not worry about how long its taking or think you cant do it because with lots of time, effort and practice you will be able to.
  • Options
    I knew a fair bit about cars and knew all my theory before I started learning the practical, but tbh I don't think that it made me learn to drive any faster. ('scuse the pun)... so don't worry about it, the tutors are there to teach you everything you need to know.

I agree with everyone - always choose Manual. And also explain to your instructor that you're dyspraxic before you actually book lessons, so that they can accomodate your condition (if it hinders your driving at all?) or pass you onto someone who knows more about it.

I personally wouldn't recommend BSM or AA driving schools - they charge the most amount of money for the same tuition you can get for a lot less money. But never choose an instructor purely because they're cheap or giving away free lessons.

Ilora x
  • Options
    i didnt know anything about cars when i started learning, i was only 17 but i think most instructors explain a bit about the car and how it works before they actually let you drive the thing! (well mines did) good luck :thumb: