Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Google

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey All,

I find this company interesting because there growth amazes me. I just wondered everyone elses opion is about Google? The company has a positive light with me, bringing many services to the Internet and opportunities in other parts of IT. The concept of an online library and a google browser which i think was talked about poses a very interesting question.

What does everyone else think about this now rapidly expanding company?

Comments

• Options
    their fantastic, excellent search service, excellent mail service, their the ultimate all in one, brilliant company, if google ran for government, id vote for them
  • Options
    you heard about the "googledrive" or "gdrive". and apparently they are working on Google OS. interesting stuff
  • Options
    ive heard og Gdrive yeh, the online storage thing, but the rumours of google computer were dismissed my a google spokesperson...

if there is a google OS i bet it'll be *nix based. best os there is.
  • Options
    I want to work for them. Their office is so darn pretty
  • Options
    i'd work for them jsut so i could say 'yeh i woke at google' even if i was there coffee boy, id still be a google employee f*ck yeh!
  • Options
    I :heart: google
  • Options
    loads and loads do, except ofcourse Steve Balmer
  • Options
    the internet wouldn't be the same without google!

been my homepage for a long time and will stay my homepage for years to come ;)
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    the internet wouldn't be the same without google!

been my homepage for a long time and will stay my homepage for years to come ;)

SNAP!
  • Options
    Yeah google is a cool company, doing things to push the technology envelope.

o Google Earth
    o Gmail
    o Picassa

Click here for a few of their other services
    http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/options/

But I fear they may end up another mega corporation screwing the little guy. If I recall, the motto of the founders was "dont be evil" or something similar. But as they submitted to Chinese censoring, and now we have to deal with the CIA wanting google search histories.

Remeber google is no longer a private company, they are listed on the stock exchange. Which basically means profits and shareholders become ever more important.

Anyway, I do think google is a cool company, and would love to work for them. The future is webservices. No need to buy Microsoft Office licences for every computer, just access to web-based stuff. Think Gmail, but being able to write essays, edit photos etc. All using online services.
  • Options
    Google were great. They offered a superb search engine - it beat all the competition hands-down. Hotbot, Altavista, Yahoo, Dogpile - they all went down. Yahoo ended up using Google for its backend whilst it sorted things out - the others have faded into insignificance.

Google isn't a patch on what it used to be. Sure, it now offers decent products over a wider market, but none of them offer the excellence that their main product - the search engine - did 5 years ago. By concentrating efforts on becoming bigger, I fear they have lost sight of what made them popular to start with.

I still use them - and cannot recommend anything better. But this does not mean I rate their product too highly these days - it can take several pages of sifting through shite before you find what you're looking for. A handful of years ago, it was nothing like this - results were bloody fast, accurate, and unpolluted with spam. It's a different story these days.

Anyone remember 3dfx? Atari? Commodore?

Anyone seen a hard drive manufactured by Quantum lately? There was a point where they offered the quietest and by far the most reliable drives. I don't think they even make them any more...

Anyway, I'm wandering. Again...
  • Options
    i saw a quantum 40gb i think at my mates, still in a palstic box, i wanted it but i couldnt have it. :(
  • Options
    They're certainly doing a good job overall for us ordinary folk.

Just the fact their very simply approach to adverts has made lots of other companies rethink and stop stupid flash ads constantly flying across the screen s a good thing.

I also find things like Google Earth useful for planning holidays and seeing where the hotels are and if the area looks far from the main attractions.

I would like to see a Google OS and office Suite. Although I seriously hate the format of their email system and the fact that you can't arrange things in folders but if you use it with an email client then that's OK.

However I cannot understand why they would go to the stockmarket though when they rake in $6 Billion a year in ads (whilst companies like Microsoft only take in about $1.5 Billion from onlines ads). I think having to answer to shareholders will ruin them in the long term.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Have you seen Google Mars yet?
  • Options
    ive seen google mars, its cool, not in colour though :( excluding the elevating colours