Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CD-Rewriter Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When ever i burn audio cd's they seem to skip and stuff, is this my cd rewriter or does anyone know whats up with it???

Comments

• Options
    try verifying the disc after burning, i know nero can do this, check the players laser is clean too and not dusty.
  • Options
    where do i go to check to see if the burners laser is dirty?? how do i clean this??
  • Options
    you can buy a CD drive cleaning kit from pc word or somewhere, i saw them in easons aswell.
  • Options
    CD drive cleaning kit will probably set you back maybe £8 (just a guess), I'd just go and buy a brand new top of the range cd burner for £15

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=17280491892&action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=123

When you are burning a cd, there should be a little tick box that says "Varify after burning". This will compare the cd you burnt to the files on your computer, and will let you know if they do not macth (ie a problem with your cd drive or the cd it self).

If it passes, then its probably the cdplayer you are using to listen to it that is borked.
  • Options
    try burning them at a slower speed, if your computer is getting on abit
  • Options
    The latest versions of Nero Burning Rom cause audio cd/mp3 cd skipping. Downgrade to an older version.
  • Options
    And also make sure there aren't other applications eating up all the CPU while you burn the CD as that can interfere with a burn.
  • Options
    if your cdrw drive shares an IDE channel with another drive, try not to use both drives at once.
  • Options
    My burner is now 4 or 5 years old - some discs appear to burn successfully, yet yield errors when being read. Burning at a slower speed almost always helps - 4x is around the slowest I can go.

If I'm having problems reading a CD, then I try to read it in my DVD-ROM. If that fails, I bung it back in the CD writer and limit reading to 1x - this always works for me.

After 3 years or so, it'll be less problematic to just replace it. As said before, they're cheaper to replace than suffer problems with :).
  • Options
    yeh i burnt a disc there and it went fine at 52x but it failed when i tried to use it, i have about 6 clay-cd pigeons now :(
  • Options
    I can't see where it says what make of CD-R you are using?

CD ROM's can be made from any number of dyes, and some are better then others, I got some CD's from Office World that made the most arwful scratching sound when played in a normal CD player and totally refused to work in my HP Laptop - the company even sent me free CD's to test for them - make was called PINE.
  • Options
    Yeah, quality cds are worth trying to find.

Are you using "disc at once" recording method to remove gaps?

Recording at a slower speed will generally produce better results.