Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Labour and the rich friends loans

Sleaze is brewing around New Labour's neck again, the smell of the final Major years is in the air. So, what's this about now? Labour have been accepting loans of millions of pounds from their rich friends to bankroll their General Election campaign. Why didn't they accept these huge donations? Why, only because they'd have to declare what their cronies were giving them!

Labour's treasurer, Jack Dromey has said he didn't know they'd done this. His denial just leaves you with the impression he's lying or he's utterly incompetent and deserves to be sacked. :: Details ::

Meantime, the Labour Party, having been caught in sleaze yet again says it will in future reveal their names, but not the past lenders. :: Details ::

Sorry Tony, not good enough. You've been caught up again. What is it about this lot and money? Hedge funds, tax avoidance schemes, offshore accounts and now loans. Are this lot so out of touch?

Over to you on this latest quagmire...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so fuckin what?? thats m.p's for you....thought that was pretty normal practice anyway?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    ...thought that was pretty normal practice anyway?

It is.

Politics and scandals? NEVER!111one!

Erm... yeah... well, it's Gordons turn soon!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Erm... yeah... well, it's Gordons turn soon!
    I'm sure our hip and groovy Chancellor can change things. I can just see it now... :p

"Yo yo, MC Brown here taking over dis joint! I is living in number 10 now, and I is da man! I is da man, baby!"
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm sure our hip and groovy Chancellor can change things. I can just see it now... :p

"Yo yo, MC Brown here taking over dis joint! I is living in number 10 now, and I is da man! I is da man, baby!"
    i'm sure he doesnt talk like that....... :)
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i'm sure he doesnt talk like that....... :)
    Not yet, but just you wait. First it was wearing pink shirts. Next, he'll be talking rap. Well, he does it already, only with a silent C in front of it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:

"Pimp ma jag out baby, bling to da max! Holla! Drop da bomb!"

Oh dear. Poor Government jags :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Not yet, but just you wait. First it was wearing pink shirts. Next, he'll be talking rap. Well, he does it already, only with a silent C in front of it.
    mmm.. :chin:
  • Options
    mmmm love the smell of sleezy politicians gett'n grilled.
  • Options
    mmmm love the smell of sleezy politicians gett'n grilled.

Except they wont, people expect the worst from politics so anything better than that goes un-noticed.

This wont lead to Tony going because people dont care.
  • Options
    How much grubbier do 'New Labour' have to get before that 'whiter than white' promise looks a shade dishonest? Sorry, of course, we are talking about politicians, aren't we? :blush:
  • Options
    It's now emerged they've taken £14million worth of loans. I wonder...
  • Options
    Quite disgraceful, really, even if technically legal.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Quite disgraceful, really, even if technically legal.
    Agreed. It begs the question - is there anything Labour WON'T do for money?
  • Options
    Nothing could top Jonathan Aitken trying to get his own daughter to perjure herself to save his skin...
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Sleaze is brewing around New Labour's neck again, the smell of the final Major years is in the air.
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    Nothing could top Jonathan Aitken trying to get his own daughter to perjure herself to save his skin...
    I'm sure that New Labour, in its current "Sleaze Mode" could come up with something else. The next sleaze scandal is almost certainly on its way...
  • Options
    Matrix Churchill
    Westminster gerrymandering
    Geoffrey Archer
    Cash for questions

etc. etc.

crap as NL are they still have a way to go to reach the Champions League of Sleaze level of the Tories.
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    Matrix Churchill
    Westminster gerrymandering
    Geoffrey Archer
    Cash for questions
    etc. etc.

crap as NL are they still have a way to go to reach the Champions League of Sleaze level of the Tories.
    Plenty of sleaze from New Labour too...

Bernie Ecclestone
    The Hinduja Brothers
    Peter Mandelson
    Geoffrey Robinson
    Peter Mandelson (again!)
    Keith Vaz
    The Millennium Dome
    Cheriegate
    David Blunkett
    Lord "Smallpox" Drayson
    David Blunkett (again!)
    Tessa Jowell and hubby
    Cash for peerages scandal

Feel free to add onto the list...
  • Options
    Point taken...but all those are slightly different in scale to conspiring to put people in prison to cover their own arses or subverting the electoral process...

(I just know that klintock is going to pull me up on the above but oh well..hahaha)
  • Options
    I don't think comparing the sleeziness of both governments is much of a credit to either. That the tories were pretty corrupt towards the end is not excuse for Labour to go down the same road.

They might go to extra lenghts to ensure they remain within an inch of the law sometimes (though I'm not sure this is such a commendable thing come to think of it), but as time passes the Labour government is starting to accumulate his own significant share of dodgidness.

It's certainly time for purge at the top. When Tony goes- and not a second too soon- many more should follow.
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    Point taken...but all those are slightly different in scale to conspiring to put people in prison to cover their own arses or subverting the electoral process...
    Subverting the electoral process? Ah yes, I remember another one now! What about the way ministers refused to bring in any safeguards to make sure postal voting wasn't open to abuse? What about the way money and jobs are being moved north to Labour voting constituencies? It's a blatant attempt to make sure people vote Labour, due to the belief they'd be sacked if the Tories ever won power. The truth is, they wouldn't be. Under Dave Cameron's woolly, cuddly Tories, their jobs as smoking cessation officers, five-a-day co-ordinators and various other assorted non-jobs, will be entirely safe.