Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flute

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone here play the flute? i've recently started and id like to know where i can get some good starting tutorials online if possible, ive already applied for lessons but anything i can find at home? im a total begginner..

Comments

• Options
    ah excellent! i got one called 8notes.com it hada fingering chart and stuff, one thing i dont get though is the 'Gizmo-key' appears to not be present on my flute =/
    also my flute a little sharp, my friend say to put the mouth piece out a bit to lengthen it to make it more antural, is this true? it looks kinda horrible if it is because its silver palted and its made of brass ( i think ) so it gets this brass line :(

i'll get some pics of my flute for this missing key business
  • Options
    Er. I've tried, it's hard! It takes some people ages just to get a note out of the thing! Don't let that discourage you though! :p

I wouldn't suggest an online tutorial, even if you could find one (tryed google?), It'd probably be best to go to a music shop and pick up a begginers book/guide or order one online.
  • Options
    oh i can make a note(s) about 2 :D A and D or and G# but nothing lower than that :p im getting a book once i know what book my tutor will be teaching from and the site i found seems good, its jsut these lower notes i cant make...
  • Options
    Learn as You Play is where it's at. Boosey and Hawkes, should still be in print. And, yeah, if it's sharp pull the headjoint out.
  • Options
    alright, what about this missing key? its labbeled with a german ess-zet thingy on the chart, but i dont have it...
  • Options
    Could be the lower b footjoint key

Can you link to a fingering chart that shows it?
  • Options
  • Options
    That's the lower B key, you only get that on certain foot-joints, don't worry.
  • Options
    ahh im also 'missing' this
    http://www.jbwflutes.com/Photos/BuyingAFlute/CSharpTrillKey.jpg
    i guess iton only on certain mian joints or whatever its called?

edit:

see here http://www.8notes.com/flute/fingering/default.asp?note=11
    where it says
    'fingering'
    T 12–|–––Eb and then to the right the key diagram,

is T jsut my thumb on the flute? or the Bb key, because A doesnt paly wioth the Bb key so i dont understand this T...
  • Options
    No, the Eb key is the one to the far left of the foot joint. Towards the body. And T is the big thumb key, the Bb key is the little one towards the top of the head.
  • Options
    ohhhhhh my big thumb key has 2 keys on it, they make very little difference also on the flutes body, the first 2 keys which are tiny, are the both the same? they both go down no matter which is pressed, is that normal?