Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fluoxetine and indigestion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ugh, has anyone else had really bad indigestion when taking fluoxetine? I've had it for about 5 days now, and it's really starting to bug me. I've been taking fluoxetine for about 4 weeks now, so I don't understand why this is suddenly starting. It's horrible, the back of my throat just feels really raw and acidy, and if I lie down I feel awful, like I'm going to be sick. And, sorry to be a bit graphic, but I feel like I need to burp ALL the time, but can't very often, which just feels horrible! I've hardly been eating this last few days cos I feel so weird, not really been eating much 'til teatime.

I really want to give the fluoxetine more of a chance, cos if I don't then I can say goodbye to the idea of going back to France next week. Anyone else had the same problems taking this or other anti-depressants? If so, did anything help?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like heartburn, try Gaviscon or Rennies or something see if that helps, if not see ya gp.

Have a look in the leaflet-id imagine indigestion/heatburn is a possible side-effect but sont know why now after 4 weeks.
  • Options
    yeah i suffered too, i just bought lots of rennie.
  • Options
    hey there

my boyf takes 60mg fluoxetine daily and has the same thing. He said the best thing to do if you can face it is to take your tablet with an alkaline drink such as some milk or even one of those actimel type things, this should help settle the heartburn. If you can't manage that then make ure you take the tablet standing up and try and drink a full glass of water with it to make sure you're swallowing it properly.

HTH a bit
    take care
    Love Cavegirl
    xx
  • Options
    cavegirl wrote:
    He said the best thing to do if you can face it is to take your tablet with an alkaline drink such as some milk or even one of those actimel type things, this should help settle the heartburn. If you can't manage that then make ure you take the tablet standing up and try and drink a full glass of water with it to make sure you're swallowing it properly.

That's really helpful, thankyou :) I am generally quite lazy when taking tablets, I quite often take them without water, or with just a sip or two of water, so I'll change that! I'll definitely try the milk idea as well, cos milk is one of the few things that I still feel like having, I :heart: it
  • Options
    Just realised that looks like I'm saying the other replies weren't helpful, which isn't what I meant at all, sowwy :) I've tried gaviscon for the last few days which doesn't seem to be having much effect, but might try rennies to see if that's any different
  • Options
    Fluoxetine did the job really well on me but I also got bad stomach probs, before developing a rash a realising I'm severely allergic to it, so don't forget to keep an eye on the document you got with the pills and go to the doc about anything it says is unusual. It might work wonders for your mood but if it makes you really ill it's not worth it.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    don't forget to keep an eye on the document you got with the pills and go to the doc about anything it says is unusual. It might work wonders for your mood but if it makes you really ill it's not worth it.

Thanks, I will do. I've had stomach issues with other medications (anti-inflammatories), so just hoping this isn't another drug that I can't tolerate. Mind you, good job I did have stomach problems last time, it was when I took Vioxx, which they later found out could lead to all kinds of problems if taken long term. Luckily I was violently sick after only a few days of taking it ;)

Anyways, I'll see how tomorrow goes, and if I'm still having problems I'll give my g.p a ring. Thankyou :)