Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MPs getting jittery about Trident

There are some things which are always guaranteed to get Labour MPs excited. Hedge funds, offshore accounts, tax avoidance schemes... no wait, that's the wrong story... I'm talking about the nuclear weapons arsenal. Ah yes, a favourite topic on the Left, and increasingly a very worrying topic with what's going on in Iran. Aunty BBC reports: "The Commons defence committee is examining whether the UK should replace its Trident weapons system, which is expected to be obsolete by 2020. It is taking evidence from a range of experts about the type of threat the UK might face in 20 years' time."

Oh yes, and Tony Blair says he wants the "fullest debate" before any decision is taken. Which roughly translates as Blairspeak for "I've already made the decision that we're going to replace it with my US cronies, so to hell with what anyone else thinks". >> Details >>

Maybe the UK needs to replace its weapons arsenal. But there are two big problems. The first is the cost - around £20bn, say military estimates. Doesn't Britain have better things to spend that on right now? (they'll probably spend it on changing our road signs to kilometres as that Kinnock wally suggested a few weeks ago) And the second is the message it gives. How can we turn to Iran and say "you must not build nuclear weapons" when we're replacing ours? Won't we look like total hypocrites?

Does the UK need to replace its nuclear weapons? Do we need them to protect ourselves in the future? Or should the UK take a stand against nuclear arnament?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when we have ravaged the earth ...no resources left ...the soil damaged beyond foreseeable repair ...the oceans are devoid of life and full of pollutants ...the air we breath and the little drinkable water left is rancid ...then those with nukes will be able to force those without to give up the last few crumbs they have left left.
    meaning those with nukes get to live a few weeks ...maybe months longer ...
    so yes ...we realy need to spend those billions ...

or are we going to fight arabic heroes who ride white horses through the mountains and deserts with them?
    i have absolutey no idea why this country needs to spend that much money on such weapons.
  • Options
    I'd get new ones.

Unless we can find something else with quite as much punch.
  • Options
    I'd get new ones.

why ...
  • Options
    when we have ravaged the earth ...no resources left ...the soil damaged beyond foreseeable repair ...the oceans are devoid of life and full of pollutants ...the air we breath and the little drinkable water left is rancid ...

Been watching soilent green?
  • Options
    why ...

Resource wars!
  • Options
    Rolly, they have to spend it because the big defense contractors are lining their pockets and financing their retirements. Nevermind that the money being spent is better spent on improving the conditions for the citizenry from whom it was extorted in the first place (actually mortgaged is more appropriate since its nothing but debt that your grandchildren will still be saddled with they reach adulthood).
  • Options
    Resource wars!
    well thats what i was suggesting about the last few crumbs.
    it enables those who have ...to live a few weeks or months longer ...at such a cost.
  • Options
    Rolly, they have to spend it because the big defense contractors are are basicaly in charge ...same as it ever was.).
  • Options
    Them and the international banking cartels of course ;)
  • Options
    What point there is for Britain to retain its nuclear deterrent?

Seriously?
  • Options
    Because the french have it ;)
  • Options
    Fuck the French, Fuck them up their stupid asses!

But seriously, i am of the school of thought that a country needs to be able to defend itself and during the Cold War, from Britains point of view, having nuclear weapons was not a benefit as it added to the chance of the end of the world, but it did grant Britian a chance to throw some weight around. Such as having a perminant member position on the UNSC and so forth.

But i can not see much point in spending on a Nuclear arsenal now. I mean, Iran will have their reactors bombed before they ever develop nuclear capacity, and we are not going to nuke Iran anyway. India and Pakistan and North Korea already have nukes so not much chance of doing anything there. So, if you want weapons, why not spend on conventional weapons, recruiting troops, building aircraft, carriers, tanks, guns, etc. Or, if you dont want weapons, spend on hospitals schools, reducing teen pregnancy, cheaper petrol, cheaper public transport and the like. Seems silly to me the current plans.
  • Options
    I'd imagine the biggest nuclear threat to Britain today or in the future (however microscopic it might be) would come from terrorists, not from nation states.

Since you cannot nuke terrorists (where do you drop the bombs, exactly?) the argument for a nuclear deterrent is very weak in the present circumstances.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What point there is for Britain to retain its nuclear deterrent?

Seriously?

To go back to NQA saying the French have it – well yeah; if India, China, Pakistan, Russia and whoever has got hold of some of the old Soviet stuff have it Britain needs it. We don’t particularly need the nuclear deterrent today – but will we in 10 years time? 25 years? If Iran got hold of a nuclear weapon would you be happy about Britain being nuclear free? It’s not about actually needing the weapon mostly, it’s about it elevating our position I guess - strengthening it with the knowledge that there is a nuclear deterrent there. And we could offset much of the cost by cancelling our EU membership – saving us billions of pounds.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd imagine the biggest nuclear threat to Britain today or in the future (however microscopic it might be) would come from terrorists, not from nation states.

Since you cannot nuke terrorists (where do you drop the bombs, exactly?) the argument for a nuclear deterrent is very weak in the present circumstances.

Present circumstances have a habit of becoming past circumstances.
  • Options
    If having a nuclear deterrent is a good defence against Iran, then why do you complain about Iran getting nukes when we're discussing Israel? Seeing as the Israelis possess an arsenal of up to 200 thermonuclear weapons, they are absolutely safe from Iran, right?

No, I would not be concerned about Iran getting their own nuke even if Britain had got rid of theirs. By far the most efficient form of defence is having a fair and balanced foreign policy in place.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    By far the most efficient form of defence is having a fair and balanced foreign policy in place.

Honestly do you believe that? If so I can sell you a map to Blackbeard's treasure at a cut price rate.

To be honest perhaps there is hypocrisy between me wanting the UK to have nuclear weapons for our defence and not wanting Iran to have them for exactly the same reason. But I'd rather be a hypocrite that see Tel Aviv (or London) be either a nuclear wasteland or blackmailed into submission.
  • Options
    I'd say Iran is infinitely more in danger of being either a nuclear wasteland or be blackmailed into submission (i.e. bombed to fuck and illegally invaded by a certain superpower) than London or Tel Aviv.

As it turned out the other day London had provided Israel with plutonium that helped them developed their bomb. This was disclosed in the same week as the chimp signed a new nuclear deal with India and allowed them to keep their newly acquired nukes without so much as a word of protest.

And we have the fucking cheek to tell other nations whether they can develop their own nukes?

Why don't we make that judgement based on actions, not words, which is what really counts?

By happy coincidence the US, Britain and Israel have illegally invaded and/or bombed and astonishing number of sovereign nations in the last 4 decades or so.

Iran's count, in the meantime, is zero.

If there was ever a need of forcefully removing a nuclear arsenal from a nation, it's not the likes of Iran we should be looking at- it's rather closer to home.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    To be honest perhaps there is hypocrisy between me wanting the UK to have nuclear weapons for our defence and not wanting Iran to have them for exactly the same reason. But I'd rather be a hypocrite that see Tel Aviv (or London) be either a nuclear wasteland or blackmailed into submission.

Yes.

It's a bugger they were invented, but seeing as they have been, I'd rather this country have them than not. Hypocritical or not.
  • Options
    these things aint going away so ...they aint much use in war but politicaly it gives you some clout.
    i think we should clean and polish the old ones a bit more often.
    bit of WD40 here and there and maybe a regular coat of hammerite.

that way we save a mint and should india or america ever threaten to nuke us ...we might not be able to win but we sure as hell can burn plenty of them.
  • Options
    what realy worries me is the attitude of ...well if we've got them ...iran should be ...etc etc.
    the reason israel and america and france etc ...have them in proffusion is ...
    cos we have been running the show. simple innit.
    we would like to maintain our lifestyle at the cost of ...theres.

thats how life unfolds.
    if we give them up and tell everyone we love them ...we are even throwing our weapons into the sea cos we believe ...blahhhhh.

i'm amazed at how many obviously inteligent people in here ...believe that such things can happen ...be fashioned. they realy can't you know.
  • Options
    i think we should clean and polish the old ones a bit more often.
    bit of WD40 here and there and maybe a regular coat of hammerite.

And some gaffer tape on the bits people don't notice.
  • Options
    Is there a shelf Life for nukes??
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Is there a shelf Life for nukes??
    as in ...a use by date! :shocking:
  • Options
    aye!!!

Coz I didn't think there would be but then if there isn't, then why are the on about overhaulling the defense sytem?? Do they just mean the deployment mechanics and not the missiles themselves??
  • Options
    Yes, as I understand it warheads can easily degrade and have to be maintained very well.

Submarines themselves will have a working life maximum cycle limit, beyond which it would be unsafe to continue to use them. Though that's probably measured in decades not years.

I'm not sure about the missiles themselves but I would imagine they will need upgrading soon too. They're getting quite old by now.
  • Options
    Damn.

Not good.

Oh well, the old weapons spring clean time then. Fair enough.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Submarines themselves will have a working life maximum cycle limit, beyond which it would be unsafe to continue to use them. Though that's probably measured in decades not years.
    Remember what happened with that Russian nuclear submarine a few years ago? Just shows what can go wrong. Over 100 men lost their lives. :(