Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fillings needed or not???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive had the same dentist all my life+he's been fine. Never really liked the dentist, always had visions of him slipping when he's scraping my teeth with that metal thing+cutting my gum opn, but al in all it was bearable!
However, last month i went for my yearly check-up (it was actually 10months after my last one, and in that 1 i was told my teeth were "perfect")
For this most recent check-up i got told that i was seeing a different dentist+my original guy had retired.
So, she was forgein+i could barely understand her+i felt really anxious. she then cut my gum open, which hut too fook!
And then she said i needed 8 fillings.
My question is that do i really need them?? i cant see any holes, ive had no pain+ive not changed my eating/tooth care habits. 10 months ago they were perfect+now im being told i nedd £110 worth of treatement, which is money i simply do not have!
Any ideas? sorry to make this so long!

Comments

• Options
    I would be inclined to say that your dentist is not going to recommend 8 fillings if they are not necessary...dentists do seem to try and get extra money off you by polishing your teeth etc, but i think saying you need 8 fillings would be an extreme way of getting a bit of extra cash! If you feel that you dont need those feelings, and have no probs, why not try and get a second opinion?
  • Options
    eight fillings sounds like a LOT of decay for a year! I have bad teeth and often need fillings, so unless your old dentist was a pottering old fool- I would be inclined to get a second opinion. (although, I'm not sure how this works on the NHS if that's how you're treated?)
  • Options
    I would be shocked if you needed 8 fillings and didn't know it

I'd see someone else and see what they say as well - drilling weakens your teeth, and do you really want a mouth full of silver fillings.
  • Options
    I would be shocked if you needed 8 fillings and didn't know it

I'd see someone else and see what they say as well - drilling weakens your teeth, and do you really want a mouth full of silver fillings.

Very rarely give you silver fillings anymore, maybe on the NHS but not private, at least from my experience.

Go to another dentist and see what they think if you're concerned.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Very rarely give you silver fillings anymore, maybe on the NHS but not private, at least from my experience.

Go to another dentist and see what they think if you're concerned.

Last time I went to a dentist in the UK I was told £6 each for silver £50 each for white - no private dentist would be dumb enough to take £6 when in the same amount of time they can earn £50

Best dentist I saw was when I was on holiday in India, unlike my dentist in the UK he took his time and got everything perfect, he even matched up the colour of my tooth so it was exactly the same - had 3 fillings done in the UK for £150 - had two much better fillings done in India for about £9 - I have some silver fillings I want changed to white eventually and the price difference and standard of work I got when abroad means I could have a free holiday thrown into the bargain by going abroad.