Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO: lactose intolerant people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this might be a ridiculous question, but if you are intolerant to lactose, do all things with lactose in affect you in the same way?

i suspect i might have issues with it, although possibly not a full blown intolerance, but while stuff like milk, ice cream and even chocolate send me sprinting for the lav, yoghurt and most types of cheese don't have a massive effect (only wee bit of bloating, but that could be from anything).

i'm sure that it's something i'm eating that causes my stomach probs rather than something going on in my body, but for the life of me i can't figure out what it is.

Comments

• Options
    For me personally: yes - I can't have anything at all with milk in.
  • Options
    just been educating myself via the tinternet.

i didn't know that 70% of the world's population are lactose intolerant. every day's a school day :cool:
  • Options
    Wow, thats quite impressive. So the tolerant ones are the odd ones out. Maybe they should change it so your called lactose tolerant if you can.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Wow, thats quite impressive. So the tolerant ones are the odd ones out. Maybe they should change it so your called lactose tolerant if you can.

But if you're tolerant to something, you're able to have it without any side effects. (stomache ache, feeling sweaty, etc)

Kaffrin - may I ask why are you interested in this?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But if you're tolerant to something, you're able to have it without any side effects. (stomache ache, feeling sweaty, etc)

I know, my post just doesn't make much sense I guess.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Kaffrin said in her first post she thinks she may be lactose intolerant.... :chin:

I found the BEST chocolate bar the other day in Holland and Barratt - dairy free chocolate. It's GORGEOUS and tastes exactly like chocolate, but has no dairy in it whatsoever. Suitable for vegans apparently. Can't remember what make it is though :chin:

Ilora x
  • Options
    I found the BEST chocolate bar the other day in Holland and Barratt - dairy free chocolate. It's GORGEOUS and tastes exactly like chocolate, but has no dairy in it whatsoever. Suitable for vegans apparently. Can't remember what make it is though :chin:

Ilora x

If you find out the name please tell me - I'm fed up not being able to eat chocolate and everyone else rubbing it in...
  • Options
    I have a genuine allergy to dairy products, not an intolerance, and I cannot eat ANYTHING with a little milk in it.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    As a sufferer too, I find that I can still eat plain and dark choc without any problems. I find that I get symptoms from all dairy products (as well as gluten and wheat), but different things effect me in different ways, eg, excema, sore stomach, vomting, bloating, and stomach pains.

I can't have plain chocolate and don't like dark chocolate.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If you find out the name please tell me - I'm fed up not being able to eat chocolate and everyone else rubbing it in...
    It's This one and you can get it from Holland and Barretts :thumb: and it's simply GORGEOUS. Don't know if they do normal "milk chocolate" flavour though.
    The dairy-free chocolate, called Dairy FREE, comes as Tangerine or Rice Crackle. Ingredients are cane sugar, cocoa butter & mass, soya flour, soya lecithin, natural flavouring and, in the Rice Crackle, puffed rice.
    We found the Tangerine a little bit sickly, but the Rice Crackle went down very well. Both taste quite ‘milky’ without the bitterness which usually accompanies soya flour. The chocolate bars weigh in at 50g each and cost 79p from Sainsbury, Tesco, Waitrose and Morrison.
    from foodsmatter.com.

Ilora x
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think it depends really. Some people are completely lactose intolerant where they cannot have any dairy at all. My little cousin is like this. She gets very ill with even a whiff of dairy. However, there are scales as the hubby is slightly lactose intolerant as he gets ill when he has milk or creamy ice cream but is fine with a yoghurt or cheese. In small doses he is fine, but you can have too much of a good thing.
  • Options
    Today was fun - for at least the third time in the last 7 months or so, I've had to explain to at least 4 people what being lactose intolerant means...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sofie wrote:
    Today was fun - for at least the third time in the last 7 months or so, I've had to explain to at least 4 people what being lactose intolerant means...

Surely it's in the title ... how can people *not* get what it means?
  • Options
    Surely it's in the title ... how can people *not* get what it means?

Some people I know just don't understand it. Someone asked me today how it's possible for me to have cereal, I told him that I use soya milk - he then asked me how I can have that (nothing to do with taste though) if it's milk... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think it depends really. Some people are completely lactose intolerant where they cannot have any dairy at all. My little cousin is like this. She gets very ill with even a whiff of dairy. However, there are scales as the hubby is slightly lactose intolerant as he gets ill when he has milk or creamy ice cream but is fine with a yoghurt or cheese. In small doses he is fine, but you can have too much of a good thing.

aye, i have been looking into it further. the internet is fab, at times.

because it's caused by a lack of lactase (enzyme? something similar) you can either make some lactase, but not enough, and thus be able to deal with a wee bit of dairy, but not loads (like mist or i guess, me) or you can just big fat not have any (like your wee cousin).

aparently developing an intolerance to lactose as you age is the normal state, but most europeans and north americans have an evolutionary mutation that means they can happily eat lactose-containing foods all their lives. and it's only in europe and north america that intolerance is even considered a problem. everywhere else, it's just what happens to people as they grow up.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    aye, i have been looking into it further. the internet is fab, at times.

because it's caused by a lack of lactase (enzyme? something similar) you can either make some lactase, but not enough, and thus be able to deal with a wee bit of dairy, but not loads (like mist or i guess, me) or you can just big fat not have any (like your wee cousin).

This is what I heard somewhere as well. And yes, lactase is an enzyme.
  • Options
    If you are lactose intolerant, you may be able to eat aged cheese and yogurt because they have lower levels of the milk sugar lactose which is broken down by our intestinal enzyme lactase (what you are either missing or underproducing). Both aged cheese and yogurt are derived from “good” bacteria – as they consume the lactose in milk for energy, they convert it to lactic acid which is easier for us to digest.

A milk allergy is a sensitivity to milk protein which is present in all forms of the products. Small amounts might be tolerated, but it's best not to mess with your immune system too much or too often! Your body perceives the proteins as foreign invaders that need to be destroyed.

I went through an intolerance following a pregnancy – it’s a bit rough for a social life. I always carried rice milk around so I wouldn’t miss out with coffee and such. It’s a bit thin, but it's easier to carry around as compared to soy as it isn't prone to spoiling (no protein).

Hang in there! There are plenty of viable substitutes on the market.