Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm an anxious guy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im very anxious. I get bouts of anxiety with physical symptoms a lot, and cos I've been under a bit of stress recently, its got a bit worse. My appaetite is gone and ive got diahhreea or however you spell it, and so from what ive read i need to keep drinking. But i keep getting these quivers where i tremble kind of. I get chest pains, not serious though - NHS direct says ring 999 but i think thats excessive lol :p. Its like a tightness and it feels like an effort to breathe, but i can breathe normally. just feels difficult. like, imagine someone sitting on your chest or something...

ive suffered from anxiety for ages. just the recent stress has given me a few symptoms and brought out others. wondered what help there was. cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    Lots of water and sensible food should help settle a bad tummy. Jacket potatoes, toast, bread, etc.

Best thing you can do is try and not let things get to you too much. Of course, stuff will still bother you, but you have to figure out for yourself whether or not it is worth getting stressed out over :).

Wrong time of year to ride a motorbike, and doubly bad if you're suffering from anxiety. Start doubting your judgement and bad things happen. Be careful out there mate :).
  • Options
    well, loss of fluid usually goes hand in hand with loss of/ imbalance in electrolites- could explain the shaking. your local chemist will have rehydration powders for babies and grannies with these in. you could also eat a banana and drink a lucozade. If nhs direct recommend 999, at least get yourself seen to though eh- maybe someone could drive you to the walk-in doctors clinic if you're against the idea of AnE?
  • Options
    Maybe you should go the doctors?

I went the doctors for anxiety last year and they ended up prescribing me some antidepressants temporarily (I stopped using them after a couple of months) but yeah, I found they helped at the time and I didn't stress all the time like I used to.

Obviously though, if you don't want to go on medication thats not an option.

Have you tried taking calms? Apparently they are good for stress.
  • Options
    go to the docs, i went when i was stressed and got put on beta blockers...they're really good
  • Options
    I get chest pains, not serious though - NHS direct says ring 999 but i think thats excessive lol :p. Its like a tightness and it feels like an effort to breathe, but i can breathe normally. just feels difficult. like, imagine someone sitting on your chest or something...

I was getting a really sore chest along with anxiety before I went to my docs about a month ago. She said the likely explanantion is stress. Obviously it could be something else, but I know stress and anxiety can give you a tight chest. Mine felt horrible, I couldn't take big breaths, and it felt really achey, but my breathing was fine when she listened to my chest. If I were you I'd go and see your gp, even if only to check that you're ok. And ask what you can do about the anxiety, if it's giving you physical symptoms like that you really should try and do something about it.
  • Options
    I went before and he refered me to a counselor and it just seemed a bit of a faff. This was about a year ago though, after my dad died, so maybe he thought I had post traumatic stress. I always get anxious though, moreso when im stressed, and it does sometimes get to the stage where im worrying about worrying, which is where i start to get the physical symptoms. My girlfriend is really good at calming me down though, but this past week because ive been stressed ive been so clingy to her as shes been my only escape. Ive moaned every time she's had to go lol. (not at her, just in general). I think why she makes me feel better is when im stressed she looks after me and I feel like all the pressure is gone from me because im in my own little world with just my girlfriend looking after me... its so lovely and cosy and safe I suppose. I sound like a girl :blush: (no offense to girls, thats just a girly thing they say).

And Im careful on the bike, luckily most of the places wher I travel Im used to and so know what bits are ok and what bits to watch out for (like on the main roads where cars pull out without looking... grrr). Thanks for the concern though :)
  • Options
    And Im careful on the bike, luckily most of the places wher I travel Im used to and so know what bits are ok and what bits to watch out for (like on the main roads where cars pull out without looking... grrr). Thanks for the concern though :)

Someone once told me that most motorcycle accidents occur within a 5 mile radius of the home - on the roads we are most familiar with, our concentration levels drop.

No idea how much truth there is in it, but anyway... :)
  • Options
    Probably the case with me I suppose. You do get lulled into a false sense of security I think. Hrrrm. Things just kinda seem to be automatic now, check every single car, or every place a car could appear, double check, etc. etc. but the automation cant be good.

Riding when Im pissed off is probably silly, because I just go speeding everywhere and take roundabouts far too fast, and basically drive like a total idiot :(