Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should we bring opium dens back into the UK?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Beats me why we Brits got rid of opium, because it was an addictive substance, yet kept alcohol, which is also an addictive substance (and also worse for physical health). Never tried the drug but from what I'm read about it it seems no worse than a beer or few. What do you people think? Anyone tried it? Whether you have or not, what's your opinion of it?

Comments

• Options
    I've heard argued that if we brought back opium and coca that the use of heroin and cocaine would drop, I'm not convinced, the people who use heroin use it because its strong, not because they want a mild drug experience.

It was banned (like virtually every other drug) because of racism, the Yellow Peril was going to sweep the nation if we didnt.
  • Options
    Beats me why we Brits got rid of opium, because it was an addictive substance, yet kept alcohol, which is also an addictive substance (and also worse for physical health). Never tried the drug but from what I'm read about it it seems no worse than a beer or few. What do you people think? Anyone tried it? Whether you have or not, what's your opinion of it?
    yes we should and yes it is less harmfull physicaly and emotionaly than alcohol.
  • Options
    Healthwise, opium seems more dangerous i think. I just think of opium/opiate overdoses to be less forgiving than alcohol overdoses/poisoning. Correct me if i'm wrong there.

This might be my expirence with US drinking, but a lot of people here can't just have a few beers to relax, they drink to get wasted. It seems like the same thing would happen with Opium, they'd take so much they'd overdose.

Addictionwise, I think addiction is fine, if the substance is available and isn't causing any major problems in the world.. Like coffee, those people who pound back a few coffees in the morning, a few at lunch, then one or two at night because they need the caffeine.. Who's that hurting? (though it is a little sad) but who know's, I'm young and ignorent.
  • Options
    I say we bring opium houses to the USA :p

Seriously though, I think there is no correct answer in this sort of debate. It solves one problem, but can just as easily cause another. I think in countries with high coke/heroin users they should be tolerated (with strict regulations to prevent overdosing), though...

...better sedated than sped out and potentially aggressive, I suppose...
  • Options
    I say we bring opium houses to the USA :p
    ...better sedated than sped out and potentially aggressive, I suppose...
    lets transform someones house into one! :lol:
    better sober than either though.. no?
  • Options
    Hmm, once I move into my apartment... ;)

But yeah, better sober than either...just easier said than done! As a rule I no longer use/drink more than twice a week, though. I'm getting there! :lol:
  • Options
    I take the view almost every drug should be legalized, so why not? So long as there are laws in place to stop you driving/operating machinery etc while on it (like with alcohol), it would get taken out of the hands of the drug dealers, be safer and probably bring in a fair bit of cash for the Treasury, not to mention free up jail space and court proceedings.

But thats another debate.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:

I take the view almost every drug should be legalized, so why not? So long as there are laws in place to stop you driving/operating machinery etc while on it (like with alcohol), it would get taken out of the hands of the drug dealers, be safer and probably bring in a fair bit of cash for the Treasury, not to mention free up jail space and court proceedings.

But thats another debate.

I suggest someone creates a thread for this