Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cinema or restaurant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, got a little decision here should i take this girl i've met out to the cinema or to a very nice romantic restaurant? scared bout restaurant incase there are awkward silences but would prefer it as it would be more of an 'occasion' im just undecided tbh with you. what would you girls prefer? i met her a couple of times out on friday but only when im drunk but she seems well interested.

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you do both?

Plan to go to the cinema in the early evening, and then go for a bite to eat afterwards.

I wouldn't say go to an uber-romantic restaurant, because its a big pressure so soon after meeting someone.
  • Options
    maybe tho was planning to go out drinking with her afterwards
  • Options
    Don't think I would ever recomend cinema for a date, especially a first date. The whole point is to take the person out to get to know them better, I can't see how you can do that in a cinema where you have to be silent
  • Options
    Sorry just wanted to add something about the awkward silences. Why not take her to somewhere where there is a theme or something. Then if you find there are silences you can talk about the decorations or the entertainment around you, i.e rainforest cafe, planet hollywood etc
  • Options
    I've never thought the cinema is a good idea for a first proper date. The whole point is to get to know them a bit better, and you can't do that by spending two hours staring at a screen in silence. Even if it's only part of the date, I don't see the point. How can she see what a great guy you are, if you can't even talk? But I agree with Kermit. Casual is best, rather than the formal romantic meal, which is a bit intense. Maybe even something like a show where you can talk but there's still something to fill in the awkward silences.
  • Options
    Sorry just wanted to add something about the awkward silences. Why not take her to somewhere where there is a theme or something. Then if you find there are silences you can talk about the decorations or the entertainment around you, i.e rainforest cafe, planet hollywood etc

Never been to any of those places but they sound fun. well she was one to suggest cinema but i had thought of restaurant and this restaurant has the most amazing view, looking over the city and its pretty cheap haha so dont have to spend much on her. :yippe: Not sure if there is a rainforest cafe or planet hollywood round here tho.
  • Options
    I'd arrange to meet for a quick drink in town, chat for a bit then decide what you want to do together, take it from there. If conversation is flowing well then maybe go to get food or something, or if not then go to the cinema. Either way, you can decide together
  • Options
    H-face wrote:
    I'd arrange to meet for a quick drink in town, chat for a bit then decide what you want to do together, take it from there. If conversation is flowing well then maybe go to get food or something, or if not then go to the cinema. Either way, you can decide together

Thats a pretty good idea actually thanks mate, think i may well do that.
  • Options
    Not sure if there is a rainforest cafe or planet hollywood round here tho.

Where abouts do you live?
  • Options
    Where abouts do you live?

Malaysia, im english tho.
  • Options
    Malaysia, im english tho.

ah ok, not sure that I could recommend any places to eat there then really :p. I woul definetly try and go for something more fun than formal though
  • Options
    I'd say that if you decide to go to the cinema then take her out for drinks/meal after so that you get a chance to talk to eachother. Also, after seeing a film you will have something to talk about
  • Options
    I'd say something like a round of indoor crazy golf
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I'd say that if you decide to go to the cinema then take her out for drinks/meal after so that you get a chance to talk to eachother. Also, after seeing a film you will have something to talk about

:yes:

I love film and cinema, food is good too, both is great! Seeing as she suggested film, maybe there's something she specificaly wants to see? or mybe she just loves it- like me! Does your cinema have a bar? if so, you could meet there.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    :yes:

I love film and cinema, food is good too, both is great! Seeing as she suggested film, maybe there's something she specificaly wants to see? or mybe she just loves it- like me! Does your cinema have a bar? if so, you could meet there.

nah no bar at my local cinema im afraid, tho there are bars in and around the the shopping mall where the cinema is, so could go there. nice thanks guys.
  • Options
    cinema = nice, but no chance to get to talk really. but then you could go for a few drinks after.

meal = nice but you don't have to go over the top romantic. and don't sit watching her eat, it's a major no-no (from experience!!).
  • Options
    and don't sit watching her eat, it's a major no-no (from experience!!).
    Not even at a Chinese? It can be quite amusing watching people trying to use chopsticks.
  • Options
    Not even at a Chinese? It can be quite amusing watching people trying to use chopsticks.

well i never try chopsticks 'cause i know i can't use them and just want to get on with eating my food instead of fannying around with some twigs while my food goes cold.

it was at a chinese actually! i went with this lad and he just sat watching me eat. my food was really nice, i just couldn't eat it all 'cause he was putting me off. i should've sat and chewed with my mouth open really. ;)
  • Options
    Lol, it was alright with me cos I was worse than her at using them. Didn't stop me teasing her about it though. Was even worse the next day when she was eating a cream egg. :D
  • Options
    If you've only just met her a few drinks or coffee would be a better idea. Bit expensive going to a restaurant when you don't even know if you are into each other that much.
  • Options
    I'd probably like going to the cinema first and if things seem to hit off with the two of you, then suggest eating afterwards.
  • Options
    meal = nice but you don't have to go over the top romantic. and don't sit watching her eat, it's a major no-no (from experience!!).
    I hate it when guys do that. You end up feeling so bloody fat and self concious!!! It always happens to me as I'm a slow eater and its always guaranteed they will finish their meal before me!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If it's got to be a choice between the two, then go to the cinema. But it won't give you a chance to chat.

Better off doing something completely differnet. Love DiamondGeezer's idea of indoor crazy golf. :) What about something that most big towns now have - ten pin bowling. Plenty of opportunities to chat and have a good laugh. Things like that work better as it's something active, and gives you the opportunity to have a laugh at each other. Oh, and be cheeky and say "Do I get a kiss for every strike I get?" It works a treat. ;)
  • Options
    hey, got a little decision here should i take this girl i've met out to the cinema or to a very nice romantic restaurant? scared bout restaurant incase there are awkward silences but would prefer it as it would be more of an 'occasion' im just undecided tbh with you. what would you girls prefer? i met her a couple of times out on friday but only when im drunk but she seems well interested.

hmm, i agree with others that a formal meal and everything might be abit too much for a first date thing.
  • Options
    Why not take her to bar?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Why not take her to bar?
    gd idea
  • Options
    good luck finding one that doesn't have music blaring loudly so you can't hear what the person is saying.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    good luck finding one that doesn't have music blaring loudly so you can't hear what the person is saying.
    there are plenty of wine bars around and weatherspoons doesnt even play music...
  • Options
    Definately eating. Its far easier to go on a first time date where you are eating.

Interestingly though there has been some research that says if you take a girl to a scary movie they will be more likely to find you attractive?

Tend to find there is much more luck with eating dates.