Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Back to Blonde me thinks..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all!
A couple of months ago i dyed my hair from blonde to dark brown, now i'm kinda wishing I hadnt and wanna dye it back myself, does anyone know of any really good products I could use myself which wouldnt end up in a total mess!! any tips would also be greatly appreciated!
Thanks xx :flirt:

Comments

• Options
    Whatever you do do not use a pre lightener. I did and my hair went like a neon orange colour :impissed:
  • Options
    So just buy a box of blonde and whack it on? My main worry is it going orange, but if ive had the brown on my hair for this long sureley it shouldnt?
  • Options
    dark to blonde is tricky, and if you're set on doing it yourself, you should do it in stages to avoid totally knackering your hair.

when i've done that, i've gone from dark brown to mid brown, left it a couple of months, then gone to light brown, left that a couple of months, then to dark blonde...etc..etc.

getting rid of dyed brown either needs stripping (which isn't a do at home job!) or bleaching. if you buy normal blonde dye, your roots will go a lovely blonde shade and everything that was previously dyed dark will not change a bit.

if you're doing it at home, you need prelightener (bleach, basically) which probably will make your hair go orange, and then you need a normal haircolour to pur on after (a light or mid brown should do the job).
  • Options
    Might be a good idea to pop into a hairdressers and ask them; a lot dofree consultations and wouldn't mind advising you. They'd also be able to look at the condition and colour of your hair and tell you a lot more exactly what the risks of it going dodgy colours are.....
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

if you're doing it at home, you need prelightener (bleach, basically) which probably will make your hair go orange, and then you need a normal haircolour to pur on after (a light or mid brown should do the job).

Dont put on a light blonde after bleach like i did cos it goes like an even brighter yellow/orange! (I had to go to work like that :o )

Best bet is to put on an ash blonde or light brown afterwards like kaffrin says.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i did this, blonde to brunette. i would recommend just goin to the hairdressers and getting highlights put through, and you dont have to worry about it going wrong. good luck
  • Options
    I dyed my hair blonde after dying it brown a few weeks ago. It turned to a straw like texture and went a horrible grey colour.

In the end i went to a hairdresser to sort it out. Therefore I suggest you see a hairdresser as the know best
  • Options
    I've gone from blonde, to dark brown, to black, to red-brown, to middly-light brown =P You will have to use a pre-lightener to strip the colour from your hair. Your hair will almost certainly go orange, though the intensity of this depends on the darkness of the colour you've got on your hair right now. Best to put a cool tone - like kaffrin said, a light brown/middly brown - on it, because if you're doing it blonde straight after your hair will be completely overprocessed. If your hair is anything like mine it will be very dry and fragile for a week or so afterwards, but do a few intensive conditioning treatments to get it back into shape and it should be ok. I'm not sure what your next move should be, personally once it's light brown I wouldn't strip it again at least for 3 months, then dye it blonde, or you could use head and shoulders/wash and go to fade the colour out of your hair then dye it blonde after a few months..

on second thoughts please just ask a hairdresser =P I've only just now managed to get my hair to a semblence of normality and it has taken two months.