Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Milosevic found dead in prison

The evil architecht of the ethnic cleansing policy in the Balkans during the 1990s has been under arrest for years. He was being held by the United Nations War Crimes Tribunal. He ensured the legal process would drag out for years and years, just like Saddam is now keen to do. And it looks like his tactic has worked. For the former Yugoslavian President, Slobodan Milosevic, is dead.

According to Sky News, he "has died in prison in The Hague, it has been confirmed. His death has robbed his opponents of the chance to see his trial completed. The War Crimes Tribunal has ordered an inquiry into his death. Officials said he appeared to have died from natural causes." :: Details ::

I can't help but feel that some of the truths about the conflict will be following him into his grave. :( And before you ask, I have no sympathy for his death. I believe him to be a war criminal, I'm shedding no tears. Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Watch me cry :crying:
  • Options
    I believe he was killed. Its all part of the great Balkans cover-up conspiracy.
  • Options
    Holy crap!

He was entertaining in his trials though.
  • Options
    Excuse me while I dance a little jig.

In seriousness, it's unfortunate that justice will never be seen to be done; but it'd be hard to be saddened by his death.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Excuse me while I dance a little jig.
    Can I join you in that dance? :p Seems a good way to commemorate the event...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Can I join you in that dance? :p Seems a good way to commemorate the event...

I have an open-door policy on my jigs; but it would be wrong of me to turn this into a party...

:yeees:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I have an open-door policy on my jigs; but it would be wrong of me to turn this into a party...

:yeees:
    erm there will be some people in the balklans that will be partying
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The evil architecht of the ethnic cleansing policy in the Balkans during the 1990s ...
    was he though?
    he certainly hasn't been found guilty has he?
    it's now looking like he may well have been poisoned ...to save red faces should the TRUTH come out.
  • Options
    If the truth came out the amount of blame that would have fallen on the EU, USA, UN and the Croats and Muslims would have deflected so much from the Serbs it would be unbelievable.

With out a doubt, i think he was poisoned because it looked every moe likely he was been successful in his defence of himself.

He was undoubtedley guilty of War Crimes and made decisions that related to Serb-Bosnians ethnic cleansing policies. Makes no difference if he had lived and been found guilty or not. He woul dhave still lived in a Dictator Prison in reasonable comfort, it is not like they lock them up in real prisons like ordinary criminals have to go.

Personally i think if Saddam had been put on trial at the Hague instead of Iraq, he would already have been found guilty, because it would be hard for to do what he is doing in the Iraq court now in the Hague.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    He was undoubtedley guilty of War Crimes and made decisions that related to Serb-Bosnians ethnic cleansing policies..
    Excuse me, but I think you'll find that was for the court to decide ..... not you, pompously judging a man from afar with no more knowledge than from what you have read, heard, or seen in the media.
  • Options
    *grabs some popcorn and pulls up a comfy chair to watch the subject v. Rich Kid celebrity death match of the century! :thumb:
  • Options
    Rick, i think since i had to study this moment in history at length towrite my dissertation, i am some what versed in the events and facts of what occured!

I know all about the student protest that was not put down by force but which Milosevic personally became involved and talked the situation out peacefully, but i also know all about the smuggled weapons the Serbs got into Bosnia via JNA (Yugoslav national army) officers sympathetic to the cause. i know both sides of Milosevic and what a good politician he was from more then just what the media reported or what i viewed from afar.

I also do not cast total blame on him, which is pretty obvious to anybody who can read, simply by looking at my original post! The croats were horrifically brutal and manipulative, forcing the Bosnian government into a situation where they had no choice but to declare independence which lead to the conflict in the first place. The muslims and there amazingly savage tactics, armed by the americans illegally also did not help the situation. But frankly, all the sides were guilty, and so i shall pass judgement, it is my opinion and perogative to do so.
  • Options
    Excuse me, but I think you'll find that was for the court to decide ..... not you, pompously judging a man from afar with no more knowledge than from what you have read, heard, or seen in the media.
    Blah, blah, blah... you are depriving a village of its idiot...

Milosevic was guilty, in the same way Saddam Hussein will be found guilty and the same way Adolf Hitler would have been found guilty had he lived and been forced into the Nuremberg trials.
  • Options
    yes but the problem there is, he might indeed have been guilty, but wheres the evidence
  • Options
    well i can't say i'll miss him but it's all very convenient isn't it, another one swept under ther rug.......
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yes but the problem there is, he might indeed have been guilty, but wheres the evidence
    Megalomaniacs always do well out of these trials. By the time that any trial happens, the evidence that it happened will have mysteriously "vanished"...
  • Options
    can you say the same of that, where anyone is found innocent that the evidence mysteriously disappeared, theres a reason we have innocent till proven guilty
  • Options
    Sad really what the world of spin and misinformation has brought us to. When people believe that a national leader is not responsible for the things done by his nations forces

Hitler was innocent too you know... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    As for this death. No tears here - a perverse form of justice has prevailed.

Four wars - all lost
    Greater Serbia - a shadow of it's former self
    National Leader - kicked out by "his" people and he never saw freedom again...
  • Options
    Sad really what the world of spin and misinformation has brought us to. When people believe that a national leader is not responsible for the things done by his nations forces

Hitler was innocent too you know... :rolleyes:

Does any "leader" hold a gun to the head of those forces ? Why do they do what they do ? Following orders ? Perhaps a world of spin and misinformation ?
  • Options
    Here`s a snippet from his "trial" where he cross-examined Kosovo Liberation Army guerrilla leader Sabit Kadriu :
    Pres. Milosevic: You said you heard about the KLA in 1991.

Sabit Kadriu: I read in newspapers that something happened connected with that.

Pres. Milosevic: You were involved in public activities as you say since the beginning of the 1990s. Do you know about the activity of the organization of Osama bin laden in Kosovo & Metohija?

Sabit Kadriu: I heard about bin Laden this year but never before. Only when the crime was committed against American people.

Richard May [ICTY's British chief judge and Laborite who died in July 2004]: Enough about that. Mr. Milosevic.

Pres. Milosevic: Do you know about the Mujahideen and their atrocities in Kosovo & Metohija?

Sabit Kadriu: That is not true that there were Mujahideen in Kosovo. You have invented that. That is the fruit of your imagination.

Pres. Milosevic: Well, just say 'it's not correct' or 'I don't know.' You are spending time. I will read you a passage and you will tell me if that is correct or not. Al Qaeda (Reads) "functions through some of the terrorist organizations that operate under its umbrella or with its support, including..." I'm going to skip over this next bit, "Albania," etc. Do you consider that to be correct? (1)

Sabit Kadriu: That is not right, and that is the fruit of your imagination.

Pres. Milosevic: [Holds the document in the air. It includes an FBI insignia.] Well, this is the congressional statement of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Richard May: What is the date of it?

Pres. Milosevic: December 18, last year. After September 11th.

Richard May: Very well. You can put that into evidence in due course. Meanwhile the witness says he knows nothing of it.

Pres. Milosevic: I am asking the witness, is the paragraph I read correct and he said it was not correct and it was a lie and the fruit of my imagination. And now I am going to ask you [the witness] is the following correct? [Reads] "All Qaeda supports Islamic fighters in Bosnia, Afghanistan, Chechnya and in Kosovo". Is that correct.

Sabit Kadriu: I know nothing about that. I'm not here to talk about Bosnia or Afghanistan. I'm here to talk about Kosovo. There are no Mujahideen in Kosovo and that is the truth.

Pres. Milosevic: But I have asked you what do you know about their activities, not whether they are there since that is indisputable. So you want to say that you know nothing about their activity.

Richard May: No, he says there are no Mujahideen in Kosovo. That's what he says.

Pres. Milosevic: All right but he doesn't need so much assistance. Obviously Al Qaeda fighters have been identified in Kosovo, Bosnia and Albania and is that correct or not according to your knowledge?

Sabit Kadriu: I've already said I know nothing about other countries and when you speak about Kosovo I can say that there are no Mujahideen there.

Pres. Milosevic: That last passage I have quoted is from MSNBC and it says, "Sources: Congressional Research Service, Frontline."
  • Options
    If I ever visit the area I'll ensure to take a piss-on-his-grave detour.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If I ever visit the area I'll ensure to take a piss-on-his-grave detour.

"His" ??? I think you are spoilt for choice.
  • Options
    It's a shame he didn't last until the trial's conclusion but I suppose that's a risk you take when you give an unhealthy man in his '60s the longest trial in history.
  • Options
    According to the latest news he was taking the wrong medicine on purpose so he would fall ill and hopefully sent to Moscow for treatment, from which he would not return to The Hague.

Oops...
  • Options
    Goodnight, Mr Funnymassmurderman!
  • Options
    Four wars - all lost
    Greater Serbia - a shadow of it's former self
    National Leader - kicked out by "his" people and he never saw freedom again...

All very true, however the results of Serbia been weakened came more from America and outside involvement then it ever did with his internal actions.
    And to say he was kicked out, is true if you mean office, not so true of his nation as it was more the Americans and UN threatening a full on bombing campaign unless he was handed over by the Serb Government. Milosevic was never arrested in Serbia for war crimes, only for tampering with elections.

Still, Justice done, i think in cases like this were it is clear no Martyrdom shall occur, the Death penality should be considered you know, for brutal tyrants i mean.